Heating oil for Aga - Confused novice

I've just moved into a house that has an oil-fired Aga and need to buy some oil for it. I'm finding the range of options for oil very confusing. There seems to be:

- Standard Kerosene
- Premium Kerosene
- Glowmax (Seems to be specific to one manufacturer).

Also seems that you can buy several different types of additive to make the oil work better with Agas - although none of them state whether you should add the additive to Standard or Premium Kerosene.

Can anybody advise on which Kerosene I should buy, and which additive (if any) they recommend. I just want to keep the thing working at a reasonable price.

Many thanks!

Comments

• J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,408
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Well, if you want the MSE choice, then just simple standard kero will be just fine without any additives.

We don't use oil, but live quite rurally so know plenty who do and have never heard of posh kero or any additives to go in it.

Maybe your plumber could advice properly - has the aga been checked/tested before you moved in?
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,586
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    You could ask AGA - they should know what's best for their product.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Advice might be different if its a converted Aga or one built for oil from the start. Some use pressurised burners and others don't.

With our converted, gravity-fed 1950/60s Aga, we burned ordinary kerosene and had no issues at all.

However, it was an inefficient way to heat the house and water, so we sold it after 6 years.
  • Thanks for the advice. It would seem that it varies from aga to aga and supplier to supplier. I've found a supplier that is confident that their "standard" kerosene will work with agas. They'll happily charge me extra if I'd like some additive put in but they say it'll be fine without.
  • FabFifty
    FabFifty Posts: 146
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Save further money by joining a local heating oil syndicate.
  • In case anybody comes across this thread and has a similar question, I went with standard kerosene and am now in the second year of using it without any trouble whatsoever.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure