The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Husky heat pumps - has any one else had issues

JackMar
JackMar Posts: 8 Forumite
This post has been deleted - issue resolved by Husky

Comments

• We too have strong issues with our heat pump and have since had it disconnected by husky as it was costing a fortune in electricity to run, husky have been no help at all in resolving the problem, and at the moment we are basically being ignored. We are now in the process of taking the matter further to try and recoup our costs.
  • JackMar
    JackMar Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 17 August 2016 at 3:41PM
    This post has been deleted - issue resolved by Husky
  • I'm interested: how much of a survey did they perform on your house with regards insulation, air tightness, existing UFH or radiator sizing etc? These factors are important in heat pump assessments.

Does the heat pump also heat water?

In general, ASHPs are unlikely to be cheaper than gas boilers. They're more of a cost effective replacement for oil, LPG, electrical heating etc. I agree about the OFT.
  • we have just had a Husky ASHP installed a fortnight ago in our bungalow, Had electric storage rads removed.
    Does anyone have any comparisons ASHP v Storage heaters?? at the moment not seeing any improvement cost wise......

thanks
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,586
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Not an easy question to answer. Theoretically it should be cheaper but a lot depends on how well it's been installed. What it's coupled to (radiators, underfloor, fan convectors etc). What controls has it got. What is the flow temperature. How are you using it. Have you still got E7 electricity. Does it heat your hot water. Is your insulation & draught proofing as good as it can be.

A heatpump must be used in a different way to conventional central heating. Usually the flow temperature is a lot lower so you need bigger radiators and it takes a lot longer to heat up the house.

Using it with high flow temperatures or short heating cycles will dramatically increase the cost especially if it's equipped with electrical back-up heaters which kick in to boost it's performance.
    If it's heating your hot water tank as well then ideally you need to reduce the temperature to around 45-50 degrees. Anything above about 50-55 degrees will require the backup or immersion heater.

Most heatpumps are most efficient when the flow temperature is around 30-40 degrees and the outside temp is around 7 degrees. Running it any hotter or when the outside temp is much colder will seriously impact you energy consumption.

In my opinion they are not suitable to use with E7 as you need to have them on nearly all the time so you need cheaper electricity during the day and the evening rather than just for 7 hours overnight when you can turn it down a bit to save energy.
    To get the best out of a heatpump requires you to understand how it works and how to optimise your heating regime.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • we have just had a Husky ASHP installed a fortnight ago in our bungalow, Had electric storage rads removed.
    Does anyone have any comparisons ASHP v Storage heaters?? at the moment not seeing any improvement cost wise......

thanks

If it has been badly installed or specified then it is possible that you electric bills could be similar to storage heating.

I would raise your concerns with the installer, as it is possible that the heat pump has not been set up properly or is faulty.

If they can't help contact MCS if it is an RHI installation or the installers competent persons scheme provider if it isn't.
  • i have had a husky heat system for about three years now, and a number of points has arisen. i also now have the green deal assesement which means the house qualifies for a green fuel payment of about £28 a week for 11 years. one thing which is not mentioned is that most houses who replace their old gas boiler with a ASHP system, have insufficient surface radiator surface to dissipate the heat. think about it, if the ASHP runs at about 35c and the old gas boiler ran the rads at 60c the surface area would have to be doubled to get the same warmth. this is a hidden cost, i had to fit 11 rads. at a cost of about £1000 (they are type 22, doubles) also, the roof insulation had to be increased, and fortunatly i already had cavity wall insulation. to get the green deal you have to meet certain insulation targets then you can apply for the rebate. i am now awaiting the electricity bill and at the moment the jury is out! feel free to contact me for further info. if required. roger.
  • for complaints about renewable installations contact the Renewable Energy Consumer Code (RECC) and they should be able to help you get any compensation you may be entitled to.

In regards to fixing the problem contact a reputable installer and tell them you have a heat pump that is not working correctly and could they come out and diagnose the problem and quote to fix it.

99% of problems with ASHP are with the installation not the heat pump its self.
    "talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish" - Euripides
  • Hello,

I had one of there heat pumps installed and im saving money on my gas bill, my electric went up but still cheaper. Im interested to find out what happened in the end? Did you sort the problems?
  • We were without hot water for 4 months from April 2016. Husky charged £766 for us to upgrade our heat pump to their latest model and the new heat pump did not work as I say for four months from April. Now we have no heating. Despite many calls to them since last Thursday 3rd November still no engineer has come.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback