Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread

Comments

• LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    Thank you Mhoc....

I'm actually just so chuffed that the site is getting noticed.......
    It's been a long hard slog for those involved in it and they really are very passionate about it spreading.
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    mhoc wrote: »
    also people fridge emptying before they go on holidays

you may say that in jest...but I can confirm that one of the very first concepts for the site was based very much on what was left in a fridge when someone was about to move house
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • Womble 12/8 A v T

2x Kellogg's Crunchy Nut Chcolate & Hazelnut Granola (380G) £5.98 £2.98
    1x Mikado King Chocolate Biscuits (51G) £1.00 £0.69
    [STRIKE]68 [STRIKE]Mouses[/STRIKE] [/STRIKE]

OMG, I'm rich! Silver in the hair, Gold in the teeff, Crystals in the Kidney, Sugar in the blood, Lead in the butt, Iron in the arteries and an inexhaustible supply of natural gas! I never thought I would accumulate such wealth!! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • pattylabelle
    pattylabelle Posts: 7,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    davemorton wrote: »
    I know it seems a lot, but they do last a lot longer. When I used to buy cheap ones, they would last a season, but you can easily get ten years out of a good pair if you so wished, and much better for your eyes than the really cheap ones.
    :cool: :D

Eh?

F&F gave me enough sunglasses to last a lifetime :)
    never stop doing your best because someone doesn't give you credit
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,906 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    LEJC wrote: »
    you may say that in jest...but I can confirm that one of the very first concepts for the site was based very much on what was left in a fridge when someone was about to move house

Someone has offered 5 cold chips near me!! They even bothered to take a photo:o
  • LEJC wrote: »
    Thank you Mhoc....

I'm actually just so chuffed that the site is getting noticed.......
    It's been a long hard slog for those involved in it and they really are very passionate about it spreading.

I just wish there was something so that the farmers don't have to plough perfectly good stuff back into the ground, those parsnips I saw the other week on a repeat of HFW's programme really upset me.

I've seen a vast difference since moving to the town from the wilds. Here it's so easy to pay for sanitised vegetables and then waste, whereas in the countryside an innocent morning coffee with someone invariably involved a huge basket of produce being thrust upon a person. I gave generously, received gratefully and never wasted a thing, not even the peelings, and I really miss the swapping that used to go on. If you went out, you'd often came home to a box of fruit on the doorstep.

I am beginning to think, having moved to town 4 years ago for the grandkids, that it's all been a very lovely experience, but I am almost ready to go home now... I actually haven't dared revisit old haunts in case I find it impossible to return here.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• I just wish there was something so that the farmers don't have to plough perfectly good stuff back into the ground, those parsnips I saw the other week on a repeat of HFW's programme really upset me.

I've seen a vast difference since moving to the town from the wilds. Here it's so easy to pay for sanitised vegetables and then waste, whereas in the countryside an innocent morning coffee with someone invariably involved a huge basket of produce being thrust upon a person. I gave generously, received gratefully and never wasted a thing, not even the peelings, and I really miss the swapping that used to go on. If you went out, you'd often came home to a box of fruit on the doorstep.

I am beginning to think, having moved to town 4 years ago for the grandkids, that it's all been a very lovely experience, but I am almost ready to go home now... I actually haven't dared revisit old haunts in case I find it impossible to return here.

What shocks me is the amount of wild fruit that is wasted. We visit the apple trees nearby, we will go out for half an hour and come back with 10lb of gorgeous blackberries, then in the season we have a favourite chestnut tree. I can understand it with apples, but I am amazed when people that have access to these things can't be bothered and go out and buy instead. OK, with the blackberries you might get pricked, and with the chestnuts a squirrel might try to attack, but it all adds to the fun.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • What shocks me is the amount of wild fruit that is wasted. We visit the apple trees nearby, we will go out for half an hour and come back with 10lb of gorgeous blackberries, then in the season we have a favourite chestnut tree. I can understand it with apples, but I am amazed when people that have access to these things can't be bothered and go out and buy instead. OK, with the blackberries you might get pricked, and with the chestnuts a squirrel might try to attack, but it all adds to the fun.

Yes, I agree. I need to go exploring.

Here, in the autumn, my eyes are often drawn to a particular golden plum tree which rains down fruit. Just one problem, it's located in the lush grassy verges approaching a major roundabout that intersects with a motorway - no pedestrian access naturally!

I heard of one UK town council - can't remember where- that fenced off its plum trees in one of the parks in case someone got injured by falling fruit... :(
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• gocat
    gocat Posts: 5,905 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    What shocks me is the amount of wild fruit that is wasted. We visit the apple trees nearby, we will go out for half an hour and come back with 10lb of gorgeous blackberries, then in the season we have a favourite chestnut tree. I can understand it with apples, but I am amazed when people that have access to these things can't be bothered and go out and buy instead. OK, with the blackberries you might get pricked, and with the chestnuts a squirrel might try to attack, but it all adds to the fun.
    Been doing this since I got my dog 6 years ago. Makes the dog walks more interesting :D
  • mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Mir! wrote: »
    Someone has offered 5 cold chips near me!! They even bothered to take a photo:o

I saw listed a bottle of pears on some sort of brandy - one of those things you get given at Christmas - this had a use by date of July so maybe some one ways to love dangerously :)
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure