PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Gas leak - help!

Comments

• Nope, there's never been an inspection! And my mom has never been given a gas safety certificate for the house.
    My mom never thought the cupboard smelled like gas. It's just this time that I've been back that I went in the cupboard and smelt gas and my mom said 'it's always smelt like that but I thought it just smelt old and musty, not like gas'

It does smell old and musty.. but also like gas.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    If someone is sent to do some work on the gas pipes and/or appliances your mum should ask to see their ID and check that they are a Gas Safety Registered engineer. If they are not a gas safety registered engineer they should not be tinkering with gas pipes and appliances.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    There is ONE rule to "I think I smell gas".
    Immediately phone the emergency number, a little man comes out for free and checks.
    On the phone they will tell you to open the doors and windows, to turn the gas off at the mains and, preferably, to wait outside for the little man.

You're really putting people at risk by choosing any other route. If there is a gas leak, it might still be sitting in pockets here and there .....

If you're not sure if it's gas or not .... and, let's face it, a dozen people there think it is .... then still call the emergency number and let the little man come out because .... people could die - and that's what the service is there for - and it's free.
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,276 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Four people smell gas four hours ago and you are still typing a stupidly long post trying to decide what to to.....
    JUST PHONE THE NUMBER!!!
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I would suggest that your mom looks for somewhere else to live. If she takes her time and looks around at what is available she can then decide if she wants to move or not.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Kellyallen wrote: »
    Nope, there's never been an inspection! And my mom has never been given a gas safety certificate for the house.
    The law says she should be given a valid GSR when the tenancy starts.

And further reports every 12 months.

Since this has not happened, I believe a letter to the LL is a good 2nd step.

The letter should

a) point out the legal requirement which the LL has failed to comply with
    b) point out that there has been an undiscovered gas leak for an unknown period of time, which would have been discovered if the LL had arranged the annual inspections as required
    c) the gas leak needs fixing immediately
    d) as a result of the gas leak, the tenant has incurred high gas bills, costing an estimated extra £X

The tenant does not wish to involve the Health and Safety Executive unless necessary, so hopes that the LL will arrange for a repair, and a payment of £X, within the next 3 working days.

(You'll need to calculate a fair amount for £X - ie actual bill - 'normal' or expected gas bill.)

Step 1, of course, is, as others have said, to get Transgas out asap to confirm if there IS in fact a leak.
  • Sorry to offend!
    I didn't write a stupidly long post deciding what to do. I wrote the post explaining to people who were asking whether my mom was refusing entry and why she'd allowed the hot water to be off for so long.
    The smell that we think is gas has been there for a long long time. It's only today that people have said they think it smells like gas.
    We've been told to !!!! off the gas and someone is coming to us tomorrow.
    I would have called the number but a gas expert is coming to us tomorrow and after we asked him if we should call NG he said no just shut the gas off and open the windows and he'll sort it tomorrow.
    The smell isn't in the house. It's when you put your head in the cupboard.
  • Thank you G_M! That's the sort of thing I needed, a way to speak to the LL firmly without rubbing them up the wrong way. I'll do that when we know more tomorrow.
    They're so difficult to deal with and drag their feet.

I was in a rental property and the boiler was condemned as it didn't have inspection hatches along the flue. Had never had a gas inspection. And my LL dragged her feet for over a week before she had it repaired and hatches put in so it could be seitched back on, even after being told what they were doing was a criminal offence.... and she was a lawyer!!!
    So, god knows what these people will be like!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 April 2017 at 10:55PM
    Kellyallen wrote: »
    I would have called the number but a gas expert is coming to us tomorrow and after we asked him if we should call NG he said no just shut the gas off and open the windows and he'll sort it tomorrow.
    'Gas expert'?

I trust this is a GasSafe registered engineer. Check here:

https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/find-an-engineer/#checkanengineer

Who asked him to come and who is paying him? The landlord should doing this, not the tenant. Indeed, there are liabilities associated with tenants organising repairs, quite apart from the cost (which you canNOT claim back from the LL if you've bypassed him and arranged it yourself).

The proper way to deal with this is:

1) emergency ie possible gas leak: - cal the free emergency number to National Grid as others have said.

2) non emergency: - write (and possibly also call) the landlord as per:

* Repairing Obligations: the law, common misconceptions, reporting/enforcing, retaliatory eviction & the new protection (2015)
  • Lovem
    Lovem Posts: 205 Forumite
    Forget the landlord just call the emergency number! This is not something to mess around with. It can and will kill from either an explosion or carbon monoxide poisoning.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure