Tales from the city

Options

Comments

• ani*fan
    ani*fan Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks INOD. That's exactly what I needed to hear today. I think I'll go back and read my whole diary, try to remember how it was to be £18k in debt and think about how much better things are now. There is progress in every area, sometimes I forget that.

I need to remember to keep smiling throughout this process. :) Learning to manage your money is a skill for life and one worth having. I've worked so hard to learn all this, I need to give myself a pat on the back. And a pat for all of you on here too! :D
    If you know you have enough, you're rich. ;)
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So I just accessed my accounts to add up the debt.

Right now it stands at £9,893.15

Now that's good progress!! And I'm under £10k!! FINALLY!!

:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Only £500 to pay before I'm half way there! :D
  • hiddenshadow
    Options
    You're so close! :)
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ani*fan wrote: »
    So I just accessed my accounts to add up the debt.

Right now it stands at £9,893.15

Now that's good progress!! And I'm under £10k!! FINALLY!!

:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j

Woohoo! :j:j:j:j:j that's fab :T
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10552.61/£15000 (70.4% saved). Emergency fund - £1428.98/£1500 (95.3% saved).
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Why not tackle the £500 in 1% increments. It'll disappear
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've been doing my sums for next month. It looks like I will be able to pay the last few hundred off one of my credit cards when I get paid on Monday and close it down.

:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j

I'm so excited I can hardly think!

I'll let you know if I manage to get it done. As long as there are no surprise bills between now and Monday then it should all be good.
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Has anyone seen the movie 'I, Daniel Blake'?

I saw it last night and was moved to tears. I've never been at the movies where grown men were sobbing but that's what was happening last night.

The movie shocked me and made me mad, and then it kind of scared me to think that any of us could be in that position. We all pay into social security and we should all be able to access it when required. What's happening is an outrage.

Today I thought about how vulnerable I'd be if I lost my job, which I might in a year's time. And how I should pay my debt off as fast as I can.
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    I haven't seen it yet but would like to. It was an injury that made me start with MSE. I just realised I wanted a more manageable mortgage just in case work stopped being an option. And this is coming from someone who workeD in and around benefits for 12 years.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Having big debts really makes us vulnerable doesn't it? It has made me very determined to deal with things as quick as I possibly can. I hope you made a full recovery, INOD.

I used to work in benefits too, not for long, but in job centres. I don't think it's any more pleasant for the people working for dwp, having to deal with all that distress and upset every day.

I'm still in shock I think.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure