Average gas and electric bill?

Comments

• mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 17 February 2010 at 5:34PM
    KimYeovil wrote: »
    Not if they are servers. Not only no standby the nature of servers is they can consume hundreds of processes and hence max out CPUs and PMUs as much as any 3D renderer despite the apparent modest 'active' work they are doing.

It's a few PCs running various Boinc projects so they are running at close to 100% all the time.
    Meter has been read today, 2353 kWh for the quarter which is down a bit as one PC has been off most of the quarter.

Looking at the BG websaver 6 tariff the bill will be around £200 so knocked a £100 off compared to my average bill by switching tariff and using less.
  • Nade_2
    Nade_2 Posts: 20 Forumite
    mjm3346 wrote: »
    It's a few PCs running various Boinc projects so they are running at close to 100% all the time.
    Meter has been read today, 2353 kWh for the quarter which is down a bit as one PC has been off most of the quarter.

Do you run F@H then?

Wish I could have my server on :P.
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Not F @ H, World community grid, rosetta etc

http://boincstats.com/stats/boinc_user_graph.php?pr=bo&id=1382898

• gatita
    gatita Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Nade wrote: »
    Why is that everyone here seems to be paying so much less than me? Why do I have to pay £120-£150+ in a flat.

I agree with you Nade! my monthly bills for the last 2 months have been well over £140 dual fual (actual reading.) thats EACH month by the way!
    When man sacrifices the Love of POWER for the Power of Love, there will be peace on earth.
  • dannymccann
    dannymccann Posts: 567 Forumite
    edited 17 February 2010 at 8:03PM
    3 bed new build, 2 adults and a dog :rotfl:

£20 gas / £20 electric / £18 water a month

Gas / elec is in credit come winter at those rate and is used up fully during cold spells. Due to the extended cold spell we are STILL suffering with it might not cover it this year

edit - powershower / electric shower 1x each per day, Gas CH, gas hob, electric oven, slimline dishwasher, all bulbs energy saving, 19", 23" and 32" TV usually 2 on at once, xbox 360, low power PC (needs upgrading really :(), 2 laptops
  • shegar
    shegar Posts: 1,978 Forumite
    I think you have your bills the wrong way around there. Gas is by far the more expensive fuel and you seem to be using more gas than electric.

I dont think I agree with your comment on gas being dearer that electric , I pay £35 per month for electric and £52 on gas. We have full gas central heating, on 14 hours per day at 21 degrees , well insulated bungalow, DG, newish combi boiler, 7 radiators, electric power shower used twice a day , I dont think I could heat my home on electric for £52 per month, well no way, Id need that for a week.
  • embrace_2
    embrace_2 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 13 March 2010 at 10:19PM
    i pay 100 pound a month for electric on a pre paid meter at 12.95 per kw no outstanding bill
    i live in a large 3 bedroom bungalow 2 reception rooms i am a stay at home mum use the dishwasher once a day wahing machine once a day ...no tumble dryer
    i have two teenager boys
    1 xbox 3 laptops usual other things
    this seems a lot to me but i have bought an energy monitor (owl) and it seems to be correct...... i even have energy saving lightbulbs ......
    why are all the above so much cheaper than mine lol
  • chocolateteddy
    chocolateteddy Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 March 2010 at 10:17AM
    Hi I pay £47 per month elec and £28 a month gas (with Atlantic and get 1 months dd back a year in discount) I was worried about winter bill as it has been cold! so I joined imeasure.org and each week I input my readings and as I tell them the unit price it works out how much I am using in £ I can tell you I now go round after the kids turning off the lights!! They (the kids) are getting there as there can now see by way of a chart what it costs (have managed to knock a 1/3 off our elec consumption over the last month so bills should be lower) and it helps oxford university in data collection also tells you how your carbon output quite pleased we have old victorian house wooden floorboards and last week we were a B!!!

Also our library (suffolk) offers loans of energy monitors so waiting to see what else I can save on
    Thanks to MSE savings we got to go to Disneyworld Florida.

• viktory
    viktory Posts: 7,635 Forumite
    I was paying £80 a month for gas and electric (3 adults, fairly recently built two bed house) and have built up a big credit of £200 so am now only paying £5 a month to use the credit. I read the meter and input the readings online every month to ensure I don't slip into debt.
  • guccigoo
    guccigoo Posts: 483 Forumite
    i pay £45 a month for gas for a 3 bed house with only loft insulated cos i dont have cavity walls. electric i have a key meter and put £15 per week on that but never use it all.
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure