greent's mfw journey

Comments

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    This month is just flying past! DS1 is 2.5 exams down (currently in his Psych AS paper 2 as I type :D) and 2.5 to go. DD's last exam at uni is this coming Friday. I've been at work every day, mostly split between the 2 different schools. This week, thankfully, is only at the one (my preferred) school - makes it easier for my head to deal with (they operate quite differently) - although I had my first ever Erratum Notice to deal with this morning :)

An extension for OH is almost confirmed now - he is just thinking of it as paying for kitchen and a holiday in Oct :) - a 3 month extension will run us right up to half term in Oct, which works nicely. It's currently stupidly long hours-time again as the next phase is being rolled out with what he's doing. He is home nearly every Thurs night, though, so that's better than it was - and the extension will mean working from home on Mon and Fri, so only away Tues & Weds nights:T Will be a hard Summer hols, though - I must find some nice things for the children to do!

£1000 paid to BTL sub acct 3 earlier this month - only £1450ish to clear that one now, so I shall hopefully manage that over the Summer. Rent did arrive in the end. I did see on fbook though that he has had his bike stolen (was posted on a local selling page for people to keep an eye out, just in case) - wonder if that will have an impact for next month.....

Hmm... other news - was smallest one's 8th birthday yesterday - much Leg0 entered the house as a result and has already been constructed :) Most of the stuff I bought was (of course) purchased with the aid of cashback/ vouchers/ discount codes :)

Looking forward to half term next week - will hopefully be able to use the time doing some nice bits and also prepping for June - which is a busy month - DS1 has 5 uni open day visits in June, DD is coming back from uni (thankfully on a weekend where there is NO open day visits scheduled!:)) and I think I am at work every day bar 1! (I'm not even thinking about possibly organising the kitchen fit yet during June- waiting until after this week's meeting - although I have already chosen my new range - almost the same as our existing one (on last legs - needs some expensive repairs doing if we were to keep it which would cost more than half the price of a new one) - but purple.....:smileyhea:smileyhea

xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Brilliant news about the extension! :j
    Well done on the successful Lego trip. :)
    Fingers crossed for the invigilating.
    Loving the sound of your new range.
    You always seem so busy! I don't know where you get your energy from.
    I'm working in the day and doing up the house in the evenings and I'm shattered all the time.
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    tattycath wrote: »
    Brilliant news about the extension! :j
    Well done on the successful Lego trip. :)
    Fingers crossed for the invigilating.
    Loving the sound of your new range.
    You always seem so busy! I don't know where you get your energy from.
    Seconded! And now OH will be home a *bit* more, but still tough. You can do it, greent :)

Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • greent
    So..... they've officially offered the extension now - running until Dec (20th? - 21st? - somewhere around there) and have said 3 days in the office/ 2 at home is acceptable (and have also agreed more flexibility around the time of back to school when DS2 starts a new school) Week or so off in Oct (half term - we WILL go away on holiday then) and a few odd days in the Summer hols (couple of long weekends) They are also giving him 2 days off paid to make up for some (a few!) of the many extra hours he has worked so far - he is taking those in June, as he was taking 2 days off to take DS1 to midweek uni open days anyway, so he now still gets paid for those :T

OH's contract for his Mon-Fri rental ends 22nd July. He is probably not going to extend it - the cooking facilities there are minimal, so has been eating mainly takeouts which we can't claim for as an expense as he is in self-catering style accom. If he stays in a hotel 2 nights/ week he can claim for all of his meals as well as taking an overnight allowance from the co. Also, the Mon-Fri rental is not VAT-able, whereas hotel and meals are generally likely to be - so we can then use these in our quarterly VAT returns against the VAT charged (moving from flat-rate scheme) We have agreed that if it (the extended contract) is breaking either of us that he will give notice. Other than that we are treating the extension as kitchen/ holiday etc funding - and no more extensions after that!

Kitchen news..... met with designer this week. No financial benefit in doing it in July, so I am thinking Sept/ Oct (Aug with all children at home sounds like waaay too much hassle) Re-jigged her design somewhat (random corner wall cupboard given in the design when I was already on about possibly losing some wall cupboards... that's now gone, along with some weird (not my style) boxing in of extractor above range (am thinking of a clean lines glass one) and reduced the size of the bin cupboard/ drawer unit so that I could gain a cupboard (am already losing a whole (small) cupboard sized space from current layout because we're moving from a lay-on door design to an in-frame design, so the units therefore take up more space) She's gone on holiday now for half term, so I will get re-jigged design and quote w/ comm 05/06, which is fine (quote likely to increase, I suspect, as I changed some other things) I will try and sell some of our existing kitchen - it is quality work, just not really working for us now.

Half term now - looking forward to the rest from work, but have lots of admin and housework to catch up on- and also spend some decent time doing things with kids. Have done nothing today, though - OH and I went out for dinner last night and were both unwell in the night :(:( - shame, as it was a lovely evening and we also bumped into OH's best friend from school, who joined us for a drink too, which was lovely :)

DD has finished her exams at uni now - coming home in 2 weeks. We are looking to re-do her bedroom - move things around and go from single to double bed, etc. Likely to involve going from a huuuuge desk to a smaller one (should be fine to do) and losing one of those coloured/ clear plastic sets of drawers on wheels (filled with stationery at present....) - the set of drawers might be handy storage for her flat next year - the bathroom doesn't have any storage, I don't think - so the drawers would possibly work in there.

Time for a cuppa and try and *do* something now, I think, although I still feel nauseous after last night :(

Wishing you all a lovely BH weekend! :):)
    xx
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    That sounds a very good contract for OH! Excellent stuff, especially rejigging the place he's staying and the meals and VAT.

So sorry you were both up so long and so unwell :( that really sounds like food poisoning :(
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Don't put the dishwasher next to a parallel wall like we did!
  • chumpy45
    chumpy45 Posts: 495 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Fab news about's Mr GT's job extension, really pleased for you. My DH has always worked away either in the UK or overseas, and it's not easy it is. Lots of juggling required! New kitchen sounds exciting, we are currently just thinking of swapping doors although that is quickly becoming far more involved than I thought! Sorry to hear you were both unwell, hope you have recovered now. Good luck with the rest of exam season.
    Starting Mortgage 01.08.08 £171,209.24. [STRIKE]01.08.16 £42,418.93[/STRIKE]; [STRIKE]01.02.17 £36,584.00[/STRIKE]; [STRIKE]01.04.17 £34,694.7[/STRIKE]1 [STRIKE][STRIKE]09.06.17 £32,828.89 MFW Target date Sept 2017; :[/STRIKE][/STRIKE]) [STRIKE]06.08.18 £24,769.47[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]01.11.18 £23,825.00[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]22.01.19 £21,990.00[/STRIKE] [STRIKE][STRIKE]06.02.19 £21,200[/STRIKE][/STRIKE] [STRIKE]03.03.19 £19,862.93[/STRIKE][STRIKE]01.05.19 £18,509.63[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]01.08.19 £16,750.00[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]01.10.19 £15,400.00[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]01.11.19 £14,700.00[/STRIKE] 01.12.19 £13,956.00 01.02.20 £12,503.61 01.04.20 £10,999.00
  • greent
    New kitchen layout will be similar to existing (in terms of sink/ dishwasher/ wm and oven) - but we do have a drain hole in the floor we need to deal with (dishwasher is balanced on a piece of granite over it!) - for some reason there is no cover and quite a large hole.......

So - it's the last day of the month. Have just sent off OH's timesheet and invoice for May :) We've been paid and I've transferred the money from both invigilating jobs to the kitchen fund :D I also sold our tent yesterday, so have transferred that amount to the KF too :) (massive 8m x 5m tent - too big for us now, really) I've got a wad of cash in my purse now from the tent sale, so will have to remember to pay for things in cash to use it up - have a hair and eyebrows apt tomorrow, so that will use some and also need to pay for DS2's end of Y6 event and tshirt, so that will use some more - and then I suspect the rest will be used on food shopping (I don't like carrying much cash around - I'm not used to it! :D) Credit card bills have been paid (small ones this month - I've been trying to use debit card more)

Company accounts for last year were signed off yesterday - as OH didn't have a contract for basically all of it we are due a corporation tax rebate - yeay! Personal tax paperwork has gone to accountant to complete SAs too - from an initial quick calculation of mine I *think* we'll get a small personal tax rebate each as well (which will go to KF! :D)

Life is trundling on - June is busy once school restarts - I am working every day bar 1 and every weekend involves a uni visit with DS1 (except the one which involves a uni visit to collect DD!) - and there are 2 midweek ones. June also means a school residential trip for DS2 and some morning visits to his new school and a lot of line-learning for the end of year school play (Shakespeare - can't remember which one!) DS1 has 1 more AS exam left - but then a week of end of year 12 exams at the end of the month! I suspect that we will all be rather tired come July!

We've just come back from Sains who are being great - they're running a swap venture for the LEg0 trading cards they've been giving away - well, I say swap - we gave them our few swaps and managed to complete two whole sets for nothing - fab customer service! We hadn't bought any albums, though - and they've now sold out :( (and are going for crazy money on ebay! :() But all credit to Sains for this bit of customer service to enable children to complete their sets :)

x
  • greent
    The first day of a new month and budgets have been decided, monies transferred etc - although I still do need to pay OH his expenses from the co :) I have spent £32 on personal care (dry hair cut and eyebrow wax and tint) - I usually have a wcb, but my usual stylist is on mat leave, so I went for a cheapy dry cut instead. Haven't had my brows done in ages (at least 18 months) so I'm not really an expensive person to maintain :)

Have been re-reading Tilly's diary from the start - makes for an enjoyable read :)

Our neighbour's house has gone on the market last week. Beautiful garden but not family (small children and pets) friendly. D!cor very much dated (they are in their late 70s) so people will need to look past that. We do live in a very quiet cul-de-sac so that's a bonus. Hope we get nice new neighbours - the current ones are lovely. Price of their house also is good news for us as it's actually a smidge more than we conservatively valued ours at - and ours is bigger (extra bedroom, extra bathroom, 2 extra reception rooms) - although obviously that's only a paper gain in our 'wealth' :D Still nice to know, though :)

Am hoping to pay off another £1k on BTL later this month - that then leaves around £450 on sub account 3, which I'll look to clear in July, hopefully. Any capital repayments will then be directed to sub account one, as that has a repayment date 4 years sooner than sub account 2. Depending upon how much we need to top DD up at uni/ how much kitchen comes in at eventually depends how much I may pay off it before Xmas (I'm hoping for another £2k from rental income without any input from us (and assuming no crazy unexpected btl related bills come in) That would put 2017's capital repayments then at (min) just under £5500 - about 165% of the target I set for 2017 :)) I'd look to do the same amount (ish) in 2018 and then hopefully ramp it up 2019 onwards. I just need to make sure OH doesn't want to trade in his car and get a new one again! (although we may well purchase a small car for DD and DS1 to share use of in hols with OH maybe using it for commuting occasionally (currently commutes in a 2L 7 seater car - not the most economical way to do it!)

My mum has generously given us £20k for the children. I've put 3k each for the smalls into NS&I children's bonds (easy option) and popped the rest currently into PSB whilst I look at what else to do with it (I know the likelihood of a win is getting less and less but I want quick access to it when I do decide and in the meantime, you never know!) I want to tie up the teenagers' share too - am thinking 3k each in NS&I bond for 3 years @ 2.2% (I think) and then unsure what to do with the rest (so £2k each). Whilst 5K each isn't going to go *that* far, I would like it to be spent/used towards something at the time on something noticeable, rather than general spending. Plus they also have a similar amount still tied up in my name re: each of them which I'm planning on them having at the same time (after graduation, at the least)

Wm has finally finished (didn't go on until late, due to late emergence with dirty washing from his room of DS1) - gorgeous day, so I shall go and hang it out now :)
    xx
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Don't put the dishwasher next to a parallel wall like we did!

Having never lived in a house with a dishwasher, and given that I assume that most of the walls in my house do run parallel to other walls, I am totally flummoxed by this statement! I have absolutely no idea what it means :rotfl:!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback