Can't get past welcome/log in screen (boot up) - windows

Comments

• Rubidium
    Rubidium Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post
    As I have not downloaded a 'bootable iso file (just ISO file BEFORE I knew it had to be 'bootable), do you recommend I do the ISO or win 64 bit?
    I assume the latter given I have a new ssd added?
    Because I assumed an iso file was only really used for an existing corrupted HDD/ssd in place?
    Or am I wrong?

You are wrong!

You obviously have a problem following the very detailed step by step instructions that have been provided.

As your very patient helper has posted just "get on with it" and stop making silly assumptions!
  • catoutthebag
    catoutthebag Posts: 2,216 Forumite
    So I have to download the ISO and win 64?

It would have been easier for you RUBIDIUM to say that, one sentence, rather than trolling and belittling my post...bet ya feel so big don't cha BIG MAN! Now, scurry back to your hole.

I am grateful to the posters who have helped.

I have googled and tried lots before this stage. Repair, reinstall, resetting back to a particular date, ordering a USB, downloading iso file (til it was mentioned it has to be 'bootable as no one previously mentioned it prior to download), ordering ssd, installing ssd/removing old HDD.

I think I'm more fond of precise, succinct answers.

1) download ISO AND WIN 64.
    2) make it 'bootable through RUFUS

I could have followed that, those 2 sentences. But in my job, I have to be precise and explain complex things to people who don't know about a subject, so perhaps not everyone starts at this point, as I do.

For the layman, for example, I would not have known a USB had to be 'bootable.

I has to check the shift and restart on Google, but people were telling me to do the options before the shift restart step.

I did not know that both iso and win 10 64 had to be downloaded, assumed it was one or the other, initially at least.
  • emptybox
    emptybox Posts: 442 Forumite
    edited 21 October 2016 at 3:10PM
    So I have to download the ISO and win 64?

It would have been easier for you RUBIDIUM to say that, one sentence, rather than trolling and belittling my post...bet ya feel so big don't cha BIG MAN! Now, scurry back to your hole.

I am grateful to the posters who have helped.

I have googled and tried lots before this stage. Repair, reinstall, resetting back to a particular date, ordering a USB, downloading iso file (til it was mentioned it has to be 'bootable as no one previously mentioned it prior to download), ordering ssd, installing ssd/removing old HDD.

I think I'm more fond of precise, succinct answers.

1) download ISO AND WIN 64.
    2) make it 'bootable through RUFUS

I could have followed that, those 2 sentences. But in my job, I have to be precise and explain complex things to people who don't know about a subject, so perhaps not everyone starts at this point, as I do.

For the layman, for example, I would not have known a USB had to be 'bootable.

I has to check the shift and restart on Google, but people were telling me to do the options before the shift restart step.

I did not know that both iso and win 10 64 had to be downloaded, assumed it was one or the other, initially at least.

Surely you are being advised to download an ISO of Windows 10 64 bit?
    It's not two different things.

An ISO image is basically a disc image. i.e the Windows 10 ISO is everything that would be on a Windows 10 DVD.
    That's why it's easy to write the image to a DVD in order to boot from it, but further steps are required to make a bootable USB drive.
  • catoutthebag
    emptybox wrote: »
    Surely you are being advised to download an ISO of Windows 10 64 bit?
    It's not two different things.

An ISO image is basically a disc image. i.e the Windows 10 ISO is everything that would be on a Windows 10 DVD.
    That's why it's easy to write the image to a DVD in order to boot from it, but further steps are required to make a bootable USB drive.

Right, ok, that answers that.

I am currently downloading the WIN 64BIT into myusb and will try make it BOOTABLE.
  • catoutthebag

Choose ISO Image from the drop down list and then click on the icon to the right and navigate to where you saved the image and double click on the image to insert. Then you can click on the Start button.

must say, the last bit has confused me...where, when, how?

Can I assume this bit above occurs, once I insert my ISO bootabley USB, and click run?
  • catoutthebag
    And which rufus, as no one has mentioned details again unfortunately.

There are like 3 types, one is the same size as the other, except is classed as 'portable'.

For clarification, I have gone for the top version (not portable)
  • Rubidium
    Rubidium Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post
    must say, the last bit has confused me...where, when, how?

Can i assume this bit above occurs, once i insert my iso bootabley usb, and click run?
    and which rufus, as no one has mentioned details again unfortunately.

There are like 3 types, one is the same size as the other, except is classed as 'portable'.

For clarification, i have gone for the top version (not portable)

Unbelievable!

You need to follow the step by step instructions to the letter and not do it how you think that it should be done as you obviously do not have a clue.
  • catoutthebag
    Just arrived in Thailand. I shouldn't be working.

So...let's see what you have done so far. You were supposed to have taken the HDD out and booted the machine up before you inserted the SSD into the machine or even opened up the packaging, but never mind, it's already done. :)

It appears that you aren't carrying out any of the steps, so in your next reply, you are asking me what to do all over again.

The bootable USB flash drive task was posted on the 11th of October, but yet I have no idea if you've yet completed it.
    Get on with it! :)

Once again.......

Windows 10 English International 32 bit

Windows 10 English International 64 bit

You need the 64 bit version.

No need to download either of these if you have already downloaded and saved an image earlier.

If you are not sure if you have created bootable USB Flash media correctly, you can use Rufus to create it for you.

You'll know if you have by plugging the finished drive into another PC and AutoRun opens offering options to install. If not;

Download and save Rufus. Plug USB drive in. Run Rufus.

Place ticks as shown here:

rufus_en.png

Choose ISO Image from the drop down list and then click on the icon to the right and navigate to where you saved the image and double click on the image to insert. The other options will set themselves. Then you can click on the Start button.

Of course you don't need to do this if you have already successfully created bootable USB Flash media.
    I have appeared to have created a 'bootable USB with the win 64 iso file as instructed.:beer:

I will do the rest tomorrow.

By rest, I assume i just plug the USB in, turn on computer with my new ssd, and everything will be ok :j
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    So, to reiterate, you download and save the image to a computer drive. Then you download Rufus, run it and follow the earlier instructions to use Rufus to navigate to and insert the image into the RUFUS interface. Then to click Start to begin the process of creating a bootable USB Flash drive.

Have you tested the finished product?.

To install, plug the USB drive in(you can use the slot at the back) press F2 on start or restart to get into the BIOS setup screen, scroll over the the Boot tab and choose the USB Flash drive too be the first to boot, instead of the SSD. Choose to save the setting and exit.

or.....more simply, press F12 on start up or restart and select the newly inserted USB Flash drive to be the first in the list.
    Look here for more details.

Once the machine begins to read the USB Flash drive during the booting process, the install will begin.
  • Thanks, I will try that tomorrow.

I downloaded the ISO file to the USB and Rufus to a desktop, ensured all the boxes you mentioned were ticked, selected iso and found the iso file on the USB and clicked start as instructed, and it appears to have worked, though it was late and I didn't test it. Other blogs I double checked with appeared to suggest to do it this way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure