Online store refuses refund & accuses me of fraud...

Hi everyone,

I ordered a designer jumper from Zalando online. When the item arrived via courier, it was a cheapo jumper that had been tagged with the designer tag (safety pin through label).

I returned the item with a nice note to say - you've sent the wrong item, wrongly labelled, can I have a refund please?

They've emailed me today refusing a refund, saying that the returned item clearly wasn't the designer one I'd ordered (of course it wasn't!). The only option they've given is to return the cheapo item to me.

This is all a bit odd. So they're refusing to refund me because the item I returned clearly wasn't the designer one I never got from them!!

The wording of their email implied that I had the designer item btw...

Any advice???

Comments

• bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    They are a very large genuine company that clearly believe you are trying to con them. Good luck getting anything from them.
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    how did you pay?
  • Paypal.

Really quite frustrating this. Without a cameraphone video of me opening the packet to see the cheapo item, I'm not sure what I can do.

I've not gone & bought the same item elsewhere btw but not sure what I can do here.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I've not gone & bought the same item elsewhere btw
    Is this a typo? Did you mean to say you HAVE bought elsewhere?
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Is the cheapo jumper something they stock, or can you trace whether the two brands are made in the same factory?

I've had this happen before with Debenhams, two different brands made at the same place. I contacted them as soon as it arrived and they issued a refund.
  • sorry yes, I HAVE now gone & bought the thing elsewhere. Not happy with zalando (not least because of their recent communications) so asked for a refund.

The item they sent was "broadly" in line with the one I ordered (a blue jumper) but was different enough to have easily spotted difference. One I bought was blue chunky wool, one they sent was blue fine material.

Item I wanted was Superdry, thing they sent had a superdry card label attached by safety pin, but the actual label of the wrong jumper was not superdry.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    What brand have they sent instead?
  • I don't remember that offhand, but regardless wasn't superdry. Was a guy's name. Was clearly not item I sent.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The item they sent was "broadly" in line with the one I ordered (a blue jumper) but was different enough to have easily spotted difference. One I bought was blue chunky wool, one they sent was blue fine material.
    I suppose it's possible that an earlier (fraudulent) return has found it's way back onto their shelves, otherwise I'm struggling to understand how you would receive a totally different item "tagged" with a designer label.

Clearly, they don't believe it's possible for the item to have originally come from them. They are a reputable firm which sells quality merchandise.

All you can do is write an appeal insisting that the item is very definitely the one you received from them, but clearly not the one you ordered.
  • Yep, not something I've seen before. Frustrated as I'm not sure how I prove anything. In a way I can't really blame Zalando for refusing the item. But also in a way, once I opened the packet I was knackered.

But...begs the question of "you had no checks in place when you shipped it to me, but obvious checks when I returned it".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure