Lost car log book - where can i get free a new one

Comments

• Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    welshlil wrote: »
    We have found that a lot of doccuments 'go missing' and it's always the most important. So now we send by recorded delivery, shouldn't have to I know, but at least we have peace of mind.

The trouble is these still do not get signed for by the likes of the DVLA. There are too many and they are just delivered.
  • THIS IS SUCH A RIP OFF
    In December I went to the DVLA in Chelmsford to have my private number plate transfered onto my car and they told me they would send me a new Log Book in the post. My car was due to be taxed on Saturday 31st January and since I hadnt recieved it by Friday 30th January I rang them up and told them I still hadnt recieved it.
    I was then told it had been posted on Tuesday 13th January and if I hadnt recieved it, it must have been lost in the post and.....
    That I would have to take my car off the road at midnight Saturday 31st January and on Monday 2nd february I would need to travel back to Chelmsford to get my car taxed.
    BUT wait for this....
    Not only to pay for my car tax but also pay £25 for a new Log Book!!
    Why should I pay the DVLA to replace something I havent recieved from them??
    This totally beggers belief!
    If your TV Liecence hadnt arrived in the post do they charge you £25?
    No they dont!
    Its like these bank charges.
    How can they justify charging £25 to print another one off??
    Did I lose it in the post?
    NO!
    And if they have posted it as they say, bareing in mind, I only have the word of a girl on the other end of a phone....
    Am I not entitled to see some sort of proof of postage and that it was infact actually posted??
    Shouldnt they be taking it up with the postoffice and not me?
    Why was it not returned back to the DVLA?
    It was their official documents they were sending to me.
    Where and what does this £25 get spent on??
    After all I bought the Private Number Plate directly from the DVLA in the first place.
    THIS IS SUCH A RIP OFF!!!!

Can someone please help me out on this one because I am more than hacked off.
    Love Sam..xx

When you did your plate transfer were you given the green slip (V5C/2) from the logbook back? Or do you still have the green slip from when you bought the vehicle? If so take that with you and you will not have to pay the £25.

If you don't have the green slip then when you go to Chelmsford to tax the vehicle then take all the paperwork from the plate transfer with you (plus insurance and MOT) and just say that you want to tax but you've not yet had your logbook through following the plate transfer. They can check the vehicle record and will be able to see that one was recently issued so should not charge you. You will need to fill out V62 form for duplicate logbook and V10 form to tax. Then you will get free logbook through the post.

IF you do have to pay the £25 at Chelmsford then all you need to do is write to V62 Team, DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1DD to explain and you should then get a refund.

DVLA will issue a free of charge replacement logbook if it has been lost in post on way to you provided it is within 3 months since the last one was issued.

The £25 is an admin fee, which was introduced to increase the awareness of the need to keep your logbook safe. But like I siad you shouldn't end up paying anyway and if you do you will more than likely get it refunded.

HTH

x
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • People with private number plates shouldn't be allowed on an money saving website......................................................

Hang on, let me guess - you drive a diesel cos it's better economy...
  • Hi,

I've just come across this issue of the 'admin' fee for lost log books. How come;

a) I am paying my taxes, both car and general, and then have to pay again for a bit of paper to say a car that i own is mine (I have the reciept before you ask!).
    b) Said bit of paper costs £25 to print and post! Come on we've all complained about the banks charging £25-35 for a letter explaining we've gone overdrawn and yet OUR government charges us £25 just because we've been a bit silly and not put it safe (that's if we've received!).

I don't mind pay a small cost for the printing, postage and small amount of work involved for the aforementioned stupidity but £25 seems excessive at best, a Rip off at worst.

Still i guess someone has to plug the hole in the governments finances, so why not make it the motorist (on the day 2.1p per litre was added to fuel!!!) again!
  • loofer
    loofer Posts: 562 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Leighley wrote: »
    Hi,

I've just come across this issue of the 'admin' fee for lost log books. How come;

a) I am paying my taxes, both car and general, and then have to pay again for a bit of paper to say a car that i own is mine (I have the reciept before you ask!).
    b) Said bit of paper costs £25 to print and post! Come on we've all complained about the banks charging £25-35 for a letter explaining we've gone overdrawn and yet OUR government charges us £25 just because we've been a bit silly and not put it safe (that's if we've received!).

I don't mind pay a small cost for the printing, postage and small amount of work involved for the aforementioned stupidity but £25 seems excessive at best, a Rip off at worst.

Still i guess someone has to plug the hole in the governments finances, so why not make it the motorist (on the day 2.1p per litre was added to fuel!!!) again!
    Believe it or not but the details of cars, drivers and licenses are not held on a simple Excel spreadsheet... stored on a cheap computer... manned by a 16yr old school leaver... connected by a simple copper cable to the Police's ANPR system.
  • Mark_Hewitt
    Mark_Hewitt Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    Leighley wrote: »

The V5C has nothing to do with proof of ownership.

Why should general taxation pay for your specific occurence?

£25 seems reasonable to me to pay for the persons time, systems etc. In fact it seems cheap.

2.35p !
  • chigley
    chigley Posts: 111 Forumite
    People with private number plates shouldn't be allowed on an money saving website......................................................

Hang on, let me guess - you drive a diesel cos it's better economy...

I can never figure out why people buy big expensive cars (I am talking RRS, BMW and those silly looking Audi 4x4s) and then bung on a number plate with their initials, normally preceded by something like A13 xxx etc! What is the point of making a brand new, and expensive car look much older than it is for the sake of vanity. If you can afford such a car, why not buy a proper 'dateless' number plate! And I bet all these people grumble about 'privacy' laws too, then drive around in a car with their initials all over it - but it makes my job easier sometimes (grin)
    :TProud to have lived within my means all my life :T
  • The V5C has nothing to do with proof of ownership.

Why should general taxation pay for your specific occurence?

£25 seems reasonable to me to pay for the persons time, systems etc. In fact it seems cheap.

2.35p !

Yes I am aware that the log book doesn't denote ownership only who is the registered keeper and appreciate that someone has to print it out on their systems.

However, my point is not so much that I have to pay but the extortionate level we have to pay (as I pointed out in the orginal post). If they had to employ someone specific to do the job and buy systems in to do my 'specific occurence' then yes £25 would seem very cheap BUT we have already paid for this person & system through BOTH vehicle and general tax, after all they already do the same job when people buy new cars and need the documents in their names.

As I said in original post everyone has moaned (& rightly so) about banks charges for overdrafts etc letters when people have spent money that isn't theirs so should we accept extortionate charges from our government to do a job they are already do (banks write other letters as well!!!)?

At the end of the day, do you really think its cost a public body doing something they already do £25 to print off an extra form? (Are they charging to cover costs or punish me for foolishly losing my log book?)

Ok I was out by 0.25p but that just makes it worst!

(As you can see/imagine I am quite inritated by this issue and dont htink we should except it ;))

• vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    chigley wrote: »
    I can never figure out why people buy big expensive cars (I am talking RRS, BMW and those silly looking Audi 4x4s) and then bung on a number plate with their initials, normally preceded by something like A13 xxx etc! What is the point of making a brand new, and expensive car look much older than it is for the sake of vanity. If you can afford such a car, why not buy a proper 'dateless' number plate! And I bet all these people grumble about 'privacy' laws too, then drive around in a car with their initials all over it - but it makes my job easier sometimes (grin)

It's a form of Chav-dom. :D

Some private plates are worse than others. There's almost a hierarchy in number plates:

(1) A1 - single letter and number
    (2) ABC 1 - full initials and number
    (3) ABC 999 - the middle class of private plates
    (4) AB55 ABC - the wannabes
    (5) OIG 5968 - Northern Irish plates, the cheapest
    (6) Anything that looks like BOSS = utter chav ie BO55 MAN

As an aside I can never understand people who spend £30k-£40k-£50k on a brand new motor and not pay for Bluetooth or have an aftermarket car kit fitted.
    The man without a signature.
  • chigley
    chigley Posts: 111 Forumite
    vikingaero wrote: »
    It's a form of Chav-dom. :D

But it looks so ridiculous - why not go the whole hog and bring back those awful windscreen stickers folks used to fit, you know, the Wayne and Waynetta look :rolleyes:
    :TProud to have lived within my means all my life :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport