Getting a Grip and Saving towards the mortgage

Comments

• Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    edited 2 July 2016 at 12:55PM
    Hi Try Harder it's not a stupid question because I wondered the same myself, I haven't had two months interest the same. I think that it may be because the interest is calculated daily and there have been a different number of days in the month.
  • Hi BusyMee, looks like you're making amazing progress to me. I completely agree that we need to live a little too, and it looks like you've got lots of reasons to celebrate coming up so I hope you enjoy them. I always think it's nice to underestimate how much can be saved, which has the dual advantage of feeling happy if you beat the target and allowing a bit of wriggle room for the inevitable setbacks!
  • User1489
    User1489 Posts: 400 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    TryHarder, keep going :D

TSB amounts definitely are weird, I got 8.58, 7.77, 8.04 in 01-May, 01-June, 01-July - no idea what they're doing, would be interested if anyone does. April (paid 01-May) and June (paid 01-July) both had 30 days so should be the same?

MvM
    Baby Step 1 - £1k Emergency Fund - COMPLETE
    Baby Step 2 - Pay off all debts except the Mortgage - £9,326 to go
    Baby Step 3 - Save 6 months of expenses into full Emergency Fund - £4,300 to go

Baby Step 4 - Put 15% into Pension
    Baby Step 6 - Pay off the Mortgage early
    Baby Step 7 - Live like no-one else :D
  • Busy_Mee1
    Been awake since 4.30 am despite going to bed after midnight:mad::mad: I really hope that I can sort my sleep pattern out over the next 2 weeks while I am off work.
    Anyway been spreadsheet fiddling again and realised that I forgot to point out in the June update, that a total of £1357.35 went into savings in June and this is my best monthly savings total ever :j This was largely due to the eB@y sales and it made me think that I am going to find some more things to sell - I have my eye on Mr Mee's wardrobe and DS's wardrobe...
    This way I can try and keep my savings totals up, without putting any more pressure on our spending.
    Had a nice evening with friends - I was worried that it might get a bit fraught around Brexit views but our friend who normally has casually racist views thankfully kept them to herself.
  • Busy_Mee1
    Can anyone help me with a bit of Eb@y advice - a parcel I sent last Monday apparently hasn't arrived. According to Eb@y site it looks like I will have to refund the buyer and claim compensation from Royal Mail - has anyone any experience of this - how long should I wait before offering a refund. Very annoying :mad:
  • Busy_Mee1
    The Eb@y parcel still hasn't turned up so it looks like I will have to give a refund. I feel slightly suspicious about this because there was a bidding war on this item and the buyer paid well over the odds for it. I hope it isn't a case of buyer remorse :mad:
    I think I will only be able to claim for the postage costs back from Royal Mail because I have no original receipt for the item. Anyway live and learn and I think I will use signed for postage for any item over £20 in future.
    I had a good first day off work yesterday - I went to the outlet mall with Mr Mee for a few bits and pieces for the holiday and got lots of bargains. Mr Mee has cleared his wardrobe out ( he obviously didn't want me doing it ! ) so I have some suits to list on eBay when I get back off holiday. I did a two hour session at the gym last night - amazing how much energy I have when I don't have to go to work mainly because I sleep better.
    Today I am flying about getting my hair and nails done and finishing packing then meeting DD after she has finished work and going out for tea. We are leaving for the airport early tomorrow and I am looking forward to a week in the sun. :j
    I have moved the £12.00 Barclays Blue reward into the O&S account and £150 switching bonus into S@antander ( more interest) but I will count the £150 as part of the O&S totals. Mr Mee's hasn't been paid yet but he switched later than me.
    I think that is all - see you in a week :j:j
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,878 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Hi Busy Mee,

It certainly used to be the case that you had to wait 2 weeks before you could claim with RM that something hadn't been delivered, so I'd make your purchaser wait until the two weeks is up (which I don't think it is yet?) in case it arrives (and they're not being dodgy). Either way you won't be able to make a claim from RM until the time has passed. It's been a while since this has come up in my life though so probably best to check I'm not spouting nonsense!

Still in awe of your manipulation of the bank accounts!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I hope you are having a wonderful holiday busymee1
  • Busy_Mee1
    Thanks Try Harder - we have had a really lovely holiday, lots of R&R and sunshine. There has been no WiFi which has been good for me I think and I have actually read some books for the first time in ages. It hasn't been very MSE but again nice to have a break from constantly thinking about saving money.
    Still back to real life and if we want to go on holidays and save towards the mortgage then we need to make every penny count.
    So I have done the bank account patrol and Mr Mee's COOP switching bonus of £150 has been paid so I have transferred that into the S@antander. Nothing yet in TCB for either of us for the COOP switch - there should be another £50.40 each to come. Other than that there is nothing else much happening - the COOP rewards of £4 each are due on Friday.
    I have decided that I need to continue with the eB@ying, and I am challenging myself to list 10 items a month, so I need to start getting ruthless. I think that is all - need to get the washing done and I will try and catch up on some diaries too.
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ruthless ebaying! Sounds like me telling Mrs SJ to sort the kids wardrobes out!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport