first choice & Thomsons airline flight seating

Comments

• fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    zagfles wrote: »
    - the airlines really should provide seats that taller people can comfortably sit in without charging them extra.

What you describe would mean less seats on the plane and every passenger paying extra to make up for it. Not many "regular" people would agree to that. It's unfortunate that nature threw excess height at some people, but airlines quite rightly are set up for the majority, not the outliers.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    If £70 is return for two people, then it's cheap.

I flew to Canada with BA last year in PE/WT+. It cost £160 (4 * 40) to reserve return seats for two people. It was a lot, but it got us the window/aisle pair in a 2-3-2 configuration, and I figured it was worth paying for.

We are flying to LA in Business/CW in June. BA again. Seat reservation for the two of us return would cost £396! (Yes, £99 pp each way). This time, I don't think its worth it. I'll take whatever seats are available at check in. It's a total rip off, but it is what it is. There is no point moaning about it. Other airlines are available.
  • Nick_C
    ... the airlines really should provide seats that taller people can comfortably sit in without charging them extra. After all they don't charge fat people extra for the extra weight - if your baggage is 10kg overweight they'd charge you a fortune for being overweight with the excuse that more weight = more fuel, but they don't charge a 90kg person more than an 80kg person. So why charge tall people more?

Most airlines provide comfortable seats for anyone who is prepared to pay for them. Most people prefer to pay less and be less comfortable. If you want a more spacious and comfortable seat, then pay for it. The space you are taking up has to be paid for somehow.

I would be quite happy paying by the kilo for my body weight and the weight of my hold and hand luggage.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    fifeken wrote: »
    What you describe would mean less seats on the plane and every passenger paying extra to make up for it. Not many "regular" people would agree to that. It's unfortunate that nature threw excess height at some people, but airlines quite rightly are set up for the majority, not the outliers.
    Well obviously, that's why I compared it to weight! Extra weight = extra cost, obviously extra legroom seats are extra cost, why should one pay extra but not the other? Catering for disabled people is extra cost too.

PS I didn't mean that the entire plane should contains seats suitable for basketball players, just that taller people who have a physical requirement for extra legroom should be able to get the existing extra legroom seats without paying extra for them.
  • zagfles
    Nick_C wrote: »
    Most airlines provide comfortable seats for anyone who is prepared to pay for them. Most people prefer to pay less and be less comfortable. If you want a more spacious and comfortable seat, then pay for it. The space you are taking up has to be paid for somehow.
    Personally I don't have a problem, but I can see taller people might through no fault of their own. It's debatable whether peoples' physical state should be catered for at their expense or as an overall average where people get the seats they need.

Certainly if I was sat in an extra legroom seat and someone who was 6 foot 6 was struggling behind me, I'd be willing to swap.

Just as I would if I were on a bus and there were no seats free and a disabled pensioner got on, I'd give up my seat for them. Even though I had paid and they probably hadn't.
    I would be quite happy paying by the kilo for my body weight and the weight of my hold and hand luggage.
    Then why don't airlines do that - if they're going to charge tall people more?

Probably because of the outcry they'd get, accusations of "fat shaming" etc. Bad PR. I think one airline did suggest it and it didn't go down well. But it would make it cheaper for families - a 2 year old doesn't weigh much!
  • Nick_C
    edited 18 April 2017 at 3:56PM
    I think its only Samoa Air and Uzbekistan Airways who charge passengers by weight, but quite a few airlines require large passengers to pay for two seats.

https://www.cheapair.com/blog/travel-tips/airline-policies-for-overweight-passengers-traveling-this-summer/

Of course, exit row seats in economy offer more space. I don't have a problem with those seats being offered FOC to taller passengers. But exit rows are a neccessity. I don't think it would be fair to add more rows of more spacious seats purely to accommodate taller people. Would you also have even more dense seating for short people? Or children?
  • zagfles
    Nick_C wrote: »
    I think its only Samoa Air and Uzbekistan Airways who charge passengers by weight, but quite a few airlines require large passengers to pay for two seats.

https://www.cheapair.com/blog/travel-tips/airline-policies-for-overweight-passengers-traveling-this-summer/

Of course, exit row seats in economy offer more space. I don't have a problem with those seats being offered FOC to taller passengers. But exit rows are a neccessity. I don't think it would be fair to add more rows of more spacious seats purely to accommodate taller people. Would you also have even more dense seating for short people? Or children?
    In principle don't see why not but in practice it would likely be impractical as you'll have mixed height couples who may want to sit with each other and similarly parents with children.

Maybe seats that are moveable backwards are forwards, like in a car - if my wife is in the front and a tall person is sat behind she'll move her seat forwards to give the taller person behind more legroom at the expense of hers as she doesn't need as much.

But that of course requires consideration for your fellow passengers so I doubt it would work on an airline. It seems once people get on a plane it's all me me me!

Other public transport usually has spaces reserved for people with particular needs (not usually height as that's rarely an issue, but other stuff like disabilites, age, or those with children). And you get people giving seats up to those who need their seat more, regardless of who paid what. But on planes it seems to be more about who paid what rather than who needs what.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    In principle don't see why not but in practice it would likely be impractical as you'll have mixed height couples who may want to sit with each other and similarly parents with children.

Maybe seats that are moveable backwards are forwards, like in a car - if my wife is in the front and a tall person is sat behind she'll move her seat forwards to give the taller person behind more legroom at the expense of hers as she doesn't need as much.

But that of course requires consideration for your fellow passengers so I doubt it would work on an airline. It seems once people get on a plane it's all me me me!

Other public transport usually has spaces reserved for people with particular needs (not usually height as that's rarely an issue, but other stuff like disabilites, age, or those with children). And you get people giving seats up to those who need their seat more, regardless of who paid what. But on planes it seems to be more about who paid what rather than who needs what.

In your example what happens to the money that i paid for the extra leg room seats that would be given to someone like yourself who refuses to pay for seats?
    In the world of air travel you get what you pay for, be that first class,business class or extra leg room !
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • zagfles
    Ganga wrote: »
    [/B]

In your example what happens to the money that i paid for the extra leg room seats that would be given to someone like yourself who refuses to pay for seats?
    I don't need an extra legroom seat.
    In the world of air travel you get what you pay for, be that first class,business class or extra leg room !
    Would you give up your seat on a bus to a disabled pensioner, or would you refuse on the grounds you'd paid but they hadn't (as they have a free bus pass)?

Personally if someone needs my seat more than I do, I'd happily swap, regardless of who paid what. Whether that be someone who's tall, fat, old, disabled, or with children.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    On some airlines with the legal minimum of seat pitch, the extra legroom seats should be reserved free of charge for very tall passengers.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure