Can you start rebuilding your credit file even though I'm not discharged?

Just wondered if anyone has started or if it's even possible to start rebuilding the credit file whilst still under bankruptcy and not discharged?

I'm due to be discharged in November, now I have a few shopping accounts with a few sites these are cash accounts I pay when I order, but I recently opened an account with jacamo and was given £125 credit, i understand it's under the £500 credit limit rule of bankruptcy but if I may payments in full this obviously look good on my credit file eventually.(long process I know!)

Is there any other methods which could help?

Also I am not going crazy with the limit, I've only ordered a t-shirt and paid in full a week later

Comments

• Jono987
    Jono987 Posts: 185
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Not fully sure on this but it may look worse for potential lenders? Bankrupt less than a year and getting things on credit? Seems crazy to me
  • Anything you do credit file wise is damage limitation really as the bankruptcy marker will still show for 6yrs to potential lenders anyhoo.....best to wait till discharge *a month or so after" THEN follow the file clean up sticky at the top of this board, that will help if you have things then need addressing errors etc......meanwhile small things like home shopping sim only mobile etc will help a little but as I said mainly damage limitation till your bankruptcy drops off your files in 6yrs
    Not quite a newbie as you think ;);) (the member formally known as philnicandamy!)

FINALLY a qualified CAB debt caseworker 2015..:p
    BSC 58 :D
  • Follow the credit rebuild sticky and start trying to get your debts on file changed to settled, I also took out a high interest credit card and have been using that but paying off straight away, it helped at first and my credit rating went up but has been the same for 3 months now
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Rebuilding credit is not particularly effective at this stage. The key thing you need to do now is manage your financial affairs perfectly - no late payments on essentials like your utility bills, no bounced DD's with your bank, no rash spending that leaves you short - BR is first day of the rest of your financial life. This is something you need to do and keep doing forever really - but at least until your BR drops of your credit record in 6 years.

After you are discharged - leave it a couple of months then follow the instructions on the cleanup post at the top of the forum board.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure