The value of the British Pound

Comments

• jumperabv3
    jumperabv3 Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    mgdavid wrote: »
    No and no.
    I'm just back from a few weeks driving down to Portugal and back. It;s the same price here as in France. Portugal is a bit cheaper, Spain is a lot cheaper.
    It hasn't gone up by 20% here - I saw 1.04 in the midlands a few weeks ago, it's 1.15 now, so 10% not 20%.

Maybe all Europeans should open their eyes and see how their currencies are worthless against non-European currencies.

Been to Thailand recently, the exchange rate is terrible ... try to exchange your pounds in Amman in Jordan (in the same WH Smith in the airport or in the city) or use it in Tel Aviv to rent a bike - the pound is worthless, I have no idea how to explain it to you.... it's not my own personal problem, it's a national problem.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    You mean I can't go the Israel or Thailand?

The North American Dollar rates and Euro rates are the main that concern me not Sheikels or Baht.

I'll just need to get ladyboys elsewhere.

jumperabv3 wrote: »
    Maybe all Europeans should open their eyes and see how their currencies are worthless against non-European currencies.

Been to Thailand recently, the exchange rate is terrible ... try to exchange your pounds in Amman in Jordan (in the same WH Smith in the airport or in the city) or use it in Tel Aviv to rent a bike - the pound is worthless, I have no idea how to explain it to you.... it's not my own personal problem, it's a national problem.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 October 2016 at 12:50PM
    benten69 wrote: »
    Ah yes, holiday in the UK, go to the beach, soak up the sun, enjoy the good looking ladies in bikinis...oh....hang on a minute....you don't get any of that over here.
    I have plenty of holiday photos (of sunny beaches) that say otherwise, and I have a lady of my own so I don't need to look.
    The UK has to be one of the worst holiday destinations EVER.
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Cornish+beaches&biw=1873&bih=945&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwidx76YndrPAhVhCMAKHZlUAvkQ_AUIBigB

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Cornwall&biw=1873&bih=945&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiC3ePqmtrPAhWsIsAKHSJDDuAQ_AUIBygC#tbm=isch&q=English+south+coast+beaches

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=welsh+beaches&biw=1873&bih=945&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjFicTDm9rPAhXhDsAKHfNmBqcQ_AUIBigB

Doesn't look so bad to me!
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The Blackpool Illuminations have started by the way; Barbara Windsor (thankfully not in a bikini) did the switch on. Accommodation is plentiful and not expensive but sadly no restaurants with a Michelin Star. Scottish banknotes freely accepted.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    jumperabv3 wrote: »

!!!!!! would I want with Thailand, Jordan or Israel? They have no decent motor race circuits, end of conversation.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • jakesuk
    jakesuk Posts: 226 Forumite
    Ah yes, holiday in the UK, go to the beach, soak up the sun, enjoy the good looking ladies in bikinis...oh....hang on a minute....you don't get any of that over here.

It's all cold, wet, gloomy weather and 1 good looking lady within a 600 mile radius. Not for me thanks!

The UK has to be one of the worst holiday destinations EVER. The only time anyone would want to holiday here (in my opinion of course) is to visit London and see all the touristy stuff there. That's about it, and I know that I would rather have a strong £ vs € / $ with less tourists than a handful of extra tourism and a weak as hell £ vs € / $

UK for a holiday vs Europe is one of the biggest jokes I've ever heard.:rotfl:

I am sorry to say, but I agree unreservedly with this comment. It really is a pity.
  • agarnett
    agarnett Posts: 1,301 Forumite
    !!!!!! would I want with Thailand, Jordan or Israel? They have no decent motor race circuits, end of conversation.
    So this won't have been you on a Royal Jordanian sponsored holiday in the Al-Jafr desert 20 years ago ? ;)

Dee.JPG
  • jumperabv3
    jumperabv3 Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    You mean I can't go the Israel or Thailand?

The North American Dollar rates and Euro rates are the main that concern me not Sheikels or Baht.

I'll just need to get ladyboys elsewhere.

Everyone can be concerned by what's affecting him/her the most, so for you USD could be a concern, for me ILS and THB are bigger concerns...

And if the GBP/USD does concern you - how do you feel about seeing the GBP worth $2.00 about 8 years ago and now it's worth 40% less?

Forget about these 3 countries.
    Try to go to the US.
    Let me know if the prices remain the same for you.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post

I await the panic as the £ slumped from over $2 in 2007.

The rate hit $1.05 in 1985. Been here before. Nothing new.
  • Thrugelmir wrote: »
    The rate hit $1.05 in 1985. Been here before. Nothing new.
    Indeed.

The OP keeps using words like "panic". I really don't understand why.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure