08453 510 124 - Is this a halifax scam number?

Hi All
We have received 3 phone calls from this number today (2 on mobile, 1 on land line). it is an automated call, saying it's from the Halifax, asking us to key in the number of the phone we were on. We thought it was suspicious and went into our branch of the Halifax, who said it wasn't a number they recognised, probably a scam. However, having Googled it, some people are saying it's a scam, others are saying it's the Halifax fraud line and that it's legitimate :confused:
Has anyone else been called by this number? How can I find out if it's legitimate without actually calling it?

Ta in advance!

Comments

• benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi All
    We have received 3 phone calls from this number today (2 on mobile, 1 on land line). it is an automated call, saying it's from the Halifax, asking us to key in the number of the phone we were on. We thought it was suspicious and went into our branch of the Halifax, who said it wasn't a number they recognised, probably a scam. However, having Googled it, some people are saying it's a scam, others are saying it's the Halifax fraud line and that it's legitimate :confused:
    Has anyone else been called by this number? How can I find out if it's legitimate without actually calling it?

Ta in advance!

Smells very, very much like a scam to me... the actual Halifax fraud line appears to be 0845 604 5494, and calling an unknown number claiming to be your bank is very risky. The whole business of an automated call that asks you to enter the number that they just called you on also sounds very dubious.

The people claiming it's a genuine number on other forums could equally well be in on the scam themselves - presumably they're well aware that people will start posting on forums looking for advice.

Just follow the standard advice and only contact your bank on the official numbers.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • carolt2
    carolt2 Posts: 854
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi, yes it looks like a scam, people have posted on the who calls me site about the same number.
    Follow Benjus advice and contact bank on official numbers.

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/08453510124
    'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle'
  • never-in-doubt
    never-in-doubt Posts: 20,613 Forumite
    Hi All

Ta in advance!

I've checked it on 'say no to 0870' and it doesn't come up so as others have said, hang up and ring the normal number you know. Its deffo not the Hfx Fraud Line....
    :o 2010 - year of the troll :o

Niddy - Over & Out :wave:
  • blueberrypie
    blueberrypie Posts: 2,395
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It seems to me that regardless of whether this particular number is genuine or not, it is very bad practice for banks (and other companies) to be phoning people and then asking for personal details. It could be anyone that you are giving these details to.

I will generally tell them that they know I'm answering my phone, but as far as I know, they could be anyone, and so I'm not giving them any of my details. I have yet to come across anyone doing this who seems to understand why - they just get annoyed that I won't do it! Then I'll ask them to write to me, or, if that's not appropriate for the purpose of their call, to tell me what department of their organisation I need to be speaking with - and then I will go and find the telephone number for that department (off a bank statement or on their website, for example).
  • Hi

I've had this myself and it is a genuine call - they'll want to verify transactions on your card. I doubt there're open now till after the holidays so you'll need to wait a few days to find out the details as the general telephone banking line probably cant help. Have to tried to buy anything online, or make any large purchases in the past few days? If so, that might be what it is. Hope this helps
  • never-in-doubt
    Hi

I've had this myself and it is a genuine call - they'll want to verify transactions on your card. I doubt there're open now till after the holidays so you'll need to wait a few days to find out the details as the general telephone banking line probably cant help. Have to tried to buy anything online, or make any large purchases in the past few days? If so, that might be what it is. Hope this helps

so you mean the credit card verification dept? The ones that are open 24/7 365? They would have rung at the point of sale or declined the sale pending the OP ringing them (if done online). Sorry, its not a genuine number - its unheard of and other users have reported it as spam (even the bank themselves have!). If you could substantiate that claim or retract it - thanks?

thanks to CarolT2 for this link: http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/08453510124

• naijapower
    naijapower Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    It is easy to verify if it is genuine or not. Simply call Halifax card services and ask for fraud dept. If an attempt had been made to call you; be it automated or human, it would be registered on their system.
    It happened to me recently, though i cant remember the exact number that called me. when i called Hali fraud dept, they confirmed it was them and i also knew why they were calling as i had just tried using my card on an American site
  • never-in-doubt
    naijapower wrote: »
    It is easy to verify if it is genuine or not. Simply call Halifax card services and ask for fraud dept. If an attempt had been made to call you; be it automated or human, it would be registered on their system.
    It happened to me recently, though i cant remember the exact number that called me. when i called Hali fraud dept, they confirmed it was them and i also knew why they were calling as i had just tried using my card on an American site

Exactly, as everyone else is saying - if in doubt then ring direct and ask to be put though to them!

They work 24/7 365 days a year - fraudsters don't ask for easter day off do they? lol

• Exactly, as everyone else is saying - if in doubt then ring direct and ask to be put though to them!

They work 24/7 365 days a year - fraudsters don't ask for easter day off do they? lol
    Have you tried to phone your telephone operator and ask them where the call has come from as you are suspicious of it?
    I have seen a few times where the who calls me site says that such and such number is a scam and then it proves to be correct.
    I have not worked for NatWest Bank since February 2009

This username is no longer active.
  • never-in-doubt
    Have you tried to phone your telephone operator and ask them where the call has come from as you are suspicious of it?
    I have seen a few times where the who calls me site says that such and such number is a scam and then it proves to be correct.

yea but I also checked the halifax internal numbers and sayno to 0870 - so for 3 well knows facilities to have it as unknown, coupled with the responses from other posters confirming their branch said so - i'd just stick to the latter post and ring them myself..... see if they want me :p

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family