PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

landlord bashing

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    FBaby wrote: »
    Not really business minded then!

Running a successful and prolific business means being ruthless. The only reason you would be 'nice' to a customer is purely on the basis of you gaining something from their business. If you can keep the custom by spending less on the merchandise, that's what you do. If you think that you can attract a better customer, you dump your current one.

You can't critisize LLs for not running their business in such productively minded ways, and then critisize those who do and are considered greedy rather than productive.
    <scratches head>
    Cutting your losses is often a very good idea. Crystallise the loss that you've already taken on paper, and reduce the risk of it becoming worse.
  • Tiners
    Tiners Posts: 232 Forumite
    Guest101 wrote: »
    That's not how it works, so I assume that's just an opinion?....

Oh you tease! Fancy telling me I'm wrong then failing to qualify your claim.

Please do tell me how the statement 'BTL creates it's own demand' is factually inaccurate'... especially in the current market where buyer demand far exceeds seller supply.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    Social housing usually offers solid, well maintained houses at affordable rents. The only reason people don't want to live in them anymore is that there are so few and the demand so high that they tend to go to the neediest and most poverty stricken people in the country, leading to an increased level of social problems and also a fair amount of stigma.

If that wasn't the case, if all rented housing was social housing, why on earth wouldn't people want it? Why would anybody choose the extra cost, the gamble regarding landlord competency, and reduced security of private?

It was in an area of the North West where there isn't a shortage council homes but the tenants didn't like the area they were living in because of the crime and they wanted their children to go to a school that wasn't full of the children of criminals so they moved out of the council house and into an area of lower crime.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    AdrianC wrote: »
    <scratches head>
    Cutting your losses is often a very good idea. Crystallise the loss that you've already taken on paper, and reduce the risk of it becoming worse.

I think I'm the one scratching head! The point I've tried to make is that not all LLs are in it to make a profit, ie. run an productive business, many are fine with the prospect of being a LL purely as an investment for the future. This means that it isn't greed that drive them to be LL as we often read about LLs.

The fact that there might be no gain doesn't mean there is a loss either.
  • AdrianC
    The point I've tried to make is that not all LLs are in it to make a profit, ie. run an productive business

Then, frankly, they're bloody idiots. They could be doing FAR more productive things with their time and capital.
    many are fine with the prospect of being a LL purely as an investment for the future.
    Or, in other words, make a profit. Just a totally unpredictable one over the long term, totally outside of their control, rather than a predictable and controllable one in the short-to-medium term.
    This means that it isn't greed that drive them to be LL as we often read about LLs.
    Profit != Greed.
    The fact that there might be no gain doesn't mean there is a loss either.
    Over what timescale?

It's vanishingly unlikely that they will break even, to the penny. So, yes, there will be either a profit or a loss. It may only be a small one...

But if they did break even to the penny, then that's a very strange use of their time. They've also lost money, when inflation's taken into account.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    The fact that you're in denial about reality doesn't mean it isn't reality.

I am well aware that we currently do not have a system that rewards hard work.

Guest101 claimed he wanted one, then made it clear that he didn't really.

You, for some reason, decided to lecture me about the current state of affairs, which wasn't in any way what I was talking about.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Then, frankly, they're bloody idiots. They could be doing FAR more productive things with their time and capital.

Who are you to decide what is best for others. You sound very judgmental and it begs the question as to why? Once again, not everyone make decisions on the basis of productivity.
    Or, in other words, make a profit. Just a totally unpredictable one over the long term, totally outside of their control, rather than a predictable and controllable one in the short-to-medium term.
    Are all those paying into a pension scheme doing so to make a profit? All investments are unpredictable to a degree, property is considered the least so, especially for those who bought some years ago.
    Profit != Greed
    That simple equation is getting a bit too philosophical or even political for me to get into it. You could extend this to anyone who owns something and sell at a profit, be it a house, a car, anything on ebay...
    But if they did break even to the penny, then that's a very strange use of their time. They've also lost money, when inflation's taken into account.
    Who is to decide how people should best use their time? Maybe some LLs enjoy running their business, even if it doesn't earn them anything and they somehow believe that they will benefit in the future. Who is to tell them they are wrong to do so?
  • AdrianC
    I am well aware that we currently do not have a system that rewards hard work.

Guest101 claimed he wanted one, then made it clear that he didn't really.

You, for some reason, decided to lecture me about the current state of affairs, which wasn't in any way what I was talking about.
    No, I reminded you of basic truisms which will never change. They have never changed, since mankind moved on from battering each other around the head with bones and started bartering instead. They will never change, however much you'd like them to.
  • AdrianC
    Are all those paying into a pension scheme doing so to make a profit?

Yes. They're doing so to improve their profit, through tax avoidance. That's what a pension IS.

The ONLY investment that isn't for-profit is sticking your cash under a mattress. Even putting it into a savings account instead of your 0% interest current account is a decision taken to maximise profit.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    No, I reminded you of basic truisms which will never change. They have never changed, since mankind moved on from battering each other around the head with bones and started bartering instead. They will never change, however much you'd like them to.

Hey I'm not the one who said they wanted them to change (I do, but I didn't say it) that was Guest101. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure