Real-life MMD: Should I pay fixed contribution for teacher's gift?

1161718192022»

Comments

• NO. And don't discuss it with your son either. A gift from you to the teacher is from you not him.
  • 1) Inform the governors of the school

2) Inform the head teacher

3) Inform the tax man

4) DO NOT PAY IT
  • We used to give the teacher an apple, now it seems they want an apple mac!
  • No way! Don't pay! Where has this stupid idea come from - USA I suspect. Look where it's got them. Teach your son about bribery and corruption. Hope he understands.
    Ivan
    :happyhear
  • Do not give anything to these greedy out of touch people.Is it legal for them to intimidate your son in such a way?Go straight to the head and report them,then if it's not withdrawn within 24 hours let them know that your going to make a protest outside the school and contact a national paper.
    Another option is to give your child a note saying that the teacher can collect the money from your home from his father after 6pm.How many of you think the teacher will turn up?
    One final thought,after the Jessops scam last year do people still buy vouchers?
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 11 August 2013 at 5:04AM
    It is strange isn't it:
    In the supposed home of capitalism the USA, you are expected to give massive tips to get people to do what they are (under paid) to do.
    At the other end of the range in the government controlled economies one more or less has to bribe to get anything done efficiently.

At least in the USA there is less of the "you pretend to pay us and we pretend to work" attitude.
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    yz324 wrote: »
    Personally, I think teachers is one of the most underpaid profession in this country. I believe (maybe incorrectly), for many people on this forum, including myself, I think 25 quid once a year is affordable since you are not paying a penny for your child' education education, but the point here is that any sort of gifts should be voluntary.
    Yes you are paying for your child's education: income tax.
  • wishfire
    wishfire Posts: 308 Forumite
    yz324 wrote: »
    Personally, I think teachers is one of the most underpaid profession in this country. I believe (maybe incorrectly), for many people on this forum, including myself, I think 25 quid once a year is affordable since you are not paying a penny for your child' education education, but the point here is that any sort of gifts should be voluntary.

I had previously given generous personal gifts to teachers my school. (For a kid in a comprehensive, anyway), but there are teachers in my school I wouldn't give 25p to for their service.

I actually hope you go the press about this. I just think this is ridiculous.

I'm a teacher....and underpaid! :rotfl: so agreeing with you there...but I don't see why parents, because they don't have to pay for education, should give me, personally, a gift.
    While I'd love more money in my bank every month, it is my decision to teach, and I don't expect a subsidy from parents at the end of the year.
    Maybe they could spend that money on equipment for their kids, so that I don't have to fork out for squidzilion of pens every year...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure