Application form advice

I am applying for a job with the civil service.I used to work for a different branch but 6 years ago,I became very depressed when my marriage broke up and the kids were moved 100 miles away.Hit the bottle and wound up in rehab.How do I phrase this on the application form.I`m sure that I can explain it all ok in an interview,but I don`t want the form to go straight in the bin.
Thanks.

Comments

• suffolkb
    suffolkb Posts: 1,299 Forumite
    Follow up question.The form wants me to give 2 referees who are not employers or relatives.Anyone out there in HR who can suggest what they are expecting here?
  • becky004
    becky004 Posts: 5,158 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    On one of mine they asked for vicar ( i dont go to church!)/ bank manager/ close friend who was a professional
    I love this board, have "virtually" met so many lovely people, people I am honoured to count as friends.
    March Wins - Product Of The Year Goody Bag

• Red_Elle
    Red_Elle Posts: 476 Forumite
    I'm in recruitment/HR and would suggest putting 'career break' in the gap on an application form. There's no way you can make this sound good on a form, so it's not worth trying. I am not sure that I would even mention it at interview to be honest.
    It's not that you won't get the job based on that, but so many people apply for civil service jobs. Sometimes, if all the applicants are good, employers find silly reasons to not select people as it might be hard to choose someone. It's like buying a house with a crack running through it; a red flag. Employers look for red flags at interview.
    I spent time in a psychiatric unit and once mentioned this in an interview for a job in that kind of environment. I could see that it didn't go down well as soon as I said it. It's not fair, but it does happen.

At interview I would say that you took some time out after the breakdown of your marriage, to reassess what you wanted to do and where you wanted to live.

With regards to references, it is a good idea to go with someone who you have known for a while and is ideally in a professional role. For example, I would pick a friend of mine who has known me for 5 years and is a Manager and an ex colleague. You could ask anyone really, but try for someone you know well and is a professional. I have known people get them from their solicitor/doctor/bank manager, that kind of thing.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Good advice from Red_Ellle, also 'prime' your referees first to make sure they don't say anything inappropriate.

Having said that, you MIGHT choose to use someone professional from rehab days. Don't know.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport