Teenager and trainers

Options
13»

Comments

• Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I remember having some ' hi tec' trainers when at school! Some people laughed but fortunately I couldn't have cared less. They were comfy so that was all that mattered!
    I've paid £60 for my child's trainers and to me that's pushing the limit. They have had loads of wear and are really comfy so I think its reasonable. If my child wanted £100 trainers I'd probably tell them they have to contribute something towards them. At 15 they need to learn the value of things and make sensible choices. Since we started giving our 11 year old pocket money about 3 years back the type of purchases made from it have been very considered. He will look for bargains and if not 100% sure, wait and have a think about it. He doesn't want to be wasteful when its coming from his pocket.
  • borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    When my daughter was about 12 she kept wanting more out of school clothes. It was getting ridiculous so we agreed that she could have an allowance ie how much we could afford/ would normally spend on her clothes, and we would buy all school related clothing uniform/ shoes/ sports kit etc. After the first couple of weeks she didn't 'need' anymore and is now excellent at budgeting.

We did the same thing for my son , he wanted all the designer things but he saved for ages to buy one item but he did look after it. Even now he's really fussy with his things, just a few quality pieces that he really looks after.

They are both adults now and I think that having to budget like that has helped them manage their finances..
  • Kuznec
    Kuznec Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    The child is already old enough to earn this money. And when she earns them, let's see if she wants to spend them so quickly.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Carl31 wrote: »
    Would you spend 120 quid on a pair of trainers for a 15 year old daughter?

Opinions on such a purchase greatly received...

Short answer. No.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • The_Ang
    The_Ang Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    If kids know the value of money then they wouldn't ask for shoes so expensive. Both my teenage boys were non-label orientated and used to laugh at those stupid enough to spend big on a label.

Completely agree with this. I think it will be a great time to start teaching the value of money. Get her do something ("work") to get that money for her own need. Teach her how to save money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure