Questions re. discretion during process

Options
diddlydooo
diddlydooo Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 13 January 2017 at 8:12PM in Bankruptcy & living with it
Hi all, long story short - I've had a miserable few years and was diagnosed with anxiety & depression two years ago - been on tablets ever since - lost job etc etc (although I'm currently making a PI claim because of this).

I've racked up about £25k in CC debt with pretty much nothing to show for it - lots of food and booze binges & I'm now jobless, moved back to my parents with -£1700 in the bank on top of the debt!!

Now, I've spoken with the CC companies and they're aware of my illness and have frozen the cards, so we're all good with that, but to be honest, I think bankruptcy is the only route as it's unlikely I'll clear a large sum like that while I'm still unwell.

The question in the thread title really pertains to keeping the process discreet i.e. if I'm living at my Mum's, will anyone from the receiver's office come round to check I've not got a Porsche hidden away or money stuffed under the mattress? Once it's in the receiver's hands and I'm following all the rules, does it guarantee that the debt cannot be sold on to an agency with people coming knocking etc?

I need the fresh start, but my anxiety & paranoia are kicking in big time with this!!

TIA :)

Comments

• tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    diddlydooo wrote: »
    Hi all, long story short - I've had a miserable few years and was diagnosed with anxiety & depression two years ago - been on tablets ever since - lost job etc etc (although I'm currently making a PI claim because of this).

I've racked up about £25k in CC debt with pretty much nothing to show for it - lots of food and booze binges & I'm now jobless, moved back to my parents with -£1700 in the bank on top of the debt!!

Now, I've spoken with the CC companies and they're aware of my illness and have frozen the cards, so we're all good with that, but to be honest, I think bankruptcy is the only route as it's unlikely I'll clear a large sum like that while I'm still unwell.

The question in the thread title really pertains to keeping the process discreet i.e. if I'm living at my Mum's, will anyone from the receiver's office come round to check I've not got a Porsche hidden away or money stuffed under the mattress? Nobody comes around at all. There are too many people going BR and not enough staff to handle home visits. It's all done on line and through phone calls and letters. Some IS offices do send out envelopes with Insolvency Service helpfully stamped on them though <rolls eyes> It is a legal process and you are bound by law to tell the truth and if after investigating your accounts the OR discovers an anomoly they can investigate but for £25k they aren't going to bother much, no offence but that is small fry. If you are discovered to have given a false declaration then the OR does have the force of the law behind him.

Once it's in the receiver's hands and I'm following all the rules, does it guarantee that the debt cannot be sold on to an agency with people coming knocking etc? No it doesn't guarantee that the debt can't be sold to another agency, it quite often happens but a) they can't come knocking, as you put it, straight off the bat they have to write to you and you will tell them you are BR and they can do F*"@k all about it and give them your BR details. Then you tell the OR about the new person claiming the debt and he can update his files. When you are discharged you then sort out your credit files and that will stop that sort of thing happening after BR.

I need the fresh start, but my anxiety & paranoia are kicking in big time with this!!

TIA :)

Your first course of action now is to have a chat with one of the FREE debt charities ie: https://www.nationaldebtline.org
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • diddlydooo
    Options
    Okeydokey that's really helpful thanks! I'm already in contact with Stepchange, so will speak with them :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure