Butter, what is going on?

Tesco & Sainsbury have withdrawn their 'value' butter, which was around 80p. Cheapest butter in Sainsbury & Tesco now £1.10. That's up 37.5% in a couple of weeks.

One of the strange consequences of these changes is that 'spreadable' has now become cheaper per 100g.

Morrisons was 87p last week, £1.02 this week, with 15p 'going to Farmers', they supposedly have a product at 87p but it is always oos.

Asda claim a 'Smartprice' product at 80p and a regular product at 85p, again nowhere to be seen. (They also have a 500g pack at £1.60 but that has lost its chiller space).

Lidl has gone from 80p to 85p, Aldi is still 80p for slightly salted but the unsalted has moved to 85p, I suspect the salted will follow.

Not really worth stocking up for a 5p saving but for 30p might be worth a thought.

Comments

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,890 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 November 2016 at 1:34PM
    Like all weekly shopping, things seem to be going up regularly unfortunately.

Must admit I never knew that Asda had smart price butter, or that Sainsburys had Basics or that Tesco ever had value butter as I have never seen it to be honest.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Ah well, more reason to visit either Aldi or Lidl then.
    Butter was 85p in Aldi yesterday, and IIRC the same in Lidl when I visited at the weekend.
    Anyone worried about price rises & with space in their freezer can always buy now and freeze it. ;)
  • Ah well, more reason to visit either Aldi or Lidl then.

Yes, lets support are German friends.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes I do not buy butter very often, usually just when baking cakes and I noticed the price rise.

Hope it is going to the farmers.
  • lin473
    lin473 Posts: 553 Forumite
    prices had dropped though - less than a year ago you had to pay 99p for value butter at most places so it is just returning to what it was before

Pity - I had started using butter instead of cooking marg as the price difference had narrowed .
  • I discovered from here many moons ago you can make your own spreadable my mixing butter with oil/milk to make it go further, if you add olive oil and garlic it's the dipping sauce you get with doughballs in Pizza Express :)

We normally get the Aldi 85p stuff anyway, but I have noticed that more value/basics lines are disappearing :( Makes the decision to switch to Aldi easier
    :eek::eek::eek: LBM 11/05/2010 - WE DID IT - DMP of £62000 paid off in 7 years:jDFD April2017
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Yes, lets support are German friends.

I support the money in my purse and I don't give a fig where my butter comes from as long as I can afford it
  • Lin wrote: 'prices had dropped though - less than a year ago you had to pay 99p for value butter at most places so it is just returning to what it was before'

Actually, value butter was 82p this time last year, dropped to 76p around March, back to 80p in June.

Overnight Asda have raised the price of value butter to 89p - but it is still out of stock. Their ordinary butter is now 98p, up 13p from last week.

Current stock in my local Aldi has a best before of 14 Jan, well that's what it says on the case (40 packs) I bought yesterday!
  • Wow hadn't spotted that as we don't buy it every week, thanks for pointing that out will go to Lidl today instead.
  • My two local Lidl's haven't had the cheap butter in since October. Their only choice is the west country butter with salt crystals. That said, my local tesco only currently has lurpak butter. The co-op have their equivalent, but I would rather do without than pay 2 for £3 for the ones in the Co-op!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure