Thought I was starting to get sorted - but illness has set me back

Options
So, after being trapped in a vicious debt circle for some time, I finally thought I was getting back on my feet, and made the first payment of my Debt Payment Programme from last months salary.

However, I've been signed off work for the last week by my GP, other issues which had been getting to me for quite a while, finally had me feeling really low, and I was signed off with stress. At this stage, it's not morphed into depression.

Yesterday, my GP signed me off for a further fortnight, as although no worse, I'm not any better.

Today, I received my salary, and it seems I'm not paid/only get statutory sick pay when off. This loss of salary means that this month, I could, just about, meet my DPP, mobile bill, and car HP etc, but be left with no money for food etc.

The following month will clearly be even worse, as the loss of salary would be double what it is this month, assuming I'm able to go back after these next two weeks.

I really want to avoid ending up with depression and medication, hence the fact I don't want to rush back to work before I'm ready, but I'm starting to feel as if I'll have no choice in the matter, and have to force myself to, out of financial desperation.

I've really no idea where to turn at this moment.

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Does your sick note say "Stress" on it? And is the cause of that stress work related? Apologies - I do have a specific reason for asking.

Depression is not the end of the world, so first off, if that's adding to your current anxiety, let that one go. It's a pain in the tubes, you need to be aware of it, but handled properly, it's *usually) beatable or at least controllable. Medication suits some folk, others choose to go without it - there are no hard "rights and wrongs" or "You musts" - it depends on the person.

A site worth taking a look at re dealing with anxiety and stress is one I've used - I won;t post a link as I can't remember the rules relating to it - but google-search "moodjuice anxiety" - it is a Scottish NHS site and should be the first thing that comes up.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Brightspark87
    Options
    Hi

Firstly, I am sorry that this has all meant that it is getting too much for you and you need to be off work. I know it seems like no light at the end at the end of the tunnel but you will get there.

With regards to this it sound like a DMP. If so you may be able to make 'token' £1 payments to ensure you have sufficient money to feed yourself. You should never go without food or basic lifestyle for non priority debt

Paid off all Catalogues 10.10.2014
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You need to ring whoever has arranged your debt payment programme and explain that your income has reduced and your DPP needs adjusting until you return to work.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

It’s possible to vary DDP instalments if your circumstances change. You should discuss your situation with the DAS administrator, as pmlindyloo says. You need to make sure you have enough money for food and essential living costs and then see how much is left over.

As you may know, the DPP will mean interest is frozen and your creditors can’t use any diligence against you. Hopefully that extra protection will help you to feel less stressed as time goes on.

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • AdviceSought
    Options
    Does your sick note say "Stress" on it? And is the cause of that stress work related? Apologies - I do have a specific reason for asking.

Depression is not the end of the world, so first off, if that's adding to your current anxiety, let that one go. It's a pain in the tubes, you need to be aware of it, but handled properly, it's *usually) beatable or at least controllable. Medication suits some folk, others choose to go without it - there are no hard "rights and wrongs" or "You musts" - it depends on the person.

A site worth taking a look at re dealing with anxiety and stress is one I've used - I won;t post a link as I can't remember the rules relating to it - but google-search "moodjuice anxiety" - it is a Scottish NHS site and should be the first thing that comes up.

Hi, I've had a few things causing me to feel low, I certainly don't think I'm depressed yet, but things like this shock today have certainly worsened my already fragile mental state.

I really don't want to go onto medication other than as a last resort.

The certificate from my GP says "work related stress".

Hi

Firstly, I am sorry that this has all meant that it is getting too much for you and you need to be off work. I know it seems like no light at the end at the end of the tunnel but you will get there.

With regards to this it sound like a DMP. If so you may be able to make 'token' £1 payments to ensure you have sufficient money to feed yourself. You should never go without food or basic lifestyle for non priority debt
    Hi

It’s possible to vary DDP instalments if your circumstances change. You should discuss your situation with the DAS administrator, as pmlindyloo says. You need to make sure you have enough money for food and essential living costs and then see how much is left over.

As you may know, the DPP will mean interest is frozen and your creditors can’t use any diligence against you. Hopefully that extra protection will help you to feel less stressed as time goes on.

James
    @natdebtline

I've called the people who set up my DPP. They are calling me on Monday morning to review things.

I'm absolutely terrified though, as my next installment is due pretty soon, and the amount of money I've lost this month is about 40% of my DPP repayment. If that payment goes through in full, I'll have no money left for food this month.

Next month, assuming I'm well enough to go back at the end of my new sickline, it will be about 80% of my DPP repayment. If I'm not well enough to return, not only will I be unable to pay that, I also wont be able to make my car HP payment, mobile phone bill or even food.

I already knew my work t&c's were poor, I just didn't know they were this bad.
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    OK - are your employers working pro-actively to manage stress in the environment? The HSE have specific guidelines on this - it may be worth you having a google and read. Only use the actual Health & Safety executive site though of you might get all sorts of dodgy feedback! There's some stuff HERE as a starting point.

Understand precisely what you mean about medication too - neither did I - and the good news is I haven't had to either. For some people it can be a salvation - for others it's a route they choose not to take, but neither option is "wrong" (or indeed "right"!)

Speak to National Debtline or your DPP administrator first, but if your payment is due to go by Direct Debit can you cancel it and make arrangements to Bank transfer for what you CAN afford on the due date instead?

I take it you have read your employment contract and it does allow for your employer to do this?
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    she/her
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Further thought - can I suggest you put yourself together an SOA so you can see exactly what your base - "essential" - costs are each month?
    she/her
  • AdviceSought
    Options
    OK - are your employers working pro-actively to manage stress in the environment? The HSE have specific guidelines on this - it may be worth you having a google and read. Only use the actual Health & Safety executive site though of you might get all sorts of dodgy feedback! There's some stuff HERE as a starting point.

Understand precisely what you mean about medication too - neither did I - and the good news is I haven't had to either. For some people it can be a salvation - for others it's a route they choose not to take, but neither option is "wrong" (or indeed "right"!)

Speak to National Debtline or your DPP administrator first, but if your payment is due to go by Direct Debit can you cancel it and make arrangements to Bank transfer for what you CAN afford on the due date instead?

I take it you have read your employment contract and it does allow for your employer to do this?

I'm not sure how much can actually be done from a work point of view. The only way I can imagine things could be solved, would be more staff, and therefore allowing me to concentrate only on the things I should actually be doing, but that's not something that is feasible for the business.

Just checked my contact, it states:
    In the event of sickness absence from work, the Employee will receive Company Sick pay in accordance with their continuous service with the Company as indicated below:

Three - six months: 1 week full pay
    Six months + : 4 weeks full pay

The amount of sick pay is calculated on a rolling 12-month basis from anniversary of commencement date. When the maximum period of benefit has been received, the Employee will not be entitled to further benefit until a further period of 26 weeks has been worked.

Company sick pay means the Employee's regular basic earnings at the time of commencement of absence.

Payment of Company Sick Pay will be made less Statutory Sick Pay (as detailed in Employee Handbook) and all other normal payroll deductions.

It should be noted that Company Sick Pay is granted for genuine personal sickness only and is at the discretion of the Company.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As long as you can review the payment plan on Monday before the payment is due you can adjust the standing order, or however you’re paying it.

A DPP is viable as long as it isn’t realistically going to take over 10 years to clear your debts, and even then some people have remaining debt written off if it would take longer. As your affordability issues are hopefully temporary I really don’t see why it would be an issue to let you reduce the instalments right down for now, and increase them once you’re back to work.

To help tide you over it’s worth checking whether you’re eligible for any financial assistance through a charitable grant on Turn2us:

https://grants-search.turn2us.org.uk/?_ga=1.168222561.171820161.1477673368

Give us a call if you want to talk things through with an adviser. We're open until 8pm tonight and 9.30am - 1pm tomorrow.

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    I'm not sure how much can actually be done from a work point of view. The only way I can imagine things could be solved, would be more staff, and therefore allowing me to concentrate only on the things I should actually be doing, but that's not something that is feasible for the business.

Have a read of that HSE link anyway - it makes various suggestions of what you can do as well as what your employer needs to be doing. If there is currently over a sustained period too much work for the people who are there to cope with then it's in their interests to manage the situation to avoid people going off sick and thus compounding things. There may be stuff there that you can take forwards with them as part of a back-to-work meeting.

So how long have you been in your employment with this company? This isn't simply an error that someone has hit "SSP" rather than -paying you your salary with SSP deducted, is it?
    she/her
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business