PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The best mince pie pastry ever?

Options

Comments

• helen81_2
    helen81_2 Posts: 1,845 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    Me and DS are about to have a crack at making these...hope they turn out good..im usually so rubbish at pastry!!!

Helen x
    love my little man he is amazing :j
  • Louisepp
    Louisepp Posts: 301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm useless at pastry. My mothers pastry was wonderful. So light and crumbly.

She used to add some fizzy lemonade when mixing. No idea if that was her 'secret'
    Cambridge Weight Plan Consultant
  • cqdaniels
    Options
    Not ever having had any success with pastry before, I must say that these were scrummy!

One problem though, I stored the few that were left over in a tupperware box and the pastry has gone very soft. I was going to make some on Christmas Eve to take to my parents the next day but am now worried they will just go soft. Help!
  • researcher
    researcher Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,
    you could:
    Freeze them - this works very well and I have some in my freezer now. If no room then 'refresh' them in the oven - I find a few minutes (5ish) in a medium oven does the job.

Also I store mine in a biscuit tin - rather than tupperware, and I don't find they go soft - maybe that the trick.
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Mine don't last long enough to store!

I put them on a plate in the microwave and they are usually gone within 24 hours!!

My mother kept a few in an ice cream tub and they saved ok
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • HappyIdiotTalk
    Options
    janb5 wrote:
    Mincemeat pies

Makes 2 dozen

10 oz plain flour
    1 oz ground almonds
    6 oz butter
    3 oz caster sugar
    rind of 1/2 lemon
    1 egg yolk
    3 tablespoons milk

Is that salted or unsalted butter? Got friends round tonight expecting HM mince pies and mulled wine. Never made them before but thought I'd give yours a go. Wish me luck, one of the guests is a chef, and his wife could be a Michelin inspecter!
    SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"
  • vivaladiva
    vivaladiva Posts: 2,425 Forumite
    Options
    Will this thread do for Trex, what we did for Stardrops?:cool:
    I have plenty of willpower - it's won't power I need.
  • VickyM_2
    VickyM_2 Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    Is that salted or unsalted butter? Got friends round tonight expecting HM mince pies and mulled wine. Never made them before but thought I'd give yours a go. Wish me luck, one of the guests is a chef, and his wife could be a Michelin inspecter!

I've used this recipe many times and it is really worth doing. I've always used salted butter - I think when Katie Stewart wrote this recipe (back in the 70s) unsalted butter just didn't feature!
  • morganlefay
    morganlefay Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've gotta say that I've made the Katie Stewart pastry for years and we like it tho it's a right pain to roll out (v sticky) but this year I tried the Trex ones (which I see today in Waitrose is now saying that it's 'Free from hydrogenated fats' which it wasn't last week) and they were a DODDLE to make and wonderfully short and light. IMHO if I were new to mincepies, and cooking for a chef, I'd definitely avoid the Katie Stewart ones and go for the Trex ones which could be rolled out straight away and were really good.
  • dannahaz
    dannahaz Posts: 1,068 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Researcher
    Thanks for posting this!

This is the first time I have made pastry since I was at school. It's turned out quite well, but I think I had the mixture a bit too dry. Shame it means I'll just HAVE to make a second batch!

Thanks again

EDITED 6 hours later to add. OMG. I wrote the above just after I turned the pies out of their tins. It's now 6 hours later, the pies are cold and I can't stop eating them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback