We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream thread continues.....

Options

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    choille wrote: »

Our neighbour's collie had vanished but had mysteriously appeared back at lunchtime................. neighbour reckons it came back cleaner than when it disappeared, but starving. It's such a cracking dog he thinks someone nicked it & it's made its way back. Whatever - it's a mystery.

Getting some windas in tomoorrow, gettin some windas in tomorrow, getting some windas in tomorrow..............

Our cat was cat-napped when she was young. We knew she wouldn't stray, or if she'd been hit by a car, that someone would likely know. We left a message at every house in the area for folk to check sheds etc. Nothing.

Then DD thought of printing posters with a picture, so I did some and we put one on every lamp post in the area.

Within an hour or so she was home, starving & covered in fleas.

We think someone fancied her as a pet, but when the posters went up, they knew others would recognise her, as she's quite distinctive. ;)

Another time she went for the weekend, but on that occasion she was trapped in a neighbour's house. She'd gone in just before they left, but unlike the cats which lived there, with no magnetic collar, she couldn't get out again!

Good job they had a litter tray .....:rotfl:

Go, go, go, the windas! :j:j:j
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Options
    some of my cats in the past have had '2' homes:rotfl: they would toddle off, and come back smelling of purfume etc...

This bay challenge.... I am glad the 4 of us ( unless some of the others want to join in as well) are mad enough for it, and to be honest we will be all winners in it, as we will get more money...

Do you want it on a weekly basis? ( :cool::D rude thought alert lol)

the amount of items you sold?

overall money taken ( before anthing taken off, p&p, fees paypal fees etc)

or after all exppenses.?

Rhiwie how did you get off in the auction?
    Work to live= not live to work
  • rozeepozee
    rozeepozee Posts: 1,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hehe, we've come back to lots of blooming hydrangeas. They're gorgeous. Everything else plant wise looks pretty wild or weedy to me. I think we're going to have to have a good rethink about the garden. I'm gonna try and post a photo of the plot later.

Thanks for all your hellos. I'm off to read on....
  • rozeepozee
    Options
    I had a one eyed Siamese cat that went astray in Sheffield and ended up in Doncaster! It was such a good story that we were featured on Pet Rescue and, forever on, I'd go and see clients who were detained in hospital under the Mental Health Act and they's say: "I saw you on Pet Rescue!" You obviously watch lots of bad day time TV when you're detained in hospital.....

Right here's the rub: We still haven't got a sodding planning application in. The idea was to apply straight away for the curtilage extension as we want a polytunnel, greenhouse, raised beds (we're on heavy clay), hopefully in the not too distant future, animals, so we need some animal housing... That should have happened over the holidays and we should already be most of the way through the process but because we got stuck in Sheffield for 6 weeks and the plans went for our approval to the static in Wales, we only saw them this week....

Then of course there's the announcment this moring that our wonderful coalition government are going to attempt to stimulate a building boom by relaxing the Permitted Development rules on home extensions....

So, is it too hopeful to think that we may be able to achieve our extension to the bungalow (one storey) and the loft conversion within these new rules and only need planning for the curtilage change? That would be fab as we could go straight to building regs approval and be back on track timing wise... I wait with baited breath.

We are aiming to start building come the beginning of March when the property will have been empty for 2 years and we should qualify for a reduction in our VAT burden on the build costs as a result. Everything is so uncertain though...

What is certain is that it gives us some time to sort out the land.

We have a North facing Orchard that is sheltered by the house and a South facing paddock which is on a fairly exposed hill. The house is surrounded by gardens. It's more or less a blank slate. Where do we begin?

I think making compost and tidying up seems like a start. What do you all think? From what I've read, we are going to need raised beds and lots of compost to grow on our heavy clay. We're wondering what power tools would be good investments.

We have the chainsaw and gear (OH loves it) I want to buy a good shredder so we can make the stuff that OH chainsaws off the trees and shrubs compostable. Does this sound reasonable? Can anyone receommend one? What's worth buying and what would be better to hire on a plot that has a lot of field (3 and a half acres) and a lot (half an acre plus?) of mature (and sometimes a bit past their best) trees?

Then there's the livestock. I'm itching to buy some poultry as you know. Is it a wise time to be buying new stock going into Autumn? Would it be better for me to buy a small house and get some bantams just to keep me and the kids happy - they could live next to the static. Do I just buy hens or shal we get a cockrel too?

Decisions, decisions!
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If you want a cockeral and do not mind a hybrid i wonder if i could arrange time to bring May to you. Alfie saw him last week and we agreed though a mongrel he is incredibly beautiful, to beautiful for words actually. I shall get a picture of him.

I don't normally recommend ex batts, as frankly, i think purebreds are easier, but.....you have been reading about chicken exploits for a long time, and we know you are a woman eho puts in the work, why not look at getting...five, six of them...there are five of you, right? They might well lay for you over winter, and you are atarting wirh humaised hens.

Otherwise, have you chosen what breeds you want yet?
  • rozeepozee
    edited 6 September 2012 at 9:50AM
    Options
    Where are you LIR? If it were down to me, would say yes immediately :j, (if it was up to me we would already have a pair of ?Dewlap geese which I LOVED) but my OH is much more cautious and wants to sort out the land first. Actually, I would probably characterise him as an arch considerer of decisions (aka a procrastinator, at times...) whereas I leap first and think about it later. We make a great team, although it's not without its conflict ;)

I was really thinking about pure breeds though. Would a hybrid cockerel mean fighting if I had other cockerels? Would it create issues for breeding pure breeds? Presumably they'd have to have very seperate housing. I used to breed fancy rats as a kid and sell them on and I wonder if I still have it in me to come up with something nice enough for the shows if I were to get into a specific breed or two. I also think it would be a potential hobby for the kids and perhaps bring in some pocket money for them in due course if they had a little breeding business on the side. More interesting than a paper round? I'm sure also that there is the potential for something akin to the labradoodle craze in the back yard chicken market... Am I getting ahead of myself here?

Another bit of me is desperate and delighted at the thought that I might meet one of you in person. I was just saying to alf that you almost feel like family now, we've been chatting that long. Alf says that Itsme has gone offline. Has anyone else heard from her? I've checked my inbox and I have her address, if she's still there as I know the place was on the market. Do you think we should contact her?
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    rozeepozee wrote: »
    Where are you LIR? If it were down to me, would say yes immediately :j, (if it was up to me we would already have a pair of ?Dewlap geese which I LOVED) but my OH is much more cautious and wants to sort out the land first. Actually, I would probably characterise him as an arch considerer of decisions (aka a procrastinator, at times...) whereas I leap first and think about it later. We make a great team, although it's not without its conflict ;)

Another bit of me is desperate and delighted at the thought that I might meet one of you in person. I was just saying to alf that you almost feel like family now, we've been chatting that long. Alf says that Itsme has gone offline. Has anyone else heard from her? I've checked my inbox and I have her address, if she's still there as I know the place was on the market. Do you think we should contact her?

Yes, if tou have her address i think we should write. Perhaps you could send a note telling her we miss her and if she is not ok. What can we do to help?

I am twenty/twenty five mins off the M4. South though.
  • rozeepozee
    Options
    rozeepozee wrote: »

I was really thinking about pure breeds though. Would a hybrid cockerel mean fighting if I had other cockerels? Would it create issues for breeding pure breeds? Presumably they'd have to have very seperate housing. I used to breed fancy rats as a kid and sell them on and I wonder if I still have it in me to come up with something nice enough for the shows if I were to get into a specific breed or two. I also think it would be a potential hobby for the kids and perhaps bring in some pocket money for them in due course if they had a little breeding business on the side. More interesting than a paper round? I'm sure also that there is the potential for something akin to the labradoodle craze in the back yard chicken market... Am I getting ahead of myself here?
    Yes, if tou have her address i think we should write. Perhaps you could send a note telling her we miss her and if she is not ok. What can we do to help?

I am twenty/twenty five mins off the M4. South though.

I was editing my original post while you posted LIR, so here are my edits. We seem to be miles awy from everyone. This is the downside of escaping the madding crowds :{ We are a good hour and a half from the M4, if not more. We're almost an hour from Carmarthen.

I'll drop a little card to Itsme today. Better get on with the boring admin now. I have to send my new tenant some keys or he won't be able to get into the newly decorated apartment :)
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yes rozee,more often than not, roosters fight. Tahts why i cannot keep both may and chickadee, and neither will find homes with breeders as both are mongrels.

If you want to breed labraddodle style chickens, or purebreds, its a great hobby btw, i have had no time really since moving, hence my disorganised bunch of chooks atm, you need to keep immacualte records, and to have a number of different runs for your cockerals so you can have more than one (afterall, no good for your second generarion chickens otherwise!) and get an eye for what is good conformation and requirements, Start checking our chicken entrants at county shows! See if you are picking the winners out of decent sized classes.

You do have to develop a way to deal with males, you do. Anything else is acoidance and Its just not fair. I was lucky alfie took one of mine this summer. Previously i had three males living together no problem. One went (was sold to a breeder) and the other two then started to lay into each other. I have never managed to keep males together since without injury. I have heard horrific stories about cockerals limping on one eyes and haggard after a fight. Its notbhumane to allow that to happen, and i will not, so you need a plan.

I also think its worth knowing how to dispatch. Unless like davesnave you live near an avian vet, often the most humane solution is to dispatch at home, not stress with travel even for pet birds imo. I will take girls in when i don't know whatvthe problem is, not least to learn.

We also keep 'chicken nursery' now. I like young chicks reared in the flock, but for various reasons its not practical here atm, so they are on the front lawn in a small house. Ipn with them is a lame ex batt and a blind ex batt. They are happy, but did not cope in the rougher free range envirnment, in the main, in the front garden they are ok. I have no need ro putvthem down, they are happy, their cost is negligable against the others.
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    morning all...

i feel like a tsunami has hit my house....:eek:

HOW CAN I HAVE ACCUMULATED SO MUCH STUFF !!??

easily obviously....:o

a few years ago i x bred some banties [started with old india game]and they were a sell out. all the locals and gamekeepers loved em cos they would take to the top of trees if not put in at night...NEVER got had ... i can remember even in the snow they would roost up in a snow laden branch 15/20ft up. thier cv spread and i was selling em as fast as i could breed em ..:D a lady 2/3yrs ago stopped me in the high street to tell me her last one had just died and she was so upset as even if she was late home she knew they were safe... perhaps i should do it again ??:)
    have to search out the original breeds tho to cross, got enough to do now tho...:eek:

me finks "after expenses" is a good comparison re the bay selling...
    iv decided from what ive sold so far, that im putting lower prices on things to start. all the items i relisted cheaper SOLD. i think a little often is better than none at all.:D

ive been up since 5am :eek: i dropped son and friend off at the IOW ferry for the bestival [10 t0 6 ferry ] honestly they had enough stuff for a year i swear !!;) mind you he's never brought a tent home yet !!! he struggles to get himself home :rotfl::rotfl:

anyway im off to sort this junk...treasures :rotfl:

may i make a suggestion as we now have a way of contacting ITSME...

can i be the holder of those willing , adresses and contact phone number . im like a bad penny and not going anywhere ;) :rotfl: obviously this is in the strictest privacy. but at least if there is any problems contact can be made . we all care about each other and sometimes contact can make the difference...
    leave it up to you.

someone was listening to me...:cool: iv just had a keeper turn up [5mins ago!] with a stunning old game bird cockerel asking if i can have him as a lady called him in to wring its neck and even he couldnt do it !! SO iv half of my old breed...im stunned....:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure