PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House not sold yet- advised to reduce. Have I done the right thing?

Options

Comments

• easilydistracted
    Options
    Having looked at both houses your friends looks a lot more spacious. Its partly the lack of sloping ceilings, the lighter rooms and your dark kitchen. I would pay a lot more for hers than yours. Reckon there's probably a 15k difference. Sorry if it's not what you want to hear.
    Saving for a deposit. £5440 of £11000 saved so far:j
  • schooleydoo
    schooleydoo Posts: 26 Forumite
    edited 22 March 2017 at 10:37PM
    Options
    Having looked at both houses your friends looks a lot more spacious. Its partly the lack of sloping ceilings, the lighter rooms and your dark kitchen. I would pay a lot more for hers than yours. Reckon there's probably a 15k difference. Sorry if it's not what you want to hear.

We don't have sloping ceilings?
  • kilby_007
    kilby_007 Posts: 738 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry for the brutal honesty, but bar the tacky blue lights your friends property is worth at least 20K more than yours. Extra bedroom, external garage (rather than integrated), and a more visually appealing frontage which won't be dated in 10 years like the cladding/render on yours. Where did you get the impression that yours should sell for more than your friend? I would be looking to re-market it at 275K and expect offers between 265-270K.
  • schooleydoo
    schooleydoo Posts: 26 Forumite
    edited 16 March 2017 at 9:40PM
    Options
    kilby_007 wrote: »
    Sorry for the brutal honesty, but bar the tacky blue lights your friends property is worth at least 20K more than yours. Extra bedroom, external garage (rather than integrated), and a more visually appealing frontage which won't be dated in 10 years like the cladding/render on yours. Where did you get the impression that yours should sell for more than your friend? I would be looking to re-market it at 275K and expect offers between 265-270K.

Don't apologise, brutal honesty is what I'm here for! I want to know what my house is worth, not what I think it's worth.

£300k came from, as above, previous sale of a house identical to ours, other houses currently for sale in the area, three different estate agent valuations and an independent valuation by a solicitor.

This is what £275k buys you in our area -
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-46729482.html
  • Mrs36
    Mrs36 Posts: 193 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with Kilby_007 actually.

I can't see how diffierent that link you have posted is from yours, other than being on two floors, rather than three which may put some buyers off (families with small children for example, with the kitchen and lounge being on separate floors) and a garage door? Am I missing something?
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Don't apologise, brutal honesty is what I'm here for! I want to know what my house is worth, not what I think it's worth.

£300k came from, as above, previous sale of a house identical to ours, other houses currently for sale in the area, three different estate agent valuations and an independent valuation by a solicitor.

This is what £275k buys you in our area -
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-46729482.html

The road that the £275k one is in is better. The house probably isn't any smaller is just lateral rather than on 3 floors. The problem with Daimler Drive is that there are cars parked everywhere because the houses don't have enough space to park two cars in the garages.
  • schooleydoo
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    The road that the £275k one is in is better. The house probably isn't any smaller is just lateral rather than on 3 floors. The problem with Daimler Drive is that there are cars parked everywhere because the houses don't have enough space to park two cars in the garages.

This is not the problem with Daimler Drive and their road is not better for parking. There are cars parked everywhere along their road as it's on the main entrance to the estate. They have laybys that are free for all and often double parked. They have houses and flats directly opposite them without drives but 2/3 cars to find homes for.

Daimler Drive is not near the main entrance to the estate and is therefore much quieter. It has allocated offroad parking in front of our houses in a designated area, and non allocated parking spaces at the rear of our houses. We have a car in the garage and one on our drive right now. Most on our road don't use the garage as intended but do the drive. We also have a green in front of us, not more houses and flats.

The layout of the £275k house is better, but it is smaller. It has no entrance hall, we have an extra bathroom and every room in our house is the same or bigger Sq M, not including our extra landing, bigger garden and garage that can be used as a utility room. We are on a quieter road, have front and back French doors with balconies on the middle floor and have no houses at the front or the back overlooking us.

To me, with respect, it makes no sense for me to be considering offers at £10k less than theirs.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    Options
    This is not the problem with Daimler Drive and their road is not better for parking. There are cars parked everywhere along their road as it's on the main entrance to the estate. They have laybys that are free for all and often double parked. They have houses and flats directly opposite them without drives but 2/3 cars to find homes for.

Daimler Drive is not near the main entrance to the estate and is therefore much quieter. It has allocated offroad parking in front of our houses in a designated area, and non allocated parking spaces at the rear of our houses. We have a car in the garage and one on our drive right now. Most on our road don't use the garage as intended but do the drive. We also have a green in front of us, not more houses and flats.

The layout of the £275k house is better, but it is smaller. It has no entrance hall, we have an extra bathroom and every room in our house is the same or bigger Sq M, not including our extra landing, bigger garden and garage that can be used as a utility room. We are on a quieter road, have front and back French doors with balconies on the middle floor and have no houses at the front or the back overlooking us.

To me, with respect, it makes no sense for me to be considering offers at £10k less than theirs.

But you haven't had any offers. If you haven't had any offers then it means that no one wants to buy your house. If you want to move you have to find out why no one wants to buy your house. If you don't want to find out why no one wants to buy your house you won't be able to move. Your house is only worth what someone will pay you for it. It is not worth the imaginary number that the estate agents have given you. The estate agents can only make a guess. You will only find out the value when someone pays it.
  • Mickygg
    Mickygg Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OP it's only been a month. Far too early to reduce IMO but it's done now.

Everyone here is saying they would buy the other one for the price over yours. The thing is the other one may have been priced purposely to sell, and it sold v quick.

I defo wouldn't reduce again for a few months, see how it goes. To answer your q on if people say whether it's overpriced after viewing, indeed they do.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    Options
    Mickygg wrote: »
    I defo wouldn't reduce again for a few months, see how it goes. To answer your q on if people say whether it's overpriced after viewing, indeed they do.

But if I read right the OP doesn't have 'a few months' - they're looking to move fairly quickly in which case getting people in though the door is going to be a key driver for sale.

I'm not seeing the alignment between the desire to move quickly and the need to achieve close to £300k
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure