Not on the electoral roll? You must register to get credit!

Comments

• so2006
    so2006 Posts: 638 Forumite
    I just checked the council website and it says if i send it before the 10th august they will add me on the 10th September.

I think I should start my own thread on the business thread about the "search" etc lol

Thanks for the help everyone
  • Updated 8 April 2008

What's this about?

To get credit, be it a loan, mortgage, credit card or even mobile phone contract, it's essential to be registered on the electoral roll before applying. Many people assume they're automatically registered, or don't bother doing it. Yet not being on the roll will have massive implications on your credit worthiness.

Plus, for anyone in England and Wales, it's vital to be registered before 16 April if you want to vote in the local elections on 1 May.

How do I register?

If you're not registered, or even if you're just not sure, visit the AboutMyVote website and type in your home postcode to find and download your local authority's registration form. Print it, complete it and then simply send to the address at the top of the form. It takes about 3 minutes and you're done!

Why does it affect my credit rating?

It's one of many factors that does. Credit reference agencies use electoral roll information to confirm your identity, which is then passed onto lenders when you apply for credit, to prevent fraud. Thus, if you're not on the roll when making an application it'll appear that you don't exist, or you're starting afresh with no credit record; both will have a negative impact.

To read more about the things that affect your credit history, and how you can go about checking and improving it, read Your Credit Rating guide

Who can register?

Although you can't vote or get credit before turning 18, anyone over the age of 16 can register provided they're a British, Irish, Commonwealth or European Union citizen.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

I dont agree.

I never ever registered i managed to get credit when i never built up a credit file. I managed to get 4 contracts one which had a free laptop.
    I managed to borrow 3k at the bank and i managed to get credit with shop direct.

I think the whole electrol roll is flawed and i dont agree with it. Another way of keeping track of the people. Anyone can find out where you live if your registered.
    even joe public. Ideal for stalkers and weirdos.

I never would register.
    :A
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    kentguy07 wrote: »
    I dont agree.

I never ever registered i managed to get credit when i never built up a credit file. I managed to get 4 contracts one which had a free laptop.
    I managed to borrow 3k at the bank and i managed to get credit with shop direct.

I think the whole electrol roll is flawed and i dont agree with it. Another way of keeping track of the people. Anyone can find out where you live if your registered.
    even joe public. Ideal for stalkers and weirdos.

I never would register.

just opt out of the copy they make available
  • kentguy07 wrote: »
    I never would register.

I'm not on the electoral roll as I don't want to be called up for jury service but I was still accepted for the Halifax Credit Card and a Vodafone contract.
  • superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    custardy wrote: »
    just opt out of the copy they make available

I do wonder where some of these search sites get their info though as there was one (can't remember which one) that listed my mum on it as a supposed "electoral roll" search, which is quite impressive since she's never registered (nor allowed to).
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • sequence
    sequence Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    It's a myth that you need to be on the electoral roll to get credit - probably started by the gov.

I've never been on it and have more credit than I know what to do with. (stoozing....)

I wouldn't trust this article..
  • ElkyElky
    ElkyElky Posts: 2,459 Forumite
    When I wasn't on the electoral roll, I was able to get credit just fine however most lenders wanted me to send them ID and address verification.

If you're on the E/R , they won't usually ask you to send verification, not to mention some lenders not accepting applications from people who aren't registered.

As for the creepy stalkers, just opt out of the edited register and your information will disappear from public view.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • ElkyElky wrote: »
    As for the creepy stalkers, just opt out of the edited register and your information will disappear from public view.

That depends on whether your council makes an error or not...
    Not Again
  • superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    sequence wrote: »
    It's a myth that you need to be on the electoral roll to get credit - probably started by the gov.

I've never been on it and have more credit than I know what to do with. (stoozing....)

I wouldn't trust this article..

Depends on what you want. I know for certain some banks won't let you have a business account unless you're on the electoral roll. That's the problem my mum had in trying to transfer banks for her business. It was the fact she wasn't on the electoral roll that declined her.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • *Vikki*
    *Vikki* Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    Updated 8 April 2008

What's this about?

To get credit, be it a loan, mortgage, credit card or even mobile phone contract, it's essential to be registered on the electoral roll before applying. Many people assume they're automatically registered, or don't bother doing it. Yet not being on the roll will have massive implications on your credit worthiness.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

I am not on the electrical roll and have an excellent credit history. Few credit cards and had a car on finance and have a contract phone. Never had problems getting loans.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure