Renovations and Repayments.

Comments

• AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ourcornercottage: It has taken me days to be able to respond to this before realising you probably haven't read my debt thread. Anyway, my wife is not going to be taking financial responsibility for the household, nor are my parents. I do not have a problem paying the bills, whilst I have not been wise with money in the past, that is in the past. In the past year or so, I have bought absolutely nothing for myself, paid my debt and started to save. Perhaps it's too little too late but better than refusing to admit I had a problem and doing nothing about it.

In regard to the business I do draw a small monthly salary, sorry if I'd given the wrong impression about that but the majority is reinvested.

I will agree I do need to keep looking forward, whilst I may be a loser to everybody else, I'm not in the eyes of my son and that is enough of a reason for me to carry on.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • Well done you. Never in a month of Sunday's would that happen in my household. You should just feel proud of yourself. My BF is self confessed rubbish with money but admits it's an issue and is happy for me to look after things. Goodness knows what would happen if I didnt, we would have absolutely nothing.

How are the windowns coming on?
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,924 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hi Alex , just wanted to pop in and say welcome , congratulations on becoming debt free :T I've cleared a similar amount over the last few years (and have reborrowed some to do work on the house!) Its not easy is it :)

I have to be nosey though, what classic cars do you have if you don't mind me asking?
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I don't think anybody thinks you're a loser Alex, that's the black dog talking.

I think you're a very interesting chap with several strings to his bow (baboom!) (even if you are an arch-Conservative) :rotfl:

What's on the agenda for today? Looks like a good one to continue in the garden if the weather darn sarf is anything like Scotland :)
  • Mara_uk7
    Mara_uk7 Posts: 1,219 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Hey Alex ! Good to see you posting again .. Kinda missed you over on the "other" thread. Sun is cracking the pavements here, Lambs gambolling in the fields ... its an open top kinda day ! Glad to hear you are cracking at with the house renovations, can you infect my hubby with some enthusiasm please ?
    Its just a bad day, Not a bad life .. :cool:
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 18 April 2015 at 12:40AM
    Well done you. Never in a month of Sunday's would that happen in my household. You should just feel proud of yourself. My BF is self confessed rubbish with money but admits it's an issue and is happy for me to look after things. Goodness knows what would happen if I didnt, we would have absolutely nothing.

How are the windowns coming on?

I am pleased with how I've managed to turn my dealings with my finances around. :)

No progress on the windows but the front garden is beginning to look nice for the first time ever, in fact I used to be too ashamed to call it a garden! However, it seems this year I've started to become that sad old man, always watering the plants or mowing the lawn. :rotfl: Unfortunately, I can't say it's been cheap to sort it out and there's still a few things to buy yet but I have avoided the expensive garden centres and nurseries by choosing to grow my own.
    newgirly wrote: »
    Hi Alex , just wanted to pop in and say welcome , congratulations on becoming debt free :T I've cleared a similar amount over the last few years (and have reborrowed some to do work on the house!) Its not easy is it :)

I have to be nosey though, what classic cars do you have if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you. :) No, it's not easy. I think it's changing the spending mindset which is the most difficult part as there are so many things I often wish to buy but know wouldn't be the best idea in reality.

Nice to see someone else on here with some appreciation for the cars. :D I have a Triumph GT6, Triumph TR7 V8, MGB project, BMW Z3 2.8i and I suppose the Landy is almost at that age now, too. :)
    I don't think anybody thinks you're a loser Alex, that's the black dog talking.

I think you're a very interesting chap with several strings to his bow (baboom!) (even if you are an arch-Conservative) :rotfl:

What's on the agenda for today? Looks like a good one to continue in the garden if the weather darn sarf is anything like Scotland :)

Thank you. :o

You're guilty for me beginning to read about investments after you posted a blog on your diary. I'm now considering whether I could invest the profits of the things I buy to sell and make further gains from what is "free" money. Perhaps, I could beat the mortgage interest without actually paying off the mortgage, if that makes sense?

Today has indeed been a garden day between a bit of work and going out in the car.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Mara_uk7 wrote: »
    Hey Alex ! Good to see you posting again .. Kinda missed you over on the "other" thread. Sun is cracking the pavements here, Lambs gambolling in the fields ... its an open top kinda day ! Glad to hear you are cracking at with the house renovations, can you infect my hubby with some enthusiasm please ?

Thank you and I've missed you too, dear.

It's been nice here too for the past couple of weeks. :) I'm actually beginning to rather warm to this place since starting to sort it out.

Not sure enthusiasm is contagious, unfortunately, Mara! Mind, I suppose I ought to go to bed (they all seem to be early to bed on MFW, no wonder there's so many expectant parents on here) before I've no enthusiasm tomorrow.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Perhaps, I could beat the mortgage interest without actually paying off the mortgage, if that makes sense?

Yes, that sounds perfectly achievable with a balanced portfolio in the current low interest environment, shouldn't be too hard :)
    Mind, I suppose I ought to go to bed (they all seem to be early to bed on MFW, no wonder there's so many expectant parents on here) before I've no enthusiasm tomorrow.

One of the 'joys' of regular Mon-Fri office jobs is that they often force you to compress everything into the weekend. Saturday morning becomes a blur of housework, grocery shopping etc. Luckily I made my way through 4 (non-alcoholic) beers last night, so it's not an actual blur :D

I imagine you have a bit more flexibility, beyond the obvious time bound things like making sure your son gets to school on time?
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Nice to see someone else on here with some appreciation for the cars. :D I have a Triumph GT6, Triumph TR7 V8, MGB project, BMW Z3 2.8i and I suppose the Landy is almost at that age now, too. :)
    What colour is the TR7? (say it's blue, say it's blue, say it's blue :smileyhea). Unlike you Alex I remember them when they were new :rotfl:. No Stag?
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Sa1sysoo
    Sa1sysoo Posts: 297 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ok, I've got to step out from lurking.
    Gallygirl, I could kiss you for asking about the Stag! :kisses3: I grew up with my Dad's Triumph Stag (Racing Green), but it sadly went to seed after he passed away.
    It's one of my greatest wishes to get one! :happyhear
    OH OD - £100.00/£100.00 Joint OD - £100.00/£100.00StepChange: £10,057.67
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family