Pet Plan Experiences?

This is more of a rant I guess.

Unfortunately my 1 year old cat was run over last Friday - she suffered facial injuries and a broken leg.

She is covered by Pet Plan lifetime plan... but... I only took out the policy the Monday before the accident(!) There is a 14 day exclusion for illness and pre-existing conditions.

I have been through the policy Ts&Cs with a fine toothcomb and there is nothing in there to suggest an accident / trauma is not covered in the 14 day exclusion zone.

However, I called Pet Plan to check this fact and they said to me "we don't make assessments over the phone, we don't decide claims over the phone and it's up to you as a pet owner to decide what treatment to go for"

I said to them - ok - well I have been given an option to either amputate her leg or a much more expensive option of saving it (cost £2000). I said how do I know if she is covered. Their follow the script and must not deviate from it at all response was "that's up to you as a pet owner to decide"

I should technically have £7000 of fees each year. Due to complications we are now £5000 in to treatment. I can't quite believe it - we've come this far - we might as well see it through. But this has been a very stressful experience not helped at all by Pet Plan's unsympathetic response. All of the fees have been wacked on to my credit card - hardly got any credit left now - and I am just praying the vets get the forms in ASAP so we get paid out.

Please share some positive stories of Pet Plan to alleviate my extremely high stress levels.

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Petplan will not confirm a claim over the phone as they do not have the full details of the circumstances or the treatment given.

They may be prepared to confirm whether they will pay out to your vet as he will be able to provide full details of the injuries and treatment.
  • rhino_horn
    rhino_horn Posts: 106 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Yes I know that... And they said to me that is an option. But it takes at least 5 working days to assess.

I said to them I have a cat with an open fracture on her foot and her face completely mashed. I can't wait 5 days for you to assess the claim, I have to make a decision now.

It would be nice to have a speeded up option for medical emergencies / trauma just to make the process a bit easier.
  • LusciousLuce
    LusciousLuce Posts: 89 Forumite
    So sorry to hear about your cat! How upsetting for you.

Just had a quick glance at PP's policy wording. They exclude illness within the first 14 days. This is not an illness - it's an accident. When I worked in practice I remember the PP rep telling us that cover for accidents started immediately.

They can't assess claims over the phone. Don't they offer a pre-authorisation facility? If so your vet can submit an estimate of costs and they'll tell you if the condition is covered and the costs are agreed.

That said, I believe Allianz claims are now assessed in India. Not sure if that would affect the timeframe for assessment.
  • rhino_horn
    Thank you that has reassured me. Fingers crossed the claim is assessed quickly.

My cat is coming home tomorrow with a feeding tube in to her stomach on 4 hourly feeds. It's going to be like having a baby all over again.
  • chris_n_tj
    chris_n_tj Posts: 2,659 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have only good words to say about PP. They have always paid up very fast and without quibble any claims that have been sent in over the years.
    I have used PP for almost 20 years now and hand on heart they have been understanding and very fair.
    I really feel for your Kitty and hope your Vet sorts her out ASAP, I really think PP will show you just how great they are when it comes to settling your bill. cuddles for you both xxxxx
    RIP TJ. You my be gone, but never forgotten. Always in our hearts xxx
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader.
    He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
  • rhino_horn
    I just thought I would update this...

£6000 of vets fees (so far) and our cat is well on the mend. Plaster cast hopefully coming off this Friday.

Anyhow, Petplan are paying out thank goodness - the money is still not in my account but I've got confirmation that the money is on its way.

My only criticism is the time it has taken... they said they have got a backlog of entering the claims on to the system - so it took over a week from receiving the forms to actually assessing them.

But, once they assessed the claim, it was approved pretty quickly so that was a relief.

I'm hoping the money will be in my account in time to clear my credit card balance :)
  • ElusiveLucy
    ElusiveLucy Posts: 686 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I have had PetPlan cover on my cats since I got them and unfortunately one was very ill. PetPlan were brilliant for me - they paid out claims really quickly and paid out right up to the £6000 limit I had. Unfortunately my cat then had to have an eye removed in the same year a result of her previous infection, so I had to pay for that, but 3 years on she is still with us.

TBH I would have gone ahead with treatment even if PP hadn't covered it, but I do feel for anyone who is reliant on the cover to make such a decision, it was such a stressful time.

Glad to hear your kitty is on the mend.
    What goes around comes around.....I hope!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure