Charged by Hotel for Breakfast but they won't send me a receipt

Comments

• steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    wealdroam wrote: »
    What obligations?
    I suppose the relevant obligation in this situation would be the hotel's obligation under Regulation 13 of the Value Added Tax Regulations 1995 to provide a VAT invoice (see http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1995/2518/regulation/13/made).

This requires them to provide a VAT invoice whenever they supply a taxable service, and breakfast is a taxable service.

I would just keep chasing the hotel by email until they provide the receipt. It shouldn't be difficult for them - just a quick search through their files.

I would chase them by replying to your last email on a daily basis until you get the receipt. Sometimes people need to be prodded and chased to get the outcome you want. It is very bad customer service but that's life.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Claim without the receipt and move on, you are wasting more in time thinking about it than the VAT on even the most costly of breakfasts amounts to.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Has the hotel confirmed the charge was for breakfast? Is it possible that the charge was for an 'adult' film but they don't want to disclose this to their guests employer?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You're assuming it's for breakfasts, it may be for pay per view !!!!!!, and that's why they're reluctant to send a printout!
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If your trying to get the receipt during working hours then the time you spent emailing the hotel and ringing them will have cost the company more money than what they could claim back on tax for a breakfast.
    So if you want to try and save your employer money then the best thing is to just claim it back without the receipt otherwise the cost of your time is just going to be increasing and increasing for the employer!.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Changie wrote: »
    Not quite the point. As I said I can claim without the receipt but that doesn't help the business in the long run with their tax processing and I am obliged to do everything I can to keep the costs down for the business and not just myself.
    I have called them multiple times and sent multiple emails before posting this on the forum. I wouldn't waste my time if it that easy.

My question is there something I can do to force the issue, some forceful terminology or consumer rights process where they must send me a receipt?

I also feel very strongly that companies should be held to account when they don't fulfil their obligations to their customers, if I don't push this with them how many other customers will they be doing this to?
    Forceful terminology ?
    Eventually, " if I don't get the receipt I'll be leaving a bad review on trip adviser"
  • takman wrote: »
    If your trying to get the receipt during working hours then the time you spent emailing the hotel and ringing them will have cost the company more money than what they could claim back on tax for a breakfast.
    So if you want to try and save your employer money then the best thing is to just claim it back without the receipt otherwise the cost of your time is just going to be increasing and increasing for the employer!.

Fair point, there is only so long I should chase it. Which I guess is why I'm giving up the emailling and phoning and wondered if I could try one more time with some code they should be working to or such like. I also think this won't be a one off so would be nice to get it sorted for future issues, we have only just started using the hotel and need to use them more often. Even though its normally paid on a company card we still need the receipt really.
  • Has the hotel confirmed the charge was for breakfast? Is it possible that the charge was for an 'adult' film but they don't want to disclose this to their guests employer?

Hmmmm quite possibly, they haven't no! That would be a can of worms to open up :rotfl:
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Weird post...

1. You are a bit of a nit in that you are claiming back every penny spent, which in fairness is completely fine if that is what your employer allows.

2. You, however, are only "fairly sure" that it was a breakfast charge!

Sorry but you're a bit careless! Were you having a few drinks on company funds (if you say yes it may "open up a can of worms" :) )? Because I can't see how you could only be "fairly sure" about what a particular charge was on YOUR PERSONAL card. Did you get excited in the room (other users have pointed to that possibility) one night?

Something smells really fishy.

Really shocked that you are not confident on what the charge corresponds to, given the company card was unavailable.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    daytona0 wrote: »
    Weird post...

1. You are a bit of a nit in that you are claiming back every penny spent, which in fairness is completely fine if that is what your employer allows.

2. You, however, are only "fairly sure" that it was a breakfast charge!

Sorry but you're a bit careless! Were you having a few drinks on company funds (if you say yes it may "open up a can of worms" :) )? Because I can't see how you could only be "fairly sure" about what a particular charge was on YOUR PERSONAL card. Did you get excited in the room (other users have pointed to that possibility) one night?

Something smells really fishy.

Really shocked that you are not confident on what the charge corresponds to, given the company card was unavailable.

Erm......did you miss this part of the OP's post?
    Changie wrote: »
    So I paid for a a work colleague to stay over night in a local hotel.

OP paid for the colleague to stay there, not himself. That's why he doesn't know if it's for breakfast or a 'late night film'.

Also, why should he not claim his money back? I sure as hell do!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure