PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

About to rent my property, barking dog issue.

Comments

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    As an interim solution to let you get some rest, I can recommend a white noise machine. This one works for me.
  • I also think that comment re mother was totally unwarranted and more than a little harsh.

The only possible connection is that (adult) children often have some of the same values as their parent. Thus - my mother expects her home to be quiet, well-maintained, not to be a nuisance herself to neighbours and I've grown up with that and expect exactly the same = quiet, maintain my home well and expect neighbours to do the same, not a bother to neighbours and expect them not to be a bother to me. The only difference is she puts up with any bad neighbours (or swops house! - which she's done before) and I deal with bad neighbours.

Nothing wrong with the same values - as long as they are reasonable values - as these obviously are.

OP's neighbour, on the other hand, has quite possibly been brought up by someone who thinks its okay to be noisy/probably neglects their house/etc/etc.
  • PhilE
    PhilE Posts: 566 Forumite
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    Your mum has a problem with neighbours. You have a problem with neighbours. Makes one wonder just who is really the problem.

Sounds like you have a problem.
  • PhilE
    You could find the tenant took the same view as most people would though and promptly decided "Thanks very much - not - landlord and here's my notice".

My sympathies OP and hope you manage to resolve it. I get annoyed enough that I've got a similar "antisocial" near me and their dog just barks intermittently and has continued to be allowed to do so (despite my pointing out to them that quite a few houses nearby can hear this besides myself). So very frustrating - even if the barking is infrequent enough that I just resort to saying "Chav" or the like rather loudly in my garden when they let it start up again.

Thats what I would do also. Living next to a barking dog is misery.

As posters have suggested here, yes I could go the council route and there's a possibility it'll get solved. However, as soon as you start complaining to the council, there's a possibility the value of your property could take a nose dive.

Which is probably why a good many people don't make complaints.

I'll definitely do an informal letter, which is something I wouldn't have to declare should I sell. However, I'd still have to declare the barking dog.

I find it injust that not only can a barking dog make your life miserable, it can cause you a loss of thousands of pounds if you take action against it.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,041 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Is the dog a new arrival and therefore all noises are new to it and it is barking.

If it was there when you bought the house how did you not hear it barking all day and evening. It as bound to be barking when you viewed the house.
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    If you are able to reduce the rent compared to other houses in the area, I don't think you'll have problems getting a tenant. A lot of people are desperate for affordable rentals. If the price is right, they may well put up with this barking dog issue. You can still go through the complaint process with environmental health on their behalf.

I think anyone who judges you about this hasn't had to put up with barking dogs for long. My neighbours have a dog, a big giant breed who shouts out a few deep woofs whenever someone approaches the house. That's what I would call 'normal' dog noise, and I appreciate his warning. Very different from incessant shrill barking for hours on end. That's simply intolerable.

It makes me think of that movie 'Keeping Mum'. Obviously I in no way condone what happened there, and it is meant as a joke in the movie, but I can't help having a certain amount of understanding over it. This really can drive people crazy after a while, especially if the authorities aren't much help.
  • PhilE
    I also think that comment re mother was totally unwarranted and more than a little harsh.

The only possible connection is that (adult) children often have some of the same values as their parent. Thus - my mother expects her home to be quiet, well-maintained, not to be a nuisance herself to neighbours and I've grown up with that and expect exactly the same = quiet, maintain my home well and expect neighbours to do the same, not a bother to neighbours and expect them not to be a bother to me. The only difference is she puts up with any bad neighbours (or swops house! - which she's done before) and I deal with bad neighbours.

Nothing wrong with the same values - as long as they are reasonable values - as these obviously are.

OP's neighbour, on the other hand, has quite possibly been brought up by someone who thinks its okay to be noisy/probably neglects their house/etc/etc.

Yes, I was also brought up to be respectable to the neighbors and keep my home in good repair. It's common sense really.

Some neighbors think thats its ok to be inconsiderate and rude to others. There are laws for this, but its sometimes hard to implement and should you wish to sell at a later date, as I do, you have to declare the problems.

Saying that, I've seen houses that have been burgled during the buying process still sell. I remember one house I went to view, it a dog next door the size of a small horse that barked as soon as you went into the garden. It was the sort of deep bass bark that reverberated through walls. I thanked the agent and left, he completely understood. The house was under offer a week later and sold for its asking price, which was market value.
    So some people are not bothered by dogs barking.

The other neighbors haven't voiced any complaints to me, nor I to them. I've met most of the neighbors, they seem fine. There's no loud music, parties or anything. Just this one dog.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    PhilE wrote: »

As posters have suggested here, yes I could go the council route and there's a possibility it'll get solved. However, as soon as you start complaining to the council, there's a possibility the value of your property could take a nose dive.

I'll definitely do an informal letter, .

I have doubts that a letter to the owner will make much difference. Why should it? The owner either doesn't care about the nuisance they're responsible for, or they're weak willed, unintelligent and not able to change the situation without a strong incentive, like the possibility of prosecution.
  • PhilE
    edited 9 July 2017 at 2:21PM
    Davesnave wrote: »
    I have doubts that a letter to the owner will make much difference. Why should it? The owner either doesn't care about the nuisance they're responsible for, or they're weak willed, unintelligent and not able to change the situation without a strong incentive, like the possibility of prosecution.

If they cared for their neighbors, they wouldn't have allowed the barking in the first place. There's 2 other houses on the street with dogs. One is to the other side of me. I'll hear the dog barking once every couple of days for a few minutes. and thats it.
    The other 'dog house,' is a couple of doors down and I've never once heard their dogs.

I knocked at 11.20pm the other night and pointed out her dog was keeping me awake. Her response was 'Ok then.'

With what I've been going through with both my mums property and my own, I'm at the end of my tether. If I am going to inform the council, it would be good to see that they have some sort of proof that I have attempted to be a kind and reasonable neighbor, hence a polite but to the point letter.

Could anyone comment on the effect on property value of a barking dog, or having had to go to the council to complain of one?
  • gld73
    gld73 Posts: 250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If I viewed a house to rent or buy and there was a dog barking all the time, it would rule out the property for me. Much as I like dogs, I work shifts and sleeping during the day is hard enough as it is without noise like that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure