What is the average electricity units per day?

Options

Comments

• madfishkeeper
    Options
    I live in a 3 bed semi with my partner and son. I use gas for heating and cooking and electric for everything else. My elec useage averages 15.9 units per day which is slightly above average, but I also keep salt water fish which uses quite a lot of leccy with the lights, pumps, heaters and fans which, if everything was on together would total about 700 watts. Fortunately the higher users (lights and heaters) are only on part of the day.
  • Brallaqueen
    Brallaqueen Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for this thread, it has an enormous amount of useful information. My bills have skyrocketed - from 711 units feb-aug 11 to 1163 units feb-aug 12 - over 2 units extra a day :( I think this is due to my lodger's rent increasing and therefore she is rightly less concerned about being frugal. I don't want to rock the boat as she is a good lodger, so this thread has given me some ideas on identifying and reducing my own consumption to compensate.

Thank you
    Emergency savings: 4600
    0% Credit card: 1965.00
  • claire21
    claire21 Posts: 32,747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Think I need help, I have gas central heating and cooker, but using in excess of 50 units elec a day!
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 September 2012 at 9:33AM
    Options
    That would indicate a usage of 18,250kWh pa, which is absurd-not even a house with E7 uses that much. The average is 3,300kWh pa.
    On that basis your electricity DD would have to be about £155pm-what is it?
    What is your actual annual kWh usage as advised by your supplier, or from your bills?
    PS: are you maybe misreading meter decimal units as whole units.? Read only the figures in black, ignore the red ones.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • claire21
    Options
    I think perhaps I should start another thread.

Yes you are right, thats my annual useage.

I have a large house, and I am not an average user by a long shot.

I leave everything on stand by, in the big picture of things this will not make that much difference. We have 3 school age children but husband and I are home all day.

We have a lot of TVs, 7 in total but dont watch a lot of telly.
    Dishwasher on every day, washing machine on every day, tumble dryer twice a week, kettle on a lot, 2 kids have laptops and xboxes, husband and I have ipads only. Biggish fridge freezer and a smallish chest freezer.

The main difference we probably have apart from being lapse in our everyday life about electric is that we have a CCTV system and a swimming pool thats runs on an electric pump - note the pool is heated by gas.

I have this morning switched the main fuse off to the house and the flashing light stops, so I know there is no outside drain.

I have ordered an owl to put on to the main meter and a device to go round and measure all the appliances in the house.
  • macman
    edited 9 September 2012 at 10:33AM
    Options
    You may be a heavier than average user in a larger than average house, but your usage is still 550% higher than the UK average. Forget about kettles, CCTV and iPads, what matters is space heating and hot water, (and your tumble drier). But if you have gas CH &DHW then these should not reflect on your electricity bill.
    If the pool pump is running 24/7, that is the likely candidate-what is the wattage rating of it? A quick Google show pool pumps to be anything from 500W to 2,250W. One of the latter running 24/7 is going to use 53kWh per day and cost you around £160pm. It's equivalent to having a 2 bar electric fire permanently on 24/7 all year round.
    Nothing else you have mentioned can possibly be accounting for such massive usage, certainly not an immersion heater left on 24/7.
    However, it's likely that it's only running for a few hours a day-how exactly is it set up to function?
    I suggest you switch off the pool circuit for a day and see the difference-no need for an Owl!
  • claire21
    edited 9 September 2012 at 1:30PM
    Options
    Today 73891.2

Reading since paranoia set in last night
    73878.8 - 12.15 early hours this morning
    73880.5 - 1.15 early hours, paranoia
    73886.9 - 8.15 this morning
    73888.5 - 9.15 this morning
    73890.6 - 10.15 this morning
    73891.2 - 10.40 this morning, pool pump switched off

This morning we have bolied kettle twice and had the dishwasher do a load, no lights, tvs on etc, just a whole house full of standby items.

I have looked at my flashing light now pool pump is off and roughly counting it flashes every 5 seconds.
  • macman
    Options
    I repeat, what is the wattage rating of the pool pump (and any related equipment), and how many hours is it normally switched on for, it's presumably on a timer?
    Boiling a kettle for 3 minutes is really not relevant, you need to concentrate on the obvious big ticket items.
    Do you have an immersion heater, if so is it left on it error?
  • claire21
    edited 9 September 2012 at 12:16PM
    Options
    Been and looked at pump, it runs 24/7 in the season, not on a timmer, not a massive pool, 20 by 12 ft.
    All i can see on pump is
    Paraflow
    Type HPVE 50M
    P 0,50cv
    HMT 12 10 5
    Qm3h 49 .17,3

Does the P stand for power?

Edit google shows cv means horse power and ,50 cv and that translates to 0.37 kilowatts, does that help?

Edit, no immersion heater, no plug in rads for greenhouse etc, so nothing else really obvious.
  • macman
    Options
    No, it should have a wattage rating on it. Paraflow appear to be filtration suppliers. Why is it necessary to run the pump all night though?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport