Postage cost

I might be wrong here but i think in the past postal costs have gone up around March/April.

I have some things i really need to throw on eBay, or Gumtree or whatever but i don't want to be caught out by any hikes in postage.

Have they already happened, are they due?

Comments

• steveE2
    steveE2 Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Already happened 27th March
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,192 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I might be wrong here but i think in the past postal costs have gone up around March/April.

I have some things i really need to throw on eBay, or Gumtree or whatever but i don't want to be caught out by any hikes in postage.

Have they already happened, are they due?

GOogle really is your friend for RM prices;
    http://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/Royal-Mail-Our-Prices-March-2017_0.pdf

Prices from 27th March 2017
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • That'll do me.

Time to get listing.

Thanks.
  • Prices went down for me.

Used to cost me £3.95 to post item recorded.

Then it dropped down to £3.90 in march. :)

And now I don't use recorded anymore as standard parcel delivery has online confirmation so it's dropped further down to £2.90. :T
  • soolin
    Prices went down for me.

Used to cost me £3.95 to post item recorded.

Then it dropped down to £3.90 in march. :)

And now I don't use recorded anymore as standard parcel delivery has online confirmation so it's dropped further down to £2.90. :T

Prices did not go down, you were probably mistaken about what you were paying before the rise in March 2017. There was a difference between buying online and buying at a PO, from memory that was only 5p though. Buying from a PO before March a small parcel (not signed for ) was £2.85 and it is now £2.90. Signed for adds an additional £1.10 to the price.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin wrote: »
    Prices did not go down, you were probably mistaken about what you were paying before the rise in March 2017. There was a difference between buying online and buying at a PO, from memory that was only 5p though. Buying from a PO before March a small parcel (not signed for ) was £2.85 and it is now £2.90. Signed for adds an additional £1.10 to the price.

I was paying £3.95 recorded second class, after 27th March 2017 it became £3.90 so for me prices did go down.

I even used this site to check http://postageestimator.ebay.co.uk/ prices before and after March 2017 and it went from £3.95 down to £3.90.

The person who served me at the post office also confirmed prices for my packages were lower by 5p due to the changes.

All purchases were made at post office. I have a spreadsheet of all my postage costs so I'm pretty sure I'm not mistaken.
  • soolin
    I stand partly corrected, it appears that whilst I am correct and small parcels have gone up in price from £2.85 in 2016 to £2.90 in 2017, the signed for element has reduced. I hadn't noticed that!

So a signed for parcel in 2016 was £3.95 and now it is £3.90, so signed for on parcels has reduced by 10p overall.

Well I never
  • ballisticbrian
    ballisticbrian Posts: 3,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Royal Mail were clearly responding to the budget couriers. But the critical change being the delivery confirmation on small parcels. Is there any difference in compensation? Because it's actually worth sending a very heavy large letter in a big box to get delivery confirmation rather than sending it signed for.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Royal Mail were clearly responding to the budget couriers. But the critical change being the delivery confirmation on small parcels. Is there any difference in compensation? Because it's actually worth sending a very heavy large letter in a big box to get delivery confirmation rather than sending it signed for.

I sent a large letter as a small parcel to get tracking and it worked no problem.
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    I sent a large letter as a small parcel to get tracking and it worked no problem.
    I need to look at the figures for this. Is there a point where a standard packet with delivery confirmation is cheaper than a Large Letter sent Signed For?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure