Reclaim Care Home Costs for Free- New MSE guide

Options

Comments

• monkeyspanner
    Options
    noelphobic wrote: »
    that's a good point but presumably the attendance allowance would be owed to the DWP rather than the PCT. Would they actually come after you for that or would you be expected to go to them and offer to pay it back?

I can't remember the precise details but I think it was deducted from my MIL's retrospective payment. I also remember we had a letter from the DWP asking for repayment but I think that was regarding a hospital admission prior to the care home admission. In either case it stops after the first 28days.
  • davidbrogelli
    Options
    Has anyone heard of an extension to the deadline?? I have been told by somebody who had a link to a Claims Management Company who said there may have been an extension to the deadline until the 15th October. Is this specific to one PCT or is it a nationwide extension or has anybody heard of it at all?

I've tried searching on the internet, but can't find any information to help me. My Grandmother has registered her claim before the deadline, but I keep meeting people (in the care home) who are yet to have heard about the possibility of re-claiming fees, so it would be useful to know about an extension so I can keep spreading the word.
  • noelphobic
    Options
    Has anyone heard of an extension to the deadline?? I have been told by somebody who had a link to a Claims Management Company who said there may have been an extension to the deadline until the 15th October. Is this specific to one PCT or is it a nationwide extension or has anybody heard of it at all?

I've tried searching on the internet, but can't find any information to help me. My Grandmother has registered her claim before the deadline, but I keep meeting people (in the care home) who are yet to have heard about the possibility of re-claiming fees, so it would be useful to know about an extension so I can keep spreading the word.

I've just spoken to someone in a solicitors about taking our case on. They said they would need to put our claim in today if we agreed to them taking our case on. I explained we had registered our claim nearly 2 years ago so that deadline wasn't relevant to us. She sounded shocked that nothing had happened since we registered the claim and didn't mention the deadline being extended. She has said she will call me back this morning.

My car insurance expires today so that is one deadline that I can't miss and need to sort out asap! Quote from existing insurer was over 2k :eek:
    3 stone down, 3 more to go
  • seriesiii
    Options
    I have been looking into this for my sister who has been living in a care home for about 20 years. At the moment she is partially funded by the Local Authority and makes a top-up payment herself to cover the total cost. She receives DLA Mobility Component and income support. This is her only income and she pays her contribution from it. She is also eligable for DLA Care component but this has stopped because she lives in the care home. She has cerebral palsy and mental health problems. She needs total 24 hour care, bathing, tioleting, feeding etc. This leads me to believe that she would qualify for the NHS continuing healthcare. But, and to me, it is a big but, the following rules should be taken very seriously into consideration

[FONT=BBJHL C+ Geometric 415 BT,Geometric][FONT=BBJHL C+ Geometric 415 BT,Geometric]

[/FONT][/FONT]Attendance Allowance and Disability Living Allowance [both care and mobility components] stop after 28 days in hospital and/or a care home being funded by NHS Continuing Care. If you have a Motability Agreement the higher rate mobility component will continue to be paid to Motability’s service providers in relation to a hire purchase/contract hire of a Motability vehicle.
    [FONT=BBJHL C+ Geometric 415 BT,Geometric][FONT=BBJHL C+ Geometric 415 BT,Geometric][FONT=BBJHL C+ Geometric 415 BT,Geometric][FONT=BBJHL C+ Geometric 415 BT,Geometric]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=BBJHL C+ Geometric 415 BT,Geometric][FONT=BBJHL C+ Geometric 415 BT,Geometric]
    [/FONT][/FONT]
    Losing her DLA payment may also mean that she would lose any disability premiums from other benefits as well. After taking this into account, the difference between the amount she receives in benefits and the amount of the top-up payment she makes, then she would be about £30 a week worse off if she were awarded the NHS continuing care. Knowing how the benefits system works (I wish), it wouldn't surprise me if she ended up owing them money. The amount of any refund would be offset by the amount of overpaid benefits and she would end up owing them about £12000, this represents £30 a week for the last 8 years. I would advise anyone in a similar situation to think twice before they go ahead with it. Of course, this only applies if the disabled person is in receipt of benefits.
  • caper7
    caper7 Posts: 153 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 28 September 2012 at 2:22PM
    Options
    Monkeyspanner, Noelphobic,
    http://www.ncl.nhs.uk/about/continuing-healthcare.aspx
    This is the link I found, in the top right there is a box with documents you can download.
    I think I stumbled on this page when trying to find contact details for the PCT's I wanted, so this page relates to London only I think.
  • caper7
    caper7 Posts: 153 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Update:

In an uninformed panic on the 26 September, I sent a brief email outlining my situation to the relevant PCT's, I also phoned two of them.
    I have been assured by email and on the phone that this is sufficient in order to meet the deadline, and that for the form itself there is no official deadline.
    Having briefly scanned the forum and hearing that apparently people were having to request Gp/hospital/care home records etc... the task seemed daunting and depressing.
    However this morning a man from one of the PCT's called, he was having trouble finding out which GP my father was registered at when in one of the homes and had decided it might just be quicker to phone and ask me.
    I took the opportunity of asking about did I have to go getting all these records for a claim, and he said no it was their job.
    Initially relieved, thinking I would just fill out the form to the best of my ability and they can check all the records... I then thought that I might also need the records in order to do the most thorough job of the form and I remember one of the care home files was a paper file (not computerised).
    So will I be hindering things by also requesting documents, we can't both have the file?
    And as I have been typing this, the thought occurs to me that I am being naive, are they wanting to get the files in order to refute any claim, would they remove any key documents? Or am I now being too cynical. I really came to this thinking facts would be facts and things would simply be assessed or reassessed according to the criteria.
    Mostly, I am just shocked at the speed with which they have got on to things.
    Realise I am rambling somewhat, just can't quite get my head round the process...
  • noelphobic
    noelphobic Posts: 2,297 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    caper7 wrote: »
    Update:

In an uninformed panic on the 26 September, I sent a brief email outlining my situation to the relevant PCT's, I also phoned two of them.
    I have been assured by email and on the phone that this is sufficient in order to meet the deadline, and that for the form itself there is no official deadline.
    Having briefly scanned the forum and hearing that apparently people were having to request Gp/hospital/care home records etc... the task seemed daunting and depressing.
    However this morning a man from one of the PCT's called, he was having trouble finding out which GP my father was registered at when in one of the homes and had decided it might just be quicker to phone and ask me.
    I took the opportunity of asking about did I have to go getting all these records for a claim, and he said no it was their job.
    Initially relieved, thinking I would just fill out the form to the best of my ability and they can check all the records... I then thought that I might also need the records in order to do the most thorough job of the form and I remember one of the care home files was a paper file (not computerised).
    So will I be hindering things by also requesting documents, we can't both have the file?
    And as I have been typing this, the thought occurs to me that I am being naive, are they wanting to get the files in order to refute any claim, would they remove any key documents? Or am I now being too cynical. I really came to this thinking facts would be facts and things would simply be assessed or reassessed according to the criteria.
    Mostly, I am just shocked at the speed with which they have got on to things.
    Realise I am rambling somewhat, just can't quite get my head round the process...

I would definitely get copies of the records yourself. We honestly did not find this to be difficult at all. I would not leave it to the PCT. They do have to obtain the records but leave them to do that for themselves and you get your own copies.
  • noelphobic
    noelphobic Posts: 2,297 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    caper7 wrote: »
    I then thought that I might also need the records in order to do the most thorough job of the form and I remember one of the care home files was a paper file (not computerised).

you can just get a photocopy.
  • covman
    covman Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 28 September 2012 at 3:35PM
    Options
    Hello,
    I've just come across this thread and I believe my Mother could benefit from this but I note the dealine for starting the process is 30th September (Sunday).

How can I start the process within the deadline as I am at work and unable to contact the Primary Care Trust before close of business (5pm) when I am sure they will be closed?

Can I start the process with an e-mail to them or a registered letter or do you think they will be open tomorrow morning?

Many thanks.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    covman wrote: »
    Hello,
    I've just come across this thread and I believe my Mother could benefit from this but I note the dealine for starting the process is 30th September (Sunday).

How can I start the process within the deadline as I am at work and unable to contact the Primary Care Trust before close of business (5pm) when I am sure they will be closed?

Can I start the process with an e-mail to them or a registered letter or do you think they will be open tomorrow morning?

Many thanks.

A phone call or an email will do the trick - ideally a phone call, because you can take a note of the person who took the call.

If you really can't phone, the email route should be fine, though, particularly if you can find (which you will probably be able to, online) the name of the person nominated to receive these claims.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure