Leaving job due to ill health, my benefit entitlements?

Hi I'm having some serious health problems due to medication I took which has resulted in severe insomnia, chronic fatigue and poor concentration among many otyher symptoms.

I can't see a way back to my job, which heightened my stress levels, even in a month or so (been off 5 weeks).

I need to move out of my flat too as I live with a psycho and was wondering if I would be able to get sickness benefit and housing benefit after resiging my job?

Please help I'm desperate.

Comments

• cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    If you are too ill to work (doctor will provide sick notes) then you can claim ESA. If this is your only income you would be entitles to HB too
  • black_paw
    black_paw Posts: 1,791
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    you send in sick notes from doctor for a while until you get benefits, think if you just leave job you get no benefits, best for them to retire you on sickness grounds. sorry not much help
    the truth is out there ... on these pages !!
    <3
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    If you have been signed unfit for work, don't resign, let things take their natural course, you will get SSP to start with for a set period. Then if you are still sick after this period you would then claim incapacity benefit or the new one? ESA - Maybe one of the pros will come along and correct this.

Sometimes companies offer some kind of medical severance pay, that's why i said don't resign.
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Jamla wrote: »
    you send in sick notes from doctor for a while until you get benefits, think if you just leave job you get no benefits, best for them to retire you on sickness grounds. sorry not much help

If someone leaves a job and claims ESA it will not matter that they left their job.

If they claim JSA there could be a sanction of between 2 and 26 weeks.
  • NASA_2
    NASA_2 Posts: 5,571 Forumite
    mazza111 wrote: »
    If you have been signed unfit for work, don't resign, let things take their natural course, you will get SSP to start with for a set period. Then if you are still sick after this period you would then claim incapacity benefit or the new one? ESA - Maybe one of the pros will come along and correct this.

Sometimes companies offer some kind of medical severance pay, that's why i said don't resign.
    ESA can be paid from the day SSP stops being paid:beer:
  • Hi I'm having some serious health problems due to medication I took which has resulted in severe insomnia, chronic fatigue and poor concentration among many otyher symptoms.

I can't see a way back to my job, which heightened my stress levels, even in a month or so (been off 5 weeks).

I need to move out of my flat too as I live with a psycho and was wondering if I would be able to get sickness benefit and housing benefit after resiging my job?

Please help I'm desperate.

I aint medically qualified but it sounds as if stress is your biggest enemy right now. Why don't you change jobs to something less stressful hun? ;)
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport