PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The "what can I do with this" or "kitchen cupboard bugbear" thread

Comments

• Bumblebear wrote: »
    Hi Florence

Sounds like you've sorted your apple sauce, but if it's just plain apples I use it for overnight oats. I've got a jar in the cupboard for that very purpose. My issue is remembering to combine the two the night before :think: I'm going to make that my Easter resolution for the weekend :)

Ideas for red wine vinegar anyone? It's out of date, but considering it's just out of date wine I have no issue with this! I am slowly using up my white wine vinegar and cider vinegar in sauces etc - I don't think I use any of them enough to warrant purchasing again.

I use it in salad dressings

- red wine vinegar
    - double the amount of olive oil as the vinegar
    - salt
    - mustard
    - pepper

shake all together.
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,978
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Frozen double cream, just frozen in the carton, any ideas please? I understand that it will not be any good for whipping, but can it be made into butter or anything, or should I just scrap it?
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    maddiemay wrote: »
    Frozen double cream, just frozen in the carton, any ideas please? I understand that it will not be any good for whipping, but can it be made into butter or anything, or should I just scrap it?

you can stir it into soup or custard - even though the texture sometimes gets a little grainy or it separates slightly on defrosting, using it in something warm evens it out - don't boil though.

You can whip it & pipe it into shapes then freeze - for another time ;)
  • Chris25
    Forumite
    Bumblebear wrote: »
    Hi Florence

Ideas for red wine vinegar anyone? It's out of date, but considering it's just out of date wine I have no issue with this! I am slowly using up my white wine vinegar and cider vinegar in sauces etc - I don't think I use any of them enough to warrant purchasing again.

use it up making chutney
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Use your frozen cream to make butter. I did this a few days ago. Whips up far quicker than non frozen IYSWIM.
    I got about ten cartons reduced a wee while ago and CBA to do them so just chucked some in the freezer. Have been working my way through them. Will be freezing every carton of reduced cream from now on because the difference in time taken and electricity use is quite amazing.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Icing sugar. I have about half a packet taking up valuable cupboard space - and occupying a lock'n'lock box I could use for something else.

I don't do cake decorating any more, simply cba, and we've found that since Mr LW retired, if I make a cake, we eat it as dessert rather than as "extras" and don't need the extra calories icing would involve.

So any ideas to use the stuff up in recipes would be welcome. I do already have the pastry made with icing sugar recipe, but I rarely make sweet items that require pastry, so if it only gets used for that, it'll be kicking around for quite a while longer.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    LameWolf wrote: »
    Icing sugar. I have about half a packet taking up valuable cupboard space - and occupying a lock'n'lock box I could use for something else.

I don't do cake decorating any more, simply cba, and we've found that since Mr LW retired, if I make a cake, we eat it as dessert rather than as "extras" and don't need the extra calories icing would involve.

So any ideas to use the stuff up in recipes would be welcome. I do already have the pastry made with icing sugar recipe, but I rarely make sweet items that require pastry, so if it only gets used for that, it'll be kicking around for quite a while longer.

What about making a sweet treat for the mums and dads of your doggy visitors as part of a farewell pack? Like sugar /fondant mice or bones? :)
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Fondant bones - now there's a novel idea, I like that! :o
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Chris25
    Forumite
    red wine vinegar - use a splash or two when braising red cabbage
  • There's no such thing as a use by date for vinegar so just use it up as normal. It's like salt and sugar, one of those things that will keep good for years. Sometimes it develops a film on top which is the 'vinegar mother' and if you add leftover red wine to top up the bottle and leave the lid off but cover it with muslin or a loose weave cloth to keep insects out you will in a few weeks find that you have a full bottle of vinegar, magic stuff!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure