Music Magpie

Comments

• Don't use them they are liars, I know of at least two people who received less money than they were quoted as they were told some of their cds were missing from the delivery or told one CD was missing from a 2 cd box, when they were included. Terrible service.
  • rossc.ad
    rossc.ad Posts: 7 Forumite
    After i sent them a box full of stuff, the emailed me saying that the games console and phone i sent them where "FAULTY" and that they would be happy to recycle them for me for free, or send them back to me but charge me £15 to post them.

I used the games console the day before i sent it. and the phone was not faulty either.

DONT TRUST THESE PEOPLE

Also their costumer service is terrible, after i sent them an email disputing their claims, they just sent me an automated response, quoting the terms and conditions say that their quality testers decisions are final.

They will happily give you 0.30p for a DVD, but the big items that they quote you really money on they will just steal!
  • Apologies for the long post but thought you might be interested in my experience and my conclusions having tested out both Music Magpie (MM) and WebuyDVDs.co.uk (WBD). Maybe it will help someone.

Due to rapidly expanding family and lack of space I decided to sell my CD’s (they had more or less just been sitting in the racks gathering dust anyway). Overall I had around 260 CDs and decided to keep around 40 ( some I could not bear to part with and others I was not being offered anything reasonable) so ended up selling 220. My personal cut off point was 20 pence for a CD – anything less than this amount I would keep. You obviously may have a different viewpoint.

I initially tested out a small number ( around a dozen) of CDs on both websites and it appeared WBD seemed to offering better returns, however when I expanded the sample to around 116 Music Magpie came out clearly as offering more in around 75% of the time.

For example, out of the 116 I tested, WBD offered me 15p or less in 80 instances. So 69% of the time I was only being offered less than my target amount – pitiful. Music Magpie however, never offered me less than 20p ( tho in few cases it could not find the barcode or said it was not interested in buying that particular CD).

As a side note I did test around a dozen on another website – Zapper – though only once did it come out with a figure higher than either MM or WBD so decided was not worth continuing.

In those instances where WBD offers were higher than MM (and above my personal threshold of 20p) I went ahead and created an order – sold 23 CD’s for £19.74. This is quite large amount for so few CDs but like I said I only picked those CD with a higher return to send to them. The order was processed quickly and currently waiting for the cheque to arrive.

All the others I sold through MM. Sent 200 CDs for an offer price of £86.30. This works out at an average of 43p per CD. This figure is slightly misleading as the majority of them sold for between 22p to 30p. Its only because there were a few higher priced items that pushes this average up.

Breakdown as follows:

Price in pence
    No of CD's
    Percentage
    22 to 25
    18%
    26 to 30
    55%
    30 to £1
    20%
    £1 to £2
    8%

MM have taken longer to process but out of the 200 CDs they have accepted 198 and rejected only 2 ( missings CDs apparently). Currently awaiting a check for £85.72

Conclusions

- MM paid out more on average
    - WBD processed the order quicker ( though the number of items was smaller)
    - Was happy with the way the websites worked and the process generally for both websites.
    - Also liked the MM app - it worked well for me. WBD need to get one.
    - Variation in prices between the two websites could be startling – for example the CD Hope and Despair by Edwin Collins: WEB offered 10p but MM offered £2.62. Conversely ‘rise and fall of Ziggy Stardust’ by David Bowie – WBD offered £1.47 and MM offered £0.45.
    - Waiting for cheques to arrive but expecting around £105 for sale of around 220 CDs- works out at 48p per CD. Am happy enough
    - Yes I am a little bit sad and before you ask, yes I do work with statistics in my day job too.

Disclaimers
    - Obviously this is my individual circumstance and reflect the CDs in my collection – yours might come out differently.
    - My conclusions seems to come out in favour of MM so worth stating for the more suspicious of you that I am in no way connected to MM. This is my first time using these particular websites.
    - Aside from MM and WBD there are obviously other websites and shops and options available to you – you might want to check those out as well.
    - I only checked CDs – I gave my DVDs to family so cannot comment on how well the websites compared on DVD prices.
  • alexcarter
    alexcarter Posts: 13 Forumite
    webuybooks.co.uk give the highest payout and fastest service according to lovemoney.com, and if you follow them on facebook or twitter they will add 10% extra onto your offer.
  • As everyone else really. Unimpressed with the money offered.
    In the end I searched ebay and anything where there were already loads of duplicates for 99p went straight to the charity shop and anything not showing or showing at a decent price was listed on the next free listing day, which are now pretty much monthly. Probably took a bit more time but hopefully made a bit more money too.
  • I'm going to be a first time user of MM. Not bothered what prices I get, the cds I'm selling won't even sell for a penny on ebay.
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    I'm going to be a first time user of MM. Not bothered what prices I get, the cds I'm selling won't even sell for a penny on ebay.

Then you will find with some of them they won't take them, so the only thing left is to donate.

I've found the prices offered recently have gone down, and they always decline the cashback, only to pay up when making a claim.
  • There was only two out of a batch of 80 that they didn't want.

I also checked every single one before sending just to make sure they were in overall good condition.
  • gentleorange
    gentleorange Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    They gave me an offer of £29.49 for 89 cd's. It's surprised me that they offer so little, but I suppose demand for cd's is getting lesser all the time. The odd thing was that some cd's I assumed would always be relatively popular, like Michael Jacksons' 'Bad' were worth 12p, but the Karate Kid soundtrack was worth nearly £2... Average price was between 20 to 22p. The only real shocker was a Whitney Houston Greatest Hits double album listed at 21p!

Anyway my main priority is to declutter, so if this transaction goes smoothly I'll fill up another box (still have another 200 cd's, couldn't face doing them all in one go!)
  • MancBrel
    MancBrel Posts: 223 Forumite
    I've got an order going through. Only 1 rejected from about 60. The least I got was 20p, but a few got a couple of quid. About £40 for the 60. They do seem to be taking their time though. I keep checking on my account, so know exactly when they processed the cd's for quality. I was therefore surprised to get an email about 3 days after reading the update on my account, that read that they had received them?

How long do they usually take to post out a cheque?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure