Husky heat pumps - has any one else had issues

Options

Comments

• BarnBrian
    Options
    We have two Husky heat pumps, one of which stopped working about two weeks ago and now the second one has also stopped working. Numerous phone calls to husky have been made over the last two weeks but have yet to get any response. Promises of them returning the calls just haven't happened.
    Would I recommend Husky? Never in a million years is the polite answer.
    I would love to be able to find a reputable installer/service company in Lancashire, does anyone have any recommendations.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just to upset you.

I've got a Daikin Altherma ASHP and had a minor problem with the auto-vent valve at the top of the heating unit. Phoned my installer (Cambridgeshire) at around 11am - he was there and had fitted the spare part by 2pm.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • manxklookie
    manxklookie Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 8 December 2016 at 3:37PM
    Options
    I had a Husky heat pump installed in June 2012 and before I signed the contract I wanted reassurance that Husky would set up a local support agent in the Isle of Man as my installation was one of the first. SOme 4 years later there is still no support agent in the Isle of Man with a supply of spares and knowledge of how to repair the heat pump. Husky keep saying to use a local electrician but that is no good because he won't have the correct spares in stock so there are always delays in getting repairs done.

Following installation there were numerous system noise issues related to poor routing of copper pipework and the pipework generally was very poor. They eventually sorted out the pipework but the system regularly failed in the first year due to a faulty sensor in the heat pump itself. In July this year, the heat pump packed up completely and it was only a week later that the part arrived from Husky after a whole load of excuses around how my emails got missed, how messages did not get passed on, how the parts were not in stock etc etc. The General Manager eventually apologised profusely and promised that in future I should also email and phone him if any issues and he would keep an eye on progress. The unit failed again last Friday with a different faulty component and despite phoning and emailing I could not get hold of the General Manager...still no response from him. There was no note on my account about having free parts for an extra 2 years so I had a real issue persuading the customer services guy that I did not need to pay for the parts. Parts arrived the following day and fitted and system working again. Packed up again on Tuesday evening this week and initial advice proved useless but I managed to get it working by resetting the RCD myself. Sent off another email asking for more information and explanations but no response yet.

There have now been 3 total system outages in the last 5 months...not impressed.

My biggest concern is that if this unit fails on Christmas Eve, it will be a number of days before Husky can get the parts to me in the Isle of Man and Christmas will be ruined for my family. Husky do not seem to appreciate the inconvenience of having no heating at this time of year.

The 24hrs support line is a joke because they only ever seem to respond during their normal office hours. Exactly what the purpose of the 24hr number is I don't know and have asked for an explanation. Seriously thinking about switching back to a system that can be supported locally and is more reliable.
  • Preseli_Girl
    Options
    We were persuaded by Husky to have a16kW air source heat pump installed last year. Their survey showed we would benefit from a heat pump, i.e., they guaranteed we would save money on heating bills and our home would be warmer over a longer duration than when using the oil boiler. The heat loss report was calculated at 10kWh for our old detached house which has large single glazed sash windows, open chimneys, solid stone construction, built on the earth and the only insulation is in the loft. Apart from appalling workmanship, after the installation, we experienced several issues such as the formation of black spot mould on curtains and in the middle of walls, which we had never had before. The house hasn't been warm unless we light the wood burning stove which we have had to do almost daily since last summer. The latest shock was the electricity bill which has risen to an unaffordable £839 for the last quarter. Monthly payments will now cost £475 for the predicted usage and to catch up from the summer months which are also around the same figures. Even with the RHI, we are faced with an annual increase of £1,719 compared to the oil which used to cost us around £880 per year. When you ring Husky, it's almost impossible to get to speak to someone who can help, let alone get an engineer to come and check everything is working properly. I have had my electricity provider NPower check everything over, and in fact, they have been super helpful and sympathetic in all of this. Husky says their meter reading shows a less than average use for this time of year and it must be the fact that I use a tumble drier a lot... I knew in the first couple of weeks that we had made a very costly mistake, but we were advised that there would be a period of adjustment and that we should let things settle down...
  • Husky_Heat_Pumps
    Husky_Heat_Pumps Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 24 February 2017 at 5:09PM
    Options
    We were persuaded by Husky to have a16kW air source heat pump installed last year. Their survey showed we would benefit from a heat pump, i.e., they guaranteed we would save money on heating bills and our home would be warmer over a longer duration than when using the oil boiler. The heat loss report was calculated at 10kWh for our old detached house which has large single glazed sash windows, open chimneys, solid stone construction, built on the earth and the only insulation is in the loft. Apart from appalling workmanship, after the installation, we experienced several issues such as the formation of black spot mould on curtains and in the middle of walls, which we had never had before. The house hasn't been warm unless we light the wood burning stove which we have had to do almost daily since last summer. The latest shock was the electricity bill which has risen to an unaffordable £839 for the last quarter. Monthly payments will now cost £475 for the predicted usage and to catch up from the summer months which are also around the same figures. Even with the RHI, we are faced with an annual increase of £1,719 compared to the oil which used to cost us around £880 per year. When you ring Husky, it's almost impossible to get to speak to someone who can help, let alone get an engineer to come and check everything is working properly. I have had my electricity provider NPower check everything over, and in fact, they have been super helpful and sympathetic in all of this. Husky says their meter reading shows a less than average use for this time of year and it must be the fact that I use a tumble drier a lot... I knew in the first couple of weeks that we had made a very costly mistake, but we were advised that there would be a period of adjustment and that we should let things settle down...

Thankyou for you feedback. At Husky Heat Pumps our customers satisfaction is our priority and we are committed to ensuring that our service and products exceed the standards that our customers expect. We are continually working to improve our service and can assure you that we are already investigating the issues you have raised.

We value the relationship we have with each of our customers and maintaining this is paramount to us.

Thank you
    Husky Heat Pumps Ltd.
  • Lidi
    Lidi Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    We had this system installed including radiators and heat pumps x 2 last year. It has been a nightmare from start to finish. The workmanship of radiator etc installation was appalling , we are not getting the RHI they told us that we would, and the system has broken down more time than i can count, including about every 10 days over winter. When it works it seems to be fine, but unfortunately it has not worked more than it has worked. The 24hr helpline, as others have said, is not actually a 24hr helping, you just pay a premium rate to leave your name and number and someone gets back to you the next working day: well you may as well just ring yourself the next morning. Getting help and and engineer was absolutely terrible last year but seems to be a bit better lately (yes we are still needing visits).
    I would absolutely NOT recommend this company. I really want a green efficient system, but this company are NOT the ones to have supply it sadly.
  • Lidi
    Lidi Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    I've just posted about Husky, but forgot to mention- One thing that wasn't clear was the servicing charge: you have to get it serviced to keep the warranty (which, believe me, you'll want to keep), but unlike having a regular system serviced which might cost £75, it cost us nearly £300. It takes the edge off the RHI etc i can tell you.
  • Pee'd_off
    Pee'd_off Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 11 December 2017 at 9:10PM
    Options
    Wish we had seen this post before we coughed out on a HUSKY HEAT PUMP
    From the start the unit has been a disappointment, as previous contributions state. It has been difficult to near impossible to contact them and get a positive proactive response,the phrase Customer service is not in their vocabulary. Grab your money and run does. £250 for an annual service plan, they are joking! We've upgraded our radiators, insulation etc to comply with specifications and requirements of their survey. The system works (sort of) but as with other's is consuming double to over 3 times of electricity to that promised in the survey.

Trying to do right for the environment and you get kicked in the teeth. Try to buy British and support our home industry and you get kicked in the teeth.
    Well this customer bites back.

We have all our correspondence in writing and know that HUSKY record all their calls.
    We've set Husky a deadline to resolve all our issues . After that date we will commence proceedings via HIES.

Well we are now being promised a resolution, with 12 inches plus of lying snow, I do hope so. 40Kwh/day ain't cheaper!!! when you had originally been quoted 12 - 14. Our new woodburner can't come a moment to soon.
  • Preseli_Girl
    Options
    Don't delay in getting the ball rolling with HIES. It took us 6 months of contacting all the consumer bodies including the Credit Card Claims under Section 75, until I contacted HIES, then it took them another 9 months. During that time we have paid over £4,000 for our electricity because of the heat pump. Like you, we thought we would go sustainable, support British etc, so we upgraded radiators etc., but the house was cold and Husky kept saying that the system was spot on for us!

At the end of September, by which time the pump was breaking down regularly, Husky were made to refund the cost of installing the system and the radiators. Unfortunately we were not compensated for the difference in energy costs or damage to the house. On 2 October 2017, they came to remove the system.

The whole process was stressful and extremely time consuming doing research and learning all the legal terms and rights. Had I been in full time employment or had a young family, I would not have had the time to sort it out. Which brings me to another issue which may not be relevant in this thread... how come all these consumer bodies and codes exist to support the consumer but seem unable to act when you need them? Including the consumer rights act itself? How does a normal Joe Bloggs exercise those rights without spending a fortune in court? The irony of my story is that the one consumer code which had no obligation to help me, because Husky were a member of RECC when my installation took place, took on my case and got a result. That was HIES. Amazing support and I can't thank them enough.
  • Preseli_Girl
    Options
    From the start the unit has been a disappointment... It has been difficult to near impossible to contact them and get a positive proactive response,the phrase Customer service is not in their vocabulary. Grab your money and run does.

1. Husky took the deposit out of my account BEFORE I had received the contract to sign. That was 8 days before I signed the contract. (They already had my bank details because I paid them £100 for the survey.)

2. It was pointed out to me later that the room sizes the surveyor had keyed in were inaccurate which may have been how they came up with calculations showing a low (fake) Heat Loss figure. These calculations showed I would save money and be warm.

3. The commissioning certificate, which I found slotted inside the handover pack, was signed off 26 May 2016. The Husky installation team did not arrive on site until 28 June- the pump was commissioned on 1 July 2016.

4. The figures for current heating costs in the tables I was given by Husky, were inaccurate. Again this served to show a greater inflation of the savings over a period of 15 years.

5. Husky 'installed' two 200 litre water tanks in my loft. They unscrewed my own loft boards which they used to support the tanks. Because the weight was not properly distributed, my ceiling started to sag and I have cracks in the upstairs ceiling because of the weight. They brought a structural surveyor to tell me it was ok and that I should get some Polyfilla.

This is a list of only a few of the problems I encountered. Another good source of help is Helen Dewdney, 'The Complaining Cow'. But the question is, how do they get away with it?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback