Hijacked by Windows 10.

Comments

• ARandomMiser
    ARandomMiser Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    prowla wrote: »
    People who say "end of" normally haven't a clue what they are talking about.

The fact that, having said that, you then go on to say that it won't install on your machine kind of proves that it is not the best version of Windows.
    To be fair, without doubt W10 is the best version of windows that has been produced.
    A small proportion of users with older equipment may find some problems since you cannot expect Microsoft to provide drivers for every possible device out there, however the overwhelming majority will upgrade without problems (or minimal disruption) - often the problems are down to the persons lack of technical ability.

The main problem is that some older devices did not adhere to the strict standards of writing device drivers and therefore may not work in W10. While people are blaming Microsoft the blame really lies with the people who wrote the device driver and the providers o have decided that it is not economically viable to create a new device driver for W10.
    IITYYHTBMAD
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    To be fair, without doubt W10 is the best version of windows that has been produced.
    A small proportion of users with older equipment may find some problems since you cannot expect Microsoft to provide drivers for every possible device out there, however the overwhelming majority will upgrade without problems (or minimal disruption) - often the problems are down to the persons lack of technical ability.

The main problem is that some older devices did not adhere to the strict standards of writing device drivers and therefore may not work in W10. While people are blaming Microsoft the blame really lies with the people who wrote the device driver and the providers o have decided that it is not economically viable to create a new device driver for W10.
    To be fair, Windows 10 is not the best version of Windows that has been produced; it is simply the newest.

The user interface is inconsistent (though less so than Windows 8) and the dull flat featureless styling is unattractive.

Given that computers are so widespread, it is not a fair tactic to blame issues on the users lack of technical ability; it is either fit for purpose or it isn't.

The spying component is well documented, though some are trying to sweep it under the carpet and blame it on the users' lack of technical knowledge (hmmm, them pesky users!).

Another tactic being used by the fanbois is to blame the people who don't want to upgrade for being luddites (those damned users wanting to decide for themselves!) and suggesting that the force-feeding of the upgrade is really for their own good so they don't whinge (a good blame-word too!) when the upgrade is no longer free. But some don't need to upgrade and don't want to.

When you say "best", what do you mean? Plainly for someone who has a system with unsupported hardware or peripherals then it is not even a good solution, let alone the best.

As far as device drivers go, you can't blame companies who wrote theirs and then Microsoft changed the specification, can you? (I have a couple of old peripherals which I use with Windows XP in a VM.)

So, all in all, I have doubts that Windows 10 is the best version ever produced and I've seen nothing to say that it is. (It's better than 8, but to be fair and without doubt, that was probably the worst version of Windows ever.)
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    The windows 10 update isn't a normal update. It's a different operating system. Upgrading to it does break some things, but you won't know that until you do it.

The way Microsoft have done this without giving users a choice is sly and underhand.

For most people it's something they should do (ie. upgrade for free) when they are ready. But it shouldn't be forced on anyone.

The "I don't see what's wrong with updating automatically" brigade don't work in the IT industry and don't see the carnage it's causing.
  • ARandomMiser
    ARandomMiser Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    edited 28 May 2016 at 10:53AM
    To be fair, Windows 10 is not the best version of Windows that has been produced; it is simply the newest.

The user interface is inconsistent (though less so than Windows 8) and the dull flat featureless styling is unattractive.

Given that computers are so widespread, it is not a fair tactic to blame issues on the users lack of technical ability; it is either fit for purpose or it isn't.
    I think you have to separate out the operating system from the user - and some users will not have the technical ability - that does not mean it is not fit for purpose, just that the users need help.
    The spying component is well documented, though some are trying to sweep it under the carpet and blame it on the users' lack of technical knowledge (hmmm, them pesky users!).
    Yes it was well documented and debunked with most issues exaggerated or made up. it collects usage data which is needed if we are to improve search engines and provide tools such as Siri, Cortana etc.
    As far as device drivers go, you can't blame companies who wrote theirs and then Microsoft changed the specification, can you? (I have a couple of old peripherals which I use with Windows XP in a VM.)
    Yes you can. Microsoft laid down a set of standards and if device driver software deviated from that then the onus is on the provider to supply an updated driver, not Micorosoft.

Rest of your post really was garbage so not worth responding to (especially when you start using immature childish arguments and derogatory comments like 'fanbois').

I am quite happy for people to stay on whatever version of windows they like .... I am quite happy for them to miss the boat because they want to be seen as 'rebellious' against a big corporation .... what worries me though is that many of their inaccurate, mis-leading and made up reasons for not upgrading can sway the less technically literate - the best advice for the overwhelming majority of people is take the free upgrade before it is too late.
    IITYYHTBMAD
  • prowla
    I think you have to separate out the operating system from the user - and some users will not have the technical ability - that does not mean it is not fit for purpose, just that the users need help.

Yes it was well documented and debunked with most issues exaggerated or made up. it collects usage data which is needed if we are to improve search engines and provide tools such as Siri, Cortana etc.

Yes you can. Microsoft laid down a set of standards and if device driver software deviated from that then the onus is on the provider to supply an updated driver, not Micorosoft.

Rest of your post really was garbage so not worth responding to (especially when you start using immature childish arguments and derogatory comments like 'fanbois').

I am quite happy for people to stay on whatever version of windows they like .... I am quite happy for them to miss the boat because they want to be seen as 'rebellious' against a big corporation .... what worries me though is that many of their inaccurate, mis-leading and made up reasons for not upgrading can sway the less technically literate - the best advice for the overwhelming majority of people is take the free upgrade before it is too late.
    Sorry for any offence to fanbois... (You did say "To be fair, without doubt W10 is the best version of windows that has been produced." which is very fanboi-esque, and also subjective.)

If Microsoft are pushing the update to people without concern for whether they need technical help, then they are being irresponsible.

The spying items, including the blanket terms of the licence have not been debunked; maybe some choose to ignore them, but that's not the same thing.

If people have working products and the OS update stops them working, then whose fault is it - what changed?

The issue is that the change is being pushed to people who don't want it.

(Microsoft's motivation is to get people into their nascent ecosystem.)
  • Oldfatgrumpy
    Oldfatgrumpy Posts: 194 Forumite
    takman wrote: »
    Why didn't you check that the computer had wireless capabilites before you bought it?. If this is a portable computer then it would almost certainly have a built in wireless card. If this is a desktop computer then all you needed to do was buy a windows 10 compatible wireless dingle and it would have worked perfectly.

What components exactly didn't have drivera?. Also the compatibility checker definitely does not work as you described. Every computer has a motherboard so why would it check for one?.

Wow.
    You're rude.
    I'm out.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Wow.
    You're rude.
    I'm out.

How is that rude?
    I'm just stating facts and asking the kind of questions that I would ask when buying a computer.
    Why can't you just answer what I asked?.
    You may have ended up paying for an internal wireless card and a downgrade to windows 7. When in reality all you needed was a £10 wireless dongle!
  • prowla
    (I think it's not checking if the computer has a motherboard, but rather if it has a supported motherboard - but I guess you knew that...)
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    (I think it's not checking if the computer has a motherboard, but rather if it has a supported motherboard - but I guess you knew that...)

I don't think that is a very useful check because any motherboard that supports windows 7 would also be able to run windows 10.
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    I've decided not to install Windows 10 on my Windows 8.1 machine. I've just recently (in the past year) got use to 8.1 and to get use to the next OS I really don't want to do!

I much prefer to wait for compatibility issues to be sorted before I get the latest upgrade, same with iPhone upgrades! We got a Windows 10 laptop at work and we had problems with not finding drivers for some hardware we had - a card reader for a type of Sony memory card and that caused so many issues! Yet when I used the card reader on a Windows 8.1 it worked as well as it could.

I also have games/editing software that will have compatibility issues.

I also feel that my computer was designed to have Windows 8.1 on, why risk upgrading for things to stop working? My next laptop will probably have Windows 10 on, why should I upgrade when it's not necessary? I don't feel like I'm missing out. We've never had this issue before (eg. OMG you're on windows 98 but XP is out now, you should get it.) - just because something's free doesn't mean we should all have it! Maybe there's a reason they're giving it away free... and that's to benefit them! (If you don't pay for the product, you are the product)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure