The value of the British Pound

Comments

• Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Trying to thrash out yet another Brexit debate is futile. The decision was made as a result of the people voting. It does not matter how close the vote was: it's over and done, we have to move on and deal with the consequences.

I personally voted Remain because I thought that was best for my grandchildren's future, but I respect the democratic decision of the (slim) majority because that is surely what this country is all about, is it not?
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,275 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Robisere wrote: »
    Trying to thrash out yet another Brexit debate is futile. The decision was made as a result of the people voting. It does not matter how close the vote was: it's over and done, we have to move on and deal with the consequences.

I personally voted Remain because I thought that was best for my grandchildren's future, but I respect the democratic decision of the (slim) majority because that is surely what this country is all about, is it not?

Absolutely, we have to deal with the consequences.

One consequence that no-one has spotted yet is that the trade-weighted value of the pound touched its lowest level EVER last night! Lower than that point in the mid-1980s when the pound was worth only a little more than the US dollar. Truly we are venturing into uncharted territory...
  • Trying to thrash out yet another Brexit debate is futile. The decision was made as a result of the people voting. It does not matter how close the vote was: it's over and done, we have to move on and deal with the consequences.

Indeed, but it is not Brexit itself that is the reason for the drop but the Bank of England's decision to trigger an unnecessary second rate cut and round of QE. Money printing has never been kind to the value of currency.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    sgarrod79 wrote: »
    Indeed, but it is not Brexit itself that is the reason for the drop but the Bank of England's decision to trigger an unnecessary second rate cut and round of QE. Money printing has never been kind to the value of currency.

I'd say the balance of trade deficit and the budget deficit. Brexit has merely brought the UK into primary focus in the markets. The issues have been discussed for a very long time. Now it's time to face reality.
  • jumperabv3
    jumperabv3 Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    sgarrod79 wrote: »

Bank of England did what it did because of Brexit ... without Brexit it wouldn't have touched the rates...

GBP/USD is going towards the $1.21 territory, quite shocking ...
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    jumperabv3 wrote: »
    Bank of England did what it did because of Brexit ... without Brexit it wouldn't have touched the rates...

GBP/USD is going towards the $1.21 territory, quite shocking ...

has the unprecedented large deficit in the trade balance for the last few yearsbeen a result of brexit?
    has the continual decline in the UK net foreign assets been a result of brexit?
    has the continual decline in the net foreign dividend transfers been a result of brexit.
  • jumperabv3
    CLAPTON wrote: »
    has the unprecedented large deficit in the trade balance for the last few yearsbeen a result of brexit?
    has the continual decline in the UK net foreign assets been a result of brexit?
    has the continual decline in the net foreign dividend transfers been a result of brexit.

The GBP/USD was stable for years since 2008 .... moving mainly between the 1.5ish to the 1.6ish back and forth.

Brexit --> 1.21

$1.21 - do you realize how insane that is?
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The GBP/USD was stable for years since 2008 .... moving mainly between the 1.5ish to the 1.6ish back and forth.

Brexit --> 1.21

$1.21 - do you realize how insane that is?

do you realise how insane you sound?
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • jumperabv3
    mgdavid wrote: »
    do you realise how insane you sound?

Try to get a vacation (sorry, holiday) in the US now and tell me if I'm insane or perhaps it's the currency that is speaking for itself.

If people are not concerned from having a weaker currency (it has lost over 20% of its value against the dollar since Brexit, OVER 20%) - if that's business as usual for you then honestly I don't know what else to say.

Seeing the GBP as $1.21 against the US Dollar is definitely not business as usual for me.... maybe exporters are laughing but importers are going to raise prices now .... or go bankrupt - whichever that is - it's not going to be good for the economy.

I wonder what the price of US Cars or even Japanese ones are going to be now that the currency has fallen into unforeseen territory ... it's cars, holidays, groceries and goods you buy at Tesco, Sainsbury's, M&S and more...

Seriously if you can't see the problem then you probably don't understand how important the value of your currency is.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Try to get a vacation (sorry, holiday) in the US now and tell me if I'm insane or perhaps it's the currency that is speaking for itself.

If people are not concerned from having a weaker currency (it has lost over 20% of its value against the dollar since Brexit, OVER 20%) - if that's business as usual for you then honestly I don't know what else to say.

Seeing the GBP as $1.21 against the US Dollar is definitely not business as usual for me.... maybe exporters are laughing but importers are going to raise prices now .... or go bankrupt - whichever that is - it's not going to be good for the economy.

I wonder what the price of US Cars or even Japanese ones are going to be now that the currency has fallen into unforeseen territory ... it's cars, holidays, groceries and goods you buy at Tesco, Sainsbury's, M&S and more...

Seriously if you can't see the problem then you probably don't understand how important the value of your currency is.

You appear to be struggling with post gfc economics.

One of the major aims of ultra low interest rates, as well as trying to inflate away the debt that should have been written off in 2009 and stimulating the economy, is to devalue currencies relative to their major ones.

All the major economies have been trying to devalue for nearly the last decade, for example the relative strength if the yen has been a huge concern for the Japanese government given their economy is so reliant on exporting.

The relative volatility of the pound over the last few months is as much a point for concern as its absolute strength, like Brexit it's the uncertainty that can be damaging for businesses and many people in the shirt to medium term.

Some people will gain and some will lose, if you hold equities in non uk markets then you've effectively had a large boost to your holdings in sterling terms. If you are going on vacation then things will be more expensive, simplistically you'll have to work say 20% harder to buy the same holiday, if you can't afford that then you can't take the holiday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure