PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Redcurrants Galore!

Hi all,

My redcurrants are well and truly ready at my new house and i have just picked 1 kilo of them but have no idea what to do with them. We have been picking and eating for a few days but i feel i want to cook with these as there is a tub full.

Never used them before so any recipes would be very gratefully recieved.

Lashy

Comments

• thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Let me guess, you're not in the UK are you ? :D

One of my favourite things to do with my meagre redcurrant crop is to simply put them in a dish, sprinkle with sugar and leave for a few hours. The sugar 'cooks' the currants. I serve this with cream and meringues, or over a plain cake.

Try mixing the sugary currants with whipped cream and churning in an ice cream-maker -if you have one obviously.

Mix the currants with other berries -raspberries and blackcurrants for preference and make summer pudding .

Redcurrant jelly is delicious too.
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    Lashy - the currants 'cooked in sugar' as mentioned above are also delicious on vanilla ice cream - my favourite!
    we have a german neighbour who makes a very good redcurrant liqueur. otherwise apart from jelly you can also use them for jam - and they are very good added to jams made with other fruits because their high pectine level.
    what i do myself when i have too much of a glut is extract the juice in a steam juicer (but although these are common in france, germany and belgium, they are virtually unknown in the UK so not sure about australia).
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • :hello: Thanks Thriftlady i am in Australia so yes, just a little outside the UK but i know my mum grows them in her garden in the UK.

I like the idea of sugaring them... yum...

I do have an ice cream maker, but not a stitch of room in the freezer for it :rotfl:

Loads more to pick at the weekend so i want to keep on top of them

Lashy
  • Little_Belle
    Little_Belle Posts: 74 Forumite
    Never one to pass up free food I have been given a large bag of red currants. Only thing is apart from eating them fresh I've never done anything else with them. I certainly couldn't eat the whole bag before they went rotten unless i needed an excuse to sit on the warm wooden seat for a couple of days without moving!

Anyway, I know that some people have red currant jam with meat but i am not a fan of doing that *bleurgh* fruit and meat should not be mixed IMO

So my question is what can i do with my bounty? I could make jam I guess but I only have one spare jam jar (never made R.C. Jam before though?) any ideas for my freezer? / would the jam taste alright on toast? (stupid question i know)

Thanks xx
    Muddling through debt but can't see any light at the end of the tunnel??!! :confused:
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi Little_Belle,

They are lovely mixed with raspberries in a pie or crumble and great added to fruit salads at this time of year. I had redcurrant sorbet once and it was delicious.

There are a couple of ideas on this thread:

Redcurrants Galore!

I'll add your thread to that one later to keep the replies together.

Pink
  • ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just wondering if anyone else has any redcurrant ideas as I too have a glut of them in my garden.
    Also, can I just freeze them as they are until I think of something?
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • Dazi
    Dazi Posts: 1,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I can remember in the dark ages, when I was about 7, my dad used to cook them and seive them and then we had the juice on our cornflakes instead of milk. Sounds yuk, but when I was 7 this was a real treat:rotfl:I would imagine this was due to the large amount of sugar he put in. :eek:
    whoever said laughter was the best medicine has clearly never tasted wine

Stopped smoking 20:30 28/09/11 :D
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    If any of you has spare fruit growing in their garden and genuinely too much of it and don't know what to do, why not put it on Freecycle or give to a neighbour? I would sure appreciate an offer of free produce, I know my neighbours love it when I share my spare veg from my garden.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    ragz wrote: »
    Also, can I just freeze them as they are until I think of something?
    Absolutely. They freeze really well ;) I always have bags of currants and other berries in my freezer waiting for inspiration.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Adding about 10% by weight to raspberries when making jam, means that the jam will keep its bright red colour, rather than going darker :j It's to do with the acid in the currants ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family