PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

New Baby Present

Hi all

I'm looking for some advice!

A friend of mine had a baby two months ago, who I am meeting for the first time this week! I know that my friend is a little short of money, and will not be working for the foreseeable future and I'd like to get her a baby present which will be useful. I've got around £30 to spend on it.

Does anyone have any ideas what I could get her? I thought about making up a wee box of baby supplies, but I really have no idea what they could be (i'm a child-free singleton!). Any suggestions will be gratefully received!
2024 goals
GC: Jan £160 (annual £1920)
Savings: save £10K (or move house)
Health: Lose 3 stone
Mind: read at least 24 books

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    That sounds good. It'll save her money and time.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Maybe some nappies? They are told in hospital not to use baby products i.e wipes,powder,lotions etc.....water wipes are ok .
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    You can buy packs for new Mums from places like Boots so why not check online to see what they contain ? That would give you ideas and then you could make up a pack to suit your friend.

Clothes are always welcome but buy the larger sizes. DD1 had loads of first size stuff when DGS was born. Or you could get things like plates and feeder cups that she will be able to use once the baby starts on solids.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    What a lovely gesture!

Nappies, wipes, nappy sacs, cotton wool, muslin cloths, a changing mat, a moses basket (often to be had in chazzers although understandably people can be picky about wanting to use such items for their newborns), baby bath and moisturiser, a special soft towel for baby, some baby grows...the list is endless! And slip sonething in for Mum as well.

And most of all...keep being a good friend :)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • could you give her vouchers then she can get what she needs? (am thinking something like asda gift card or similar) it would be great for her when she runs out of cash (and baby food or nappies etc), it would be a great back up if she was short
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,504 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I would be tempted to buy some M&S Meal for £10 vouchers for them, so Mum and Dad can have a little treat, from what I can remember most people bought gifts for the baby rather than Mum, so a night off cooking might be appreciated.

Lovely thought whatever you choose x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'd also go for vouchers. If baby is 2 months old, she probably has everything she needs already, at least for now, so you risk doubling up if you go for baby essentials. Maybe get a nice book (Julia Donaldson board book, something like that) and then slip the voucher inside. Something nice for mum is also a good idea, even if just a bar of chocolate!

Vouchers for somewhere like Mothercare would be useful but the supermarkets do most of the same stuff, often for less, so ones for her nearest/usual supermarket might help more even if it doesn't look as 'baby-friendly'.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Take a home made meal, one to eat and one for the freezer.
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Do you know what your friend already has? No point in duplicating after all.

Larger size baby clothes - they don't stay little for long and soon grow out of newborn sizes!

I like the idea of a gift voucher so mum can spend as/when she wants on what she needs.

A treat for mum (eg a couple of magazines) as I'm sure all her money will go on the new arrival.

I know you said you're a child-free singleton but if you're brave enough you could go for an IOU of an evening's baby-sitting! :D If not, then make sure you stay in touch regularly - being a new mum can be very isolating after being a working girl. :)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    jackyann wrote: »
    Take a home made meal, one to eat and one for the freezer.
    Double check her freezer situation first. I don't know many people that leave much space in theirs!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure