The value of the British Pound

Comments

• benten69
    benten69 Posts: 366 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    lstar337 wrote: »
    Or you can holiday in the UK and help boost our economy. I'm guessing UK holidays are looking pretty good to people in Europe and the US right now.

Ah yes, holiday in the UK, go to the beach, soak up the sun, enjoy the good looking ladies in bikinis...oh....hang on a minute....you don't get any of that over here.

It's all cold, wet, gloomy weather and 1 good looking lady within a 600 mile radius. Not for me thanks!

The UK has to be one of the worst holiday destinations EVER. The only time anyone would want to holiday here (in my opinion of course) is to visit London and see all the touristy stuff there. That's about it, and I know that I would rather have a strong £ vs € / $ with less tourists than a handful of extra tourism and a weak as hell £ vs € / $

UK for a holiday vs Europe is one of the biggest jokes I've ever heard.:rotfl:
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    benten69 wrote: »
    Ah yes, holiday in the UK, go to the beach, soak up the sun, enjoy the good looking ladies in bikinis...oh....hang on a minute....you don't get any of that over here.

It's all cold, wet, gloomy weather and 1 good looking lady within a 600 mile radius. Not for me thanks!

The UK has to be one of the worst holiday destinations EVER. The only time anyone would want to holiday here (in my opinion of course) is to visit London and see all the touristy stuff there. That's about it, and I know that I would rather have a strong £ vs € / $ with less tourists than a handful of extra tourism and a weak as hell £ vs € / $

I guess you will be moving abroad

you won't be missed
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post

Interesting (aka depressing) criteria for selecting a holiday destination, basing a decision on how much there is to leer at, ever considered running for US President? Or perhaps joining the BBC as a prominent sports presenter?
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Upside to brexit - the loss of Benten? Well even Pollyanna should see that as a win.
  • jumperabv3
    jumperabv3 Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post

Finally one sane person who understands a little bit the importance of having a strong currency.

The Americans might be laughing now, they can buy the entire UK at exchange rate like this (and China can buy the entire continent of Europe with such a weak Euro/Pound).
  • jumperabv3
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Interesting (aka depressing) criteria for selecting a holiday destination, basing a decision on how much there is to leer at, ever considered running for US President? Or perhaps joining the BBC as a prominent sports presenter?

It's not about girls in bikinis, if that's what he likes then good for him ... people prefer places with better weather by nature (double meaning?)

The fact is it's cheaper to fly today to other destinations incl. outside of Europe but when it comes to spending money it would be very expensive to find out your pounds are worthless.

And all it takes is for the sheep and the majority of people who don't know what Halifax Clarity / Creation / Cumberland / N&P etc. are to use the airport desks to exchange money and realize all of a sudden their £1 is worth $1.00 after "commissions" (even though the desks promise "no commissions").

And when they would realize £1 is worth $1.00 instead of $1.50 they will be in panic.

On top of that - imagine how foreigners would easily buy anything they want in the UK ... the UK used to have a status for being expensive and royal - well, there is no cheap royalism in today's markets, only losers.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    edited 14 October 2016 at 8:10AM
    And when they would realize £1 is worth $1.00 instead of $1.50 they will be in panic

No they won't. They might feel irritated. Having passed through an airport where euro parity had arrived the other day there was no hint of a rise in blood pressure, let alone panic.

I await the panic as the £ slumped from over $2 in 2007.
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    jumperabv3 wrote: »
    It's not about girls in bikinis, if that's what he likes then good for him ... people prefer places with better weather by nature (double meaning?)

The fact is it's cheaper to fly today to other destinations incl. outside of Europe but when it comes to spending money it would be very expensive to find out your pounds are worthless.

And all it takes is for the sheep and the majority of people who don't know what Halifax Clarity / Creation / Cumberland / N&P etc. are to use the airport desks to exchange money and realize all of a sudden their £1 is worth $1.00 after "commissions" (even though the desks promise "no commissions").

And when they would realize £1 is worth $1.00 instead of $1.50 they will be in panic.

On top of that - imagine how foreigners would easily buy anything they want in the UK ... the UK used to have a status for being expensive and royal - well, there is no cheap royalism in today's markets, only losers.

if we exported more than we imported then our currency would be higher.

unfortunately we have simply been borrowing overseas and selling assets to fund a lifestyle we haven't been earning.

If you are a loony leftie then you may well call for massive nationalisation of export industries and state central control but if you aren't then there is little can be done except allow the pound to reduce in value.
    Attractive girls in bikinis will be a bonus in any scenario.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    jumperabv3 wrote: »
    Oh yes, try to travel the UK with your car and pay expensive price for petrol ... hint: the UK imports petrol from other countries and paying for it with a GBP currency ... so it just got more expensive by 20% too.

No and no.
    I'm just back from a few weeks driving down to Portugal and back. It;s the same price here as in France. Portugal is a bit cheaper, Spain is a lot cheaper.
    It hasn't gone up by 20% here - I saw 1.04 in the midlands a few weeks ago, it's 1.15 now, so 10% not 20%.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • jumperabv3
    I await the panic as the £ slumped from over $2 in 2007.

Yes, what does it really show? That the UK might stop being an empire? It lost 40% of its value against the dollar, that's not something to be proud of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure