Eve memory foam mattress

Starting to look for a new mattress online, pretty much settled on memory foam (wanted one for years, couldn’t afford them last time I bought a mattress ten years ago), and have become quickly overwhelmed by the choices out there. The Eve mattress (www.evemattress.co.uk) is really tempting me – looks potentially great - I was wondering if anyone on here had one and what they thought? (Any offer codes welcome too, lol)

Comments

• Tealblue
    Tealblue Posts: 929
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    If you're sure they will honour their promise of a 100-day 'trial', what have you got to lose...? Bit worried by the fact it's delivered in a box, though; surely a mattress should be flat?
  • JJ1974_2
    JJ1974_2 Posts: 24 Forumite
    edited 30 May 2017 at 8:53AM
    {Content removed by MSE Investigations}

{Content removed by MSE Investigations}

It may be that the mattress is fine and the 100 day trial thing is completely legit. But this has also got me thinking that if they are willing to lose money on all the customers that buy the mattress, try it for 100 days and then return it. There must be quite a bit of mark-up/profit in the price of all the mattresses in the first place otherwise they'd surely be losing money?
    I'm also struggling to find anything tangible about the claims they make about having sold over 70,000 mattresses with another/previous company before they started this one. The only info I can find links the owners to Zen Bedrooms and Groupon / City deals.

Surely Groupon and similar discount sites such as City Deals were the very worst culprits in terms of regularly creating a fake new brand that no one had ever heard of and putting up a quick website advertising the goods at massively inflated prices only to then put it on Groupon / Citydeals etc offering a massively deceptive discount making it look as if you were getting a huge bargain when in fact you'd just been conned.

A lot of the info on the Eve website seems to be about the owners, not really the mattress. It seems 2 or 3 of the owners used to head a company called Zen Bedrooms - so does anybody know if Zen Bedrooms were in fact one of the false discounting companies that regularly offered huge discounts on their mattresses through Groupon or City Deals? As I'd really like to know who and what kind of people I'd be trusting and buying from at Eve mattress as it's a huge leap of faith buying from a company that has barely been around a few months.
    Anyone bought or know anything about their old company, Zen bedrooms?

(Sorry for my scepticism, but it is quite a bit of money and a big leap of faith for me, and I want to be sure that the mattress really is worth the money and that I'm not being taken in with a nicely designed website and lovely packaging and so in - It’s the mattress that I really need to know is worth the money - as that's what I would be sleeping on for the next 10 years. The packaging will have been put in the recycle bin minutes after the mattress has been opened…)
  • Pinkypants
    Pinkypants Posts: 1,337
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Well if Eve is anything like Zen Bedrooms, I'd stay well away from them.

Zen Bedrooms mattresses are very over price for the spec.

I'd say the sales pitch and Eve's website is fantastic, but that's about as far as it goes. Not displaying what is in the mattress makes the alarm bells ring somewhat. You can get memory foam vac packaged 4ft6 mattress online from around £100! It could be a jazz up version of that for all we know.
    Helping the country to sleep better....ZZZzzzzzzz
  • JJ1974_2
    It definitely is the same people behind Zen Bedrooms, so doesn't bode well AT ALL for Eve mattress. Rather telling that Eve claims to be all about "revolutionising" and shaking up the misleading old mattress industry, when trading as Zen Bedrooms they were the worst culprits!

Looks to me now that it's nothing more than a slick marketing effort and no substance with the product itself. Any company that is more concerned about the founders profiles over the product, as Eve seems to be, won't be getting my custom. The few reviews I can find are rather sketchy and false-sounding, and there's a remarkably transparent looking "unboxing" video on YouTube... hmmm.

Pinkypants, do you see any genuine indicator of the mattress quality/performance on that website, and do you think it's value for money?

Way too many red flags for me I think, and I'm glad I didn't jump straight in with a purchase now.
  • Pinkypants
    Pinkypants Posts: 1,337
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    JJ1974 wrote: »

Pinkypants, do you see any genuine indicator of the mattress quality/performance on that website, and do you think it's value for money?

As there is no description to the spec of the product, I can't say.

That for me alone says stay away!
    Helping the country to sleep better....ZZZzzzzzzz
  • Pun
    Pun Posts: 740
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I bought one of these from John Lewis: http://www.johnlewis.com/store/john-lewis-open-memory-mattress-double/p230943978?navAction=jump&_requestid=19661098

£250 for an excellent quality sprung double mattress with a layer of memory foam - can't believe how comfortable it is. Looking at the reviews on the John Lewis website, I'm not alone! Perhaps worth considering?
  • JJ1974_2
    Thanks Pun, that does look good. I think I'd be a lot happier sticking with an established name like John Lewis as well, at this stage.
  • blissfulbabe
    blissfulbabe Posts: 162
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I bought an Eve mattress about 3 months ago to replace my aging memory foam mattress - I have to say I think it's fantastic!

When I first lay on it I thought it was going to be too soft and not provide any support but I wake each morning without any aches and pains. It has all the advantages of a memory foam mattress but the layer of laytex on top mean you don't have that sinking feeling you get with memory foam and I don't feel I have to roll 'uphill' when turning over at night.

I realise three months is too soon to be able to say how well the mattress will last but my first impressions have been overwhelmingly positive
    Don't judge people on they way they look, the way they speak or what they're called because they can't help that.

Only judge people on what they say and what they do.
  • lauriemac
    lauriemac Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 29 September 2015 at 2:30PM
    I like the look of the Eve Mattress and the trial period, but I am concerned that this company is only months old and after spending over £1000 on a new memory foam mattress only just more than 3 years ago (which has since collapsed and is now like a hammock) I am nervous about how durable these things are and how long they will actually last.

A few questions that anyone with knowledge of beds may be able to help me with:

They advertise that the top layer is Natural Latex that will keep you cooler than memory foam - they also originally claimed on their website that it was Natural and Organic but this looks like it’s now been removed. On pressing a bit further with Eve Mattress directly on this point they have now told me that the Latex top layer is actually 60% Natural and 40% man made synthetic Latex. Not 100% natural as I had presumed form their marketing.

Can anyone tell me whether this mix of latex is any better than 100% Natural latex and whether this is likely to be cooler to sleep on as a result?
    They've also said that the second layer of Memory Foam is made from 50kg density stuff and again, I'm keen to know whether this is likely to actually last the 10 years they advertise it being guaranteed for?
    I couldn't find out the density of either the Latex layer (which turns out not to be 'natural' as it says on the website) or the bottom base layer of foam even after asking them directly. And they don't publish any of these details on their website at all.

There does seem to be good reviews for the Eve Mattress but all of them are only months old at best and I really don’t want to be replacing another expensive mattress in only a few years' time.

(I'm looking for a King size for my partner and I, we are 13 and 10 stone respectively)

Can anyone tell me whether based on the info above this mattress is likely to last for 10 years and whether at £600 it is actually good value for money?

PS: They also said that you can't wash the cover in the washing machine (which I particularly liked about my old mattress) even though the cover has a zipper. If you have a spill on this mattress, how would you go about cleaning it without ruining it or voiding the warranty (I've tried looking for conditions about the warranty but it is very vague indeed so I have no idea what would actually be covered if needed)?
  • Haffiana
    Haffiana Posts: 733
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You can buy a washable mattress cover. Most mattresses (I would have said all until I read your post) don't have a removable cover.

What I do not understand is - what is the point of covering memory foam with latex? Surely that completely negates the point of having memory foam? This seems like a complete nonsense.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure