re-mbam scan

Options

Comments

• joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    edited 19 April 2017 at 2:28PM
    Options
    DavidP24 wrote: »
    Personally I doubt you have been hacked or have a rootkit, I suspect that Malwarebytes is throwing a wobley.

However, if you are unsure you can go to Bleeping Computer, they walk complete novices through testing every day.

They will start with a few utils that report config etc, they they advise you to run things like Combofix as and when necessary.

Thanks David, now I think mbam is throwing a wobbler too, but just wanted to be sure.
    I will try as you say, but, after exhausting other avenues.
    Doing a boot scan now, but know it will be clear.:cool:
    This from the eternal pessimist:)
    Will try forum next, if mbam still continues to wobble.
    Do too much internet banking to ignore it now.:beer:

edited;; boot scan clear.
    BUT, when I tried Mbam, I got dialogue box,;
    Program failed to start ,Qt5 Quicktime.dll is missing.
    try re-installing.
    Just tried for 2nd time, and it fired up ok.
    Enabled Rootkit to scan, just after rootkit strated to scan, Beep, and blue screen again.
    Kernel-Data-Inpage-Error.??
    Then Crash Dump.
    Mbam certainly doesn't like Rootkit scan.
  • Gillor
    Gillor Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As previously mentioned why not uninstall MBAM using their clean-up tool and then do a fresh install?

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/196955-malwarebytes-mb-clean-tool/

Can't do any harm and might even solve the problem.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Word of warning regarding Combofix ..

Although it is a very powerful piece of software , it really is a kind of "5h1t or bust" solution and should only be used as a last resort.

It will either fix everything beautifully, or break everything irriversibly
  • Gillor
    Options
    joe134 wrote: »
    Enabled Rootkit to scan, just after rootkit strated to scan, Beep, and blue screen again.
    Kernel-Data-Inpage-Error.??
    Then Crash Dump...

If you download and install WhoCrashed it will analyse the crash dump and should give you a clue as to where the problem lies...

http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Something interesting to add re Mbam ..

Half way through a scan just now on a client machine, i got a popup that Mbam had finished quarentining selected items and advised i reboot now ..

The thing is, it was still half way through scanning and i could see it whizzing away in the background still scanning ..

Either Mbam is broken, or more likely some sneaky malware has hooked into its scanning routine and thrown up a fake message in the hope i will reboot before the scan is finished ..

What is the world coming to
  • hans_2
    hans_2 Posts: 420 Forumite
    Options
    Gillor wrote: »
    Great piece of software but if you are not sure what you are doing I would steer clear.

From Combofix website..

There is no legit Combofix website only Bleeping Computer.
  • Gillor
    Options
    hans_2 wrote: »
    There is no legit Combofix website only Bleeping Computer.

Ok, quote from Bleeping Computer website...
    Please note that running this program without supervision can cause your computer to not operate correctly. Therefore only run this program at the request of an experienced helper.

Same message - different messenger.
  • hans_2
    hans_2 Posts: 420 Forumite
    Options
    [
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Word of warning regarding Combofix ..

Although it is a very powerful piece of software , it really is a kind of "5h1t or bust" solution and should only be used as a last resort.

It will either fix everything beautifully, or break everything irriversibly

Bit of an OTT warning.

Can not recall any posts over last seven years where Combofix broke everything and it was recommended many times in that period

If OP disconnects anti virus and malwarebytes, closes browsers then follows the simple instructions , he will be ok. Patience to let Combofix run its course is paramount.
    Total Downloads: 45,768,120 Downloads last week: 72,908 December 02, 2016
    Must be doing something right.
  • Gillor
    Options
    Bit of an OTT warning

Really? OK try this one, again from Bleeping Computer...
    IMPORTANT!: If you ran or want to run ComboFix just to see what it does or finds, please be aware that ComboFix was never meant to be used as a general purpose malware scanner like SuperAntispyware or Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware which scan individual drives or different folders on a computer for viruses. If your machine is infected, also be aware that using it is only one part of the disinfection process. Preliminary scans from other tools like DDS, RSIT and GMER should be used first because they provide comprehensive logs with specific details about files, folders and registry keys which may have been modified by malware infection. Analysis of those logs allows planning an strategy for effective disinfection and a determination if using ComboFix is necessary.

Beeping Computer’s warnings are clear. If you choose to ignore them that is your choice but you really shouldn’t be encouraging others less experienced to do so.
    Can not recall any posts over last seven years where Combofix broke everything...

Should have gone to Specsavers:)
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    edited 20 April 2017 at 7:28AM
    Options
    Gillor wrote: »
    Really? OK try this one, again from Bleeping Computer...

Beeping Computer’s warnings are clear. If you choose to ignore them that is your choice but you really shouldn’t be encouraging others less experienced to do so.

Should have gone to Specsavers:)
    That's why I won't run combo.
    I know my own limits, and it sounds a tad drastic at present.

"IF" I have had a Rootkit inserted on my Pc during W7 upgrade, then it's been on over 2 years, so, it's had time to glean any info it required.

just looked at removing Mbam and re-installing it, BUT, I have a lifetime Key, and if I remove it, I may lose realtime ?
    been on that long now.
    FileHippo only have version 2.2

any advice appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills