Aldi prices creeping up

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    After the Brexit referendum outcome, and the resulting fall in the value of the £, grocery prices are rising fast in all supermarkets.

My own experience suggests, though, that Aldi and Lidl are still undercutting the major supermarkets by around 30% - though that depends very much on what you buy.

It's not the case with the branded goods that Aldi and Lidl now also sell, but it never was. There's little point in shopping at Aldi and Lidl if you're going to buy brands, which are always going to be overpriced by comparison with the own-label products.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You choose where to shop, if there's no advantage, shop elsewhere. You don't have to put up with anything !

If i compare my full weekly shop Aldi/Tesco i still save about £30. It's a no brainer for me. If you only buy a few things it might not be worth it. I prefer the range and quality at Aldi to anywhere else.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 18 May 2017 at 8:48AM
    Doc_N wrote: »
    After the Brexit referendum outcome, and the resulting fall in the value of the £, grocery prices are rising fast in all supermarkets.
    Well yes, that's what I assumed (as I quoted in my opening post) which is why I did the comparison shop online.
    Doc_N wrote: »
    My own experience suggests, though, that Aldi and Lidl are still undercutting the major supermarkets by around 30% - though that depends very much on what you buy.
    meer53 wrote: »
    You choose where to shop, if there's no advantage, shop elsewhere. You don't have to put up with anything !

If i compare my full weekly shop Aldi/Tesco i still save about £30. It's a no brainer for me. If you only buy a few things it might not be worth it. I prefer the range and quality at Aldi to anywhere else.
    maman wrote: »

I tried your experiment with my shopping list from Aldi last week. I went for own brand wherever possible. This is how it worked out for me:

Asda £51.35
    Tesco: £51.68
    Aldi: £37.22!!

So it's still very worthwhile for me shopping at Aldi.

Many thanks to you all - that's exactly why I started this thread as I used to save around 1/3rd compared to Tesco but I wanted to find out what others have actually found rather than perceive. Admittedly, my comparison shop was only the basics that we get every week so I'll compare the next couple of shops and post them on here, maybe even itemising so you can see what I'm comparing!!

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong and I'll continue to shop where the best value for money is :o
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I routinely visit a Sainsbury's on the same day as I shop at Aldi. I go there to top up with products that Aldi doesn't sell and because it has a halfway decent cafe. I wander around Sainsbury's aisles amazed by how much more they charge for either identical or inferior products. It leaves me in absolutely no doubt that I'm saving at least 30 per cent by sticking with Aldi.

Less often I shop at Waitrose. Even they manage to beat Sainsbury's on the items I buy. On the rare occasion I steel myself to use Tesco, they work our cheaper than Sainsbury's or Waitrose but still a lot more than Aldi.

On the question of inflation, unless people are resorting to the usual politician's trick of setting an advantageous comparison point, the currency shift alone does not account for the current level of food price inflation, not least because of the transport cost component. As has been exposed by umpteen newspaper articles, some companies are simply using this as an excuse to raise prices - something they have been desperate to do following several years of stagnation and even in some cases deflation. In short, they are taking advantage of the situation and grasping the excuse to cash in.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    For once A. Badger I totally agree with what you say.

I just wish other people would see how companies "economics' work. They are not your friend. All they are after is the money in your pocket to line thiers. Any company will make an excuse to raise prces.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • robin58 wrote: »
    FThey are not your friend. All they are after is the money in your pocket to line thiers..

That's the job of the supermarkets - to take our money. Our job as savvy customers is not to bloody let them!
    Wyrd bid ful aread
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    That's the job of the supermarkets - to take our money. Our job as savvy customers is not to bloody let them!

I don't. If you read A. Badgers post, that's how I shop.

But it just not supermarkets, it's evey company you will ever buy from in your life. They will dip in your pocket given half the chance.

I used to joke at work that a company is never happy in giving back change from you purchase. It's when they turn you upside to try and shake out and grab the change they just given you, is when we have a problem.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    kathrynha wrote: »
    I think part of that is down to the big supermarkets trying to win back customers, so making their products cheaper.
    If only....
  • robin58 wrote: »
    I don't. If you read A. Badgers post, that's how I shop.

But it just not supermarkets, it's evey company you will ever buy from in your life. They will dip in your pocket given half the chance.

I used to joke at work that a company is never happy in giving back change from you purchase. It's when they turn you upside to try and shake out and grab the change they just given you, is when we have a problem.

I do the very same. I'm lucky enough to live within 2 minutes of an Aldi and a 5 minute drive to a Lidl as well as all other major supermarkets. I spend the vast majority of my silver now in Aldi though as I can't get that sort of quality for less elsewhere.

You're spot on about every company dipping your pocket - I like to play consumerism as a game (now that I've seen the light) and I take great pleasure at giving the blighters the least amount possible.

Fate is everything
    Wyrd bid ful aread
  • robrymond
    robrymond Posts: 700 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I noticed prices rising in the past month or so at Aldi. A lot of prices simply raised to what I call the 'pre-deflation' price when the supermarkets crunched prices in late 2015 and early 2016.

However anything that involves diary has shot up in price again despite wholesale milk prices not rising too much. Butter is now not far off branded prices.

Meat seems to be rising slowly too especially beef and pork. Pork has gone from £2.99kg to £3.59 in a few weeks and Brisket Beef joints are now a £1 more per kg.

Luckily chickens and minced beef seem to have stayed low at the moment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure