Goldfish PPI recliaming - Pre Barclays

Hi

I'm looking for advice on reclaiming PPI on an old Goldfish CC that i know had PPI on it. I've written to Barclays regarding the account but received a letter in response to say that as the card was closed before Barclays took over Goldfish, that they had no responsibility toward miss-selling of PPI on my account.

This sounds odd to me as I would think that when they took over Goldfish it would be warts and all as it were?

Comments

• sava05
    sava05 Posts: 95 Forumite
    When did you issue the Goldfish Credit Card and is your account closed?
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite

as the card was closed before Barclays took over Goldfish, that they had no responsibility
    As they didn't take over your account this seems reasonable.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,423
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Not if your goldfish card had already been closed when they took it over. In that case, you have to complain to whoever had it when you closed it.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • dazza12
    dazza12 Posts: 287
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The history of Goldfish pre-Barclaycard is very patchy, you may need to contact a couple of organisations to get data.

Goldfish was originally a joint venture between Centrica (British Gas) and HFC from 1996 until 2000.

In 2000 Centrica dropped HFC as its partner and then joined with LloydsTSB who administered the card. However, Centrica were in a dispute with HFC until late 2001 regarding customer data, HFC won so there were some transfer delays until then. In 2003 Lloyds bought out the partnership.

Morgan Stanley bought the business in 2005, later adminstering it under its Discover cards subsidiary.

Barclaycard then bought the business in 2008.
    Competition wins:
    2010 - approx £450. 2011 - approx £800. 2012 - approx £300. 2013 - nothing so far!
  • sava05
    My Goldfish card was with HFC before it went into default, so I had to contact HFC when they did find my details. Depends on when you issued your goldfish credit card.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    dazza12 wrote: »
    The history of Goldfish pre-Barclaycard is very patchy, you may need to contact a couple of organisations to get data.

Goldfish was originally a joint venture between Centrica (British Gas) and HFC from 1996 until 2000.

In 2000 Centrica dropped HFC as its partner and then joined with LloydsTSB who administered the card. However, Centrica were in a dispute with HFC until late 2001 regarding customer data, HFC won so there were some transfer delays until then. In 2003 Lloyds bought out the partnership.

Morgan Stanley bought the business in 2005, later adminstering it under its Discover cards subsidiary.

Barclaycard then bought the business in 2008.

It's actually more complicated than that.:)

Originally Goldfish was a joint venture between Centrica and HFC bank; Centrica owned the brand, HFC issued the cards. Then about 2000, Centrica terminated the deal with HFC, and set up Goldfish Bank in conjunction with Lloyds. In 2003 Lloyds TSB acquired the brand name and assets of Goldfish Bank, but the actual Goldfish Bank was run down and finally dissolved in October 2011. Lloyds sold Goldfish to Morgan Stanley in 2005. Morgan Stanley spun off its credit card business into a separate company called Discover in 2007, and Discover then sold Goldfish to Barclays in 2008.

So as far as PPI is concerned, it depends on when you took the card out and who sold you the PPI. HFC Bank, Goldfish Bank (FSCS job?), Lloyds, Discover, or Barclays.
  • Thanks for responses. I will start at the beginning and work my thru to LTSB
  • sava05
    Well the OP is more interested in the credit card part of it, and all depends when he or she first obtained the card. Mine was HFC Bank when I issued it in 1998 then I defaulted it in 2001 before it even got to Lloyds TSB, so my claim is with HFC Bank.
  • WHat is present position with Goldfish PPI
  • Goldfish don't need PPI.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family