Blue Badge Aprking

Options

Comments

• mouseymousey99
    Options
    I will pay for parking - if - the space is there (ie I don't have to drive round in circles, usually while a delivery van or a pizza van takes its time)...The space should be there....If its not, then we are talking human rights.

Its not 'the same as everyone else' - as we have no choice but to use the **** car. Don't start me on mummy & baby spaces - .. that should put the cat among the pidgeons..
    Blue badge for mental health? I don't know, but I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks.

Our local councillors have awarded themselves free parking in the city centre - is this fair??

I'm getting my shopping delivered, I can't do it in the allocated 20 mins (ha cant get out the bleep bleep car in that time). Perish the thought I may want to go to more than one shop - what I mean is all the time on the meter has to be paid for.
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I will pay for parking - if - the space is there

At our local hospital it is free to park with a blue badge, but ONLY in marked disabled bays. Well I have driven round that car park at all times of the day, and I swear, there isn;t a single disabled bay on that car park. I think they disappeared when the new restaurant was built and no-one thought to replace them (I keep meaning to write to the hospital about it, but what with one thing and another).
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • oystercatcher
    Options
    There is uproar locally as our local hospital is planning to start charging blue badge holders if they aren't in a blue badge bay and there are very few bays.

It's ridiculous, not only will a disabled person have to park in an inconvenient space if there are no disabled bays available, they then have to pay for the pleasure of it , and possibly walk a long distance to get the ticket and display it !

Oystercatcher
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • colin13
    colin13 Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Options
    I have a blue badge and if a space is avaliable I will use it if not i will try and park somewhere on street where i am not ob structing anything,, this on at least 2 occasions has led to me gettin parking tickets,, once I parked with 2 wheels on pavement so tht the traffic could keep flowing,,a ticket from a police man for parking on pavment,,and anothr time i was parked in a loading bay (which i didnt notice) again off the road so tht i would not stop flow of traffic,, i will not just park anywhere i try to b considarate and sometimes it has come back and bit me on the bum,,so having a blue badge deffo does not and should not give u anything over and above the rules of the road,,and greedy car parks :)
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Hi everyone

I've had to remove a few posts from this thread.

The Dosh and Disability board's in tonight's email so please can everyone remember to keep posts friendly and on topic and show new people coming through from the email that it's a friendly place to be?

Thanks for your help

Andrea :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • itsybitsy
    Options
    i got a parking ticket for parking in dunlop st carpark as well like you i was not aware it was different, we spoke to parking attendant who advised us to appeal it as it is the only carpark in glasgow that the council charge for

my advice to you is to appeal it on that basis, any time i have appealed i have been successful, it helps to give them a made up sob story too
  • FabSascha
    Options
    OK I'm getting involved in the ruck.....please don't shoot me down! I get that a lot of people on here feel that disabled people should pay for parking as everyone else should which is fair enough. But the problem I have is that the reason people have to pay for parking is because they're choosing to drive to the place where they're parking, whereas I don't have that choice as I have a substantial physical disability, so if I can't park near somewhere I don't have the option of parking further away (where the parking is free) or taking the bus, I just can't go to that place or I HAVE to pay. So able people are paying for the luxury choice of parking near where they want to be, whereas I'm expected to pay for the neccessity? It doesn't make sense to me. I know we get extra benefits to help with such things but those extra benefits barely cover one area of the many extra expenses that come with my disability. So able people are paying for the luxury and I'm paying for the neccessity.

Also, regarding the discrimination (oh yes I'm getting stuck in now), I believe that discrimination is when those who are disabled are made to feel disabled, to put it bluntly. So extra measures are taken for disabled people to have the same standard of living as able people. If disabled people are struggling to park, then have to go home rather than park further away or take a bus/train, are we then living the same way as able people?

There's my two pence worth! Tear it apart people.......
    Never argue with an idiot; they'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
  • DJBenson
    DJBenson Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    FabSascha wrote: »
    OK I'm getting involved in the ruck.....please don't shoot me down! I get that a lot of people on here feel that disabled people should pay for parking as everyone else should which is fair enough. But the problem I have is that the reason people have to pay for parking is because they're choosing to drive to the place where they're parking, whereas I don't have that choice as I have a substantial physical disability, so if I can't park near somewhere I don't have the option of parking further away (where the parking is free) or taking the bus, I just can't go to that place or I HAVE to pay. So able people are paying for the luxury choice of parking near where they want to be, whereas I'm expected to pay for the neccessity? It doesn't make sense to me. I know we get extra benefits to help with such things but those extra benefits barely cover one area of the many extra expenses that come with my disability. So able people are paying for the luxury and I'm paying for the neccessity.

Also, regarding the discrimination (oh yes I'm getting stuck in now), I believe that discrimination is when those who are disabled are made to feel disabled, to put it bluntly. So extra measures are taken for disabled people to have the same standard of living as able people. If disabled people are struggling to park, then have to go home rather than park further away or take a bus/train, are we then living the same way as able people?

There's my two pence worth! Tear it apart people.......

Can't see how anybody would "shoot you down" for that post. I agree with you 100%. Despite me being in the "the OP should have paid" camp, I am myself a disabled badge holder (I have rheumatoid arthritis) so do make use of my badge from time to time.

The point is though, the onus of eligibility of using such a badge is on the owner. If you park in a car park without first checking signs (which is actually one of the terms of using the blue badge scheme) then you cannot realistically come on a public forum and complain of receiving a fine as the original poster did. He made the choice to NOT check signs and park without paying the relevant fee (thus breaking a. the rules of using the car park and b. the terms of using his blue badge).

Where I could go off on one is the number of people using these things who are quite clearly not entitled to them...maybe if they clamped down on those people there'd be more spaces for us legitimate users...but that's another thread altogether...
  • EssEmmTee
    Options
    I think that the attitude displayed by the poster Mortimerrankine does no favours for us Blue Badge holders.

Also, I have looked at the various information in relation to the scheme and it appears that the only difference between Scotland and the rest of the UK is:

In Scotland there is no time limit when parking on yellow lines and/or an on street parking meter BUT in the rest of UK you have to display the time clock and are limited to 3 hours.

But as this is irrelevant to the original posting which relates to OFF road parking I suppose I have just wasted 60 seconds writing this :D

ps. no disabled persons (myself included) were discriminated against whilst writing this.;)

Steve
  • bobmccluckie
    Options
    the number of people using these things who are quite clearly not entitled to them

My toes curl every time I read this. How do you know who is or isn't entitled to a blue card? Do they need to in a wheelchair or barely able to put one foot in front of the other to satisfy you? My daughter has a blue badge after 3 brain tumours left her partially sighted with 50% vision loss, no use of left arm and weakened left leg. She manages to 'hide' it very well and at a quick glance I'm sure you'd say you didn't think she was entitled. I can assure you she is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure