Powergen - underhand

Because Powergen recently sent me details of increased fuel costs I looked on the switching sites to see if I should change suppliers. NPower came up cheaper but not much. I then looked closer and was suprised to see that the rates quoted on the switching sites for powergen were much cheaper than those quoted to me in my letter. I telephoned Powergen for an explanation and was told that customers who signed up after december 2005 were on a cheaper rate. I was immediately put on the cheaper rate and also given an extra 5% of my current bill by way of compensation. If I hadn't looked closely at the rates on the switching sites I would have carried on paying the higher tarif and it would have cost me over £130 extra in the year.
Please double check your tarif the lower rates are 1st 800 units per year 15.58p subsequent units 6.94p. This compares with 1st 900 units 15.13p and subsequent units 9.04p.

N Power is still cheaper but I must say that each of the three times I phoned Powergen I got through to a real person IMEDIATELY and that has got to count for something.

Comments

• Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    when I rang to complain about the same they just wanted to know who I was switching too so my prices didn't go up to the new ones before I left, horses for courses
  • mikemoate
    mikemoate Posts: 414 Forumite
    Woby_Tide wrote:
    when I rang to complain about the same they just wanted to know who I was switching too so my prices didn't go up to the new ones before I left, horses for courses
    Similar here, and I have spoken to real people at npower too.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • alared
    alared Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    I too am with Pgen pre Dec 2005 and have been put on the higher tariff than post Dec 2005 customers.
    I don`t see why I should have all the hassle of switching, when Pgen DO have a lower rate to put me on, but would rather tell a pack of lies and lose a customer than actually do it.
    Npower have done exactly the same with their old customers and invented a cheaper tariff for new customers called "Sign Online".
    If the tatics of these companies is not manipulating the market,I don`t know what is!
  • tightrs
    tightrs Posts: 517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    alared wrote:
    I too am with Pgen pre Dec 2005 and have been put on the higher tariff than post Dec 2005 customers.
    I don`t see why I should have all the hassle of switching, when Pgen DO have a lower rate to put me on, but would rather tell a pack of lies and lose a customer than actually do it.
    Npower have done exactly the same with their old customers and invented a cheaper tariff for new customers called "Sign Online".
    If the tatics of these companies is not manipulating the market,I don`t know what is!
    i phoned powergen free on 0800 092 9061 and swapped on to the cheaper plan last week.
    n power are slightly cheaper for me but "better the devil you know".
  • alared
    I contacted Pgen today and have been moved to the cheaper tariff.
    I also take the view "better the devil
    "

I must say that when I phoned last week and asked to be put on the better rate,I was told in no uncertain terms(lied to)that I couldn`t be moved and I was on the lowest tariff.
  • I'm with powergen. I am on their green plan tariff and normal gas tariff. How do you know whether your on the higher rate or not. Sorry but I don't really understand :confused:
  • alared
    I found this bit tucked away on the Pgen website:

"Existing Powergen customer? – If you’re an existing customer we’d like to ensure that we quote the best product for you. To see if you could make savings by choosing another Powergen product, call us on 0800 0151712 between 8.00am and 8.00pm Monday to Friday (8.00am and 4.00pm on Saturday)."

It seems to me a case of the left hand not knowing what the rights doing.
    When I first rang to get a better deal (not on the above number) I was told point blank I couldn`t be moved and the new increased tariff was the "best" for me anyway.
    Thanks to reading the above posts and a bit of persistence (mentioning Energywatch seems to galvanise Pgen into action)I have now been put on the POST Dec 2005 tariff which according to the search sites will save me £56 above the PRE Dec 2005 tariff.
    I have done my own calculations and I`m happy with because I don`t want the hassle of moving elsewhere because to be honest ones as bad as the other.
    I sent Npower an email a week ago I`ve still not received an answer,seems they are as useless as Pgen in responding.
  • Thanks for the reply. Yes I feel the same, I can't be bothered with a move, as like you say, they are all as bad as each other, and I don't think anyone benefits other than the utility companies.

I think I'll contact them and ask them to quote a good deal for me, and if they say oh your on the best deal for you, I'll throw energywatch ect at them lol.
  • mikeassured
    mikeassured Posts: 311 Forumite
    Hi

I am on dual fuel online with powergen, does the above rates just relate to just people taking just electricity from them?

Thanks
  • alared
    Hi

I am on dual fuel online with powergen, does the above rates just relate to just people taking just electricity from them?

Thanks

No both fuels.
    If you signed up for duel fuel energy online BEFORE Dec 2005 you are paying more now than people who signed up after that date.
    Phone the number above and tell them you want to be put on their "engeryonline tariff"
    If you go to https://www.energylinx.co.uk and put your figures in they will come up with who will save you the most.
    Ignor all the ones they say and scroll down `til you come to Pgen energyonline and print of the rates and then compare it to what your latest increase was.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure