Has anyone actually been taken to court for not paying NHS Penalty fines?

I face a massive fine I can't pay because I ticked the box on my prescription saying I was eligible for free prescriptions. This is because I am on working tax credit and a very low income, and I asked the chemist if this meant I got free prescriptions (I was on benefits years ago, i forgot how it works with prescriptions). He said yes, and I ticked the box and got my free prescriptions (I have nerve damage).

Then I got a letter saying I was being fined (including what my prescriptions should have cost) £139. I realise, having tried to appeal unsuccessfully, that the onus is on me to read the form and know if I am eligible or not. Fair enough (not really as I've read a lot of accounts of this happening and by now chemists, dental nurses etc, should have been told that they shouldn't falsely tell someone they will be free, they should either have the right information or be told 'read the form, I cannot tell you, and if you get it wrong they'll fine you £100+) but the fine is so excessive I can't pay and feel it is unfairly massive, and don't want to pay.

You can tell me I am in the wrong if you like, and should pay. But my question is: has anyone actually been taken to court to recover the money? I've looked around the internet and can't find anyone who has. So what if I just don't pay, what will happen?

Thanks. Sorry if this isn't the right forum, I wasn't sure which one to post in.

Comments

• St.Exmin wrote: »
    So what if I just don't pay, what will happen?
    You'll be taken to court and face an even larger bill to cover the additional court cost. What you did was fraudulent and should not be treated lightly.

If you genuinely cannot pay the fine in one go, then you should approach the agency which has issued the fine and arrange to pay in manageable instalments.

This won't just go away.
  • Mupette
    Mupette Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    As you have said the Onus is on you to read the forms.

Never rely on someone else...
    GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    This thread was posted over a year ago...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure