We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream thread continues.....

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Rummer wrote: »
    It was freeeeeeeeeezing :eek::eek::eek: Only got one and a half beds cleared however every little helps. I will need to get new waterproof trousers though as mine leak and I ended up soaking wet. Think I will get the fleecy lined ones this time.
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:Must admit, when you said you were raring to go last night, I took a quick peek at the forecast for your location. It's a few degrees colder than down here, where we're basking in 8c at the moment!

Not that I've felt cold. :D Three hours of cutting down and hauling blackthorn meant I had to take things off, soon as I could. I had to keep heavy clothes on, and very old clothes, because the thorns rip everything.

But my boots are kernackered. Standing in the stream, I suddenly realised one bit of me was cold: both feet! It's amazing how the manufacturers have engineered them to both fail on the same day. :(

That's my Christmas presents sorted then: loppers & boots.

Rummer, while long Johns ain't sexy, they might be better than expensive lined overtrousers. ;)

Good news about your land CTC. :)
  • rhiwfield
    rhiwfield Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    While I use waterproofs for walking in the rain I dont like using them in the garden as they trap moisture, even the breathable ones.

Had a relaxed morning, bought some stuff at the boot at a good price, got more feed and wood shavings for the chooks, then had latte and a blueberry muffin at Waitrose. Its hissing down atm and very cold, so glad to be indoors with the woodburner lit.

I hate blackthorn, vicious poisonous thorns, sucker growth redeemed only by the autumn sloes that transform supermarket gin into nectar :beer:
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I am freezing here. :(

Dh and I, but mainly dh as I kept creeping in to read and defrost, have FINISHED the new border inside the new hedge, It's dug over and light
    Y planted. I know, I know we could have waited a few years to give the yews the best chance, but the planting inside will benefit from the light, and give privacy while the hedge is so laughable and .....it's necessary for the soul.

We also started rescuing the existing white border which had been invaded by grass, nettles and deadly night shade this summer and I was too otherwise engaged to care or rectify. It looks very bare that border.

I need some white annuals for next year to fill gaps.

There is about ten feet, maybe less, to weed throuroughly in the rose gold border before we start from one end again....I can see a few nettles have crept in there too.
  • Thanks guys - I do also have a weather station with all the bits, but it isn't connected to anything so we can now contact someone and get them to advise us on what we would need to do to get it reading.
    rozeepozee wrote: »
    That's so cool! Think it would also be very educational for the kids. Maybe we could link it into our kids' school (I'm a governor so am always on the look out for things for the kids to do)....

Once we get the house costed, we'll know if there is any cash to spare (unlikely....)

I have an inexpensive (around £200) netbook which was serving no useful purpose, having been bought to use while at work during quiet times to study a course or browse the internet (I changed jobs instead where I'm allowed to use the internet and gave up on the course). This is attached by USB to the weather station console and I use a piece of free software called Cumulus to talk to the Weather Underground site. It uploads data every 5 minutes or so but that's configurable from within Cumulus.

For a school installation I would choose one of the Vantage Pro 2 stations that I mentioned earlier - not to waste funds, but because an educational tool is better when the information it gives is more accurate, as well as the hardware being more reliable. No kid likes to be disappointed because something fun and interesting stops working.

Also as an idea for school kids, what about an incubator to hatch chickens for your place? :D
    "...And if it don't feel good, what are you doing it for?" - Robbie Williams - 'Candy'
  • SAM... how big is the pond? if it is big enough could you put fish you could eat in it?

Ok I am on the scrounge:cool::p

I was wondering if anyone had some aloe vera plantlets I could have and sedums.. so i could start a foundation stock...

I am trying to think of plants that would be easy to look after, and propagate/split etc so I could start selling plants again in the farm auctions etc...

I need to start not relying on my current job/work, as I dont want to do it forever... basically I want to use it as a means to an end...

Being on the ranch today... has made me focus again on what I want my life to be... not what it is now....

Rhiwie how's your pants doing? my knickers will be on soon (ebay):D:rotfl:
    Work to live= not live to work
  • rozeepozee
    rozeepozee Posts: 1,971
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Davesnave wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you mean here. :o Like many people with land, we have hedges which are permanent and in various states, partly due to a backlog of work left over from the last owner.

I'm tidying up the bottom boundary over 3 years, so that it can be cut with machinery, missing out the mature trees which give it character.

The top hedge is a different matter. That stays semi-natural as a home to lizards and dormice, and becomes a shelter for sheep against the coldest winds in the winter. We still have to cut it a bit though, because it's a roadside hedge.

So, both hedges are producing wood for us to some degree, as is the willow copse, though that's low quality. The only thing I have to decide is how much to cut and store and how much I just bonfire. Having a use for the thin bits - the free hour - means I'm more motivated to produce them. Against that is the time & energy needed to process them.

But I also receive a certain amount of junk wood from carpenters...:)
    Sorry, it was a bit of a non-joke. When I was on the Permaculture course, lots of it seemed incredibly obvious if one had an ounce of common sense. Perhaps I'm being unkind, because I do actually like a lot of Permaculture "design" stuff and I've found it really interesting and useful, but for folks like you, who've been doing this stuff for donkeys, being efficient is built into your make up, I imagine.
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837
    First Post
    Forumite
    hi peeps.. i am flitting in and out but i have done zip except animogs all weekend...
    i just cannot get warm ...i have literally almost parked my butt on the fire i am that cold ???:eek:

i just looked at my hosp app and its 3pm NOT 10am tomorow :o got date/time muddled ...good job i checked..

iv got farrier coming tomorow to the 3 hoss's i am looking after. her farrier was ...well...uummmm...:cool:...a prima donna who booked appointments like i was asking for a gold egg !!
    so ive got mine coming to trim them and as i have no idea how they will behave....:eek: fingers crossed...

i have a dilema, met really nice chap BUT...vegetarian... not a problem in itself but im wondering how this would work ? he loves all animals as i do but i meet in the middle... giving up a bacon sarnie ? nah !
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    hi peeps.. i am flitting in and out but i have done zip except animogs all weekend...
    i just cannot get warm ...i have literally almost parked my butt on the fire i am that cold ???:eek:

i just looked at my hosp app and its 3pm NOT 10am tomorow :o got date/time muddled ...good job i checked..

iv got farrier coming tomorow to the 3 hoss's i am looking after. her farrier was ...well...uummmm...:cool:...a prima donna who booked appointments like i was asking for a gold egg !!
    so ive got mine coming to trim them and as i have no idea how they will behave....:eek: fingers crossed...

i have a dilema, met really nice chap BUT...vegetarian... not a problem in itself but im wondering how this would work ? he loves all animals as i do but i meet in the middle... giving up a bacon sarnie ? nah !

I would eat veg at home but have meat when eating out. It would not be a deal breaker for me in any way shape or form.
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837
    First Post
    Forumite
    I would eat veg at home but have meat when eating out. It would not be a deal breaker for me in any way shape or form.

do you mean i eat what i like at home but veggie if im out wiv im....:D
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    do you mean i eat what i like at home but veggie if im out wiv im....:D

Sorry,I was thinking ahead and marrying you off or shacking you up.

I mean when you cook for him eat veggie, eat veggie when he cooks for you...when neither of you would have to cook twice then eat what you each want. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure